Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Those are some vibrant colors!

Thanks. They're actual not as vibrant as they should be. Those pics are taken through 1/2" green tinted plate glass. Im digging around trying to find somefull tank shots. I had this reef set up from 1994-2012...I actually have pics of the tank before digital cameras were around!

I really like that Fuji, my wife wanted something like that and ended up with a Nex-7, I enjoy using it and it is always in the car ready to use. I have only recently moved to digital and I am finding the learning curve tougher than I thought it would be, photoshop is just frustrating for me. Oh how I miss my darkroom....lol

My Fuji was a switch from a hybrid system 2 years ago. I shot 120 film on a Mamiya 645AF, developed it in my kitchen, scanned it, and then used Lightroom for post and printing on an Epson R2400. I don't like doing a lot of post, so I found that Lightroom had about the right level of photographic control for my style. I very much enjoyed what can be done with film. And I like the arcane process. I got very tired though of lugging around the 120 kit - too heavy and bulky. Also, I wanted to do more color, and that would involve another outside step for developing and scanning. It got a bit pricey. I'm enjoying the digital and certainly some aspects of it are stupendous.

The small college where I work has a nice digital photography course, but the instructor also has them making pinhole cameras and mixing chemicals to make their own photo paper. More old school Photoshop. Some of the students come up up with some great pics.

Bruce

• Moderators
Example from the small camera with wide angle lens, and me standing a few feet from subjects.

Pictures like that are my favorite to take, low light street scenes. Got a new lens just for that 50mm 1.8, I love it, I did kind of mess up it acts as a 75mm on a DX camera, should have got the 35mm instead.

I have a 18-135mm, handy but not the quality of the fixed lens, I love wide angle but a fixed wide angles with low F are expensive for a dslr.

Some really amazing shots in this post. Mine pale in comparison but here are some of my favorites.

Coast Guard helicopter flying overhead - Mardi Gras parade route - 2009

DSC_0906_1144.jpg

Another passion of mine - 1980's BMX/Freestyle bikes

DSC_2428.jpg

Wife and daughter

DSC_1151.jpg

My daughter at about 1 1/2 years old

DSCN3398.jpg

• Like 5

Hey! No baby or family pictures HERE! This is a stereo post. Ya can't show your new boat, New baby, Pick up, Well maybe if pickup has a stereo in it. Babies I guess would be OK if they were twins, that way they could cry in stereo. Certainly no GUNS, unless you refer to them as "Brooms or Noisemakers."

Ahh Heck, All your pictures are good.

Welcome to the chaos we call the forum!

John

Edited by Taz
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Nice pictures Comay, when I was first scrolling down I only seen the background bike first and thought, that's terrible, until I went down a little further. :D

Really like the wife and baby pic and in the last one the water looks cool.

• Like 2

• Moderators
With an f/2 lens and the newer sensors that can shoot really high ISO nighttime is fabulous. I never take a tripod.

I haven't tried the 1.8 with higher ISO yet, I would think it will do better than the slower lenses I have, hopefully less noise. I had to go with a really high ISO with the slower lenses which only made it worse.

A tripod wouldn't help much with people moving around anyway, the building would have looked good but that's it.

Nice pictures and pretty steady for 1/30, also the camera is doing really good for 800 ISO, hard to beat lighting like that.

Max2,

That bottom photo is really cool. What are we looking at?

Thank you Mdeneen. Those are pieces of Coral that I cut from my Coral head colonies. They are cut, then superglued to a ceramic "plug" and then left to grow out and heal for 3-4 weeks. I would overnight them to old Reef club members for their tank.

Unlike the other pics, this pic was taken with a water box. It basically a clear acrylic box that fits around your camera that you dip down into the tank for your shot. No green glass tinting of the colors that you look through from a glass tank and its the way you would see them if you were diving. A lot more colors in the ocean than a bag of skittles!

814482207_YnC9Q-L.jpg

This coral on the right is called Ice/Fire Echinata. Known as a bottle brush coral from its structure. Its origins come from the Land Down under and the reefs of Indonesia. A primo 1" frag went from $75-$150 10 years ago. Out of all my coral, this was by far the most valuable.

814220475_3UDTp-L.jpg

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1

Mark, he sure is entertaining, my wife has been watching him for hours, he's just hanging out, makes a few chirps, goes to the feeder, chases off the other males. Must be that time of the year, needs a good woman!

Edit: My mistake, that is a female....

Edited by oldenough

• Moderators
Those are pieces of Coral that I cut from my Coral head colonies.

Did a 75 gallon reef tank for few years, it can get to be really expensive but beautiful. It had a lighting system that would start out with Actinic bulbs and a little later the Metal Halide would come on, I loved to watch all the invertebrates come alive and open up.

I wish I would have known a place to buy grafts like you had it would have been better than what I was doing. I would go to any place with reef tanks I could find, even when on vacation just to look for something different. It can be addicting looking for something new, this was back when they were starting to ban live rock and prices were going crazy.

I ran into a man who had just retired from the military and he had always wanted a reef tank but moved often. After getting to know him and how much he wanted a tank I decided to get away from it and sold the whole setup to him. I sold it for less than a quarter of what it had cost me but after having had all the animals and coral for years I felt good about it and the time was right, it was easy knowing he would take care of everything which as you know is a big deal.

After missing it for a while I started something new (for me) Garden ponds and Japanese Koi. Even got into breeding Koi and selling them, the pond thing was fun, especially building waterfalls. We also collected and grew water lilies and bog plants for fun.

Like Paul Harvey would say, now the rest of the story.......

Just to show how you never know how things will turn out everyone who seen the pond wanted one. It turned into a business, I quit my job as a restaurant manager and started building ponds with Koi, fully planted with tropical water lilies and bog plants. It was just my wife and I with occasional help.

After a while people wanted more than just ponds, they wanted us to also do around the ponds and the rest of the yard, that required a state test and a license.

Well almost 20 year later I have to say that reef tank led me into easily the most fun job of my life, you just never know. We quit, not by choice but by hurricane, landscaping is not very important when your house is trashed and rebuilding is very slow, but we do now have 10 ponds roughly 20'x 40' were seeding again with tropical water lilies which we will sell later, or just look at ?

My name here when I signed up was from our business name, down to earth landscaping = dtel

Sorry for going on so long but your pictures brought back great memories. :emotion-21: Ok carry, on enough :pwk_bs: for one day.

• Like 1

I have ordered a couple of alloy prints that have turned out really good. The color and depth of the finished print is crazy good. They look like they have been poured on like a liquid and just pop hanging on a wall. They give an almost 3D look without a frame. Long story short. I would like you guys to tell me which processed version of these you like the best. Thx!

The original.

IMG_2075.jpg

PP'd versions

IMG_2075x2.jpg

IMG_2075x5.jpg

IMG_2075x9.jpg

I prefer the original, but I know that you have to see the "alloy prints" with your own eyes to appreciate them, the effect doesn't come across on a 'puter screen... :)

PS, I do appreciate a nice pair of legs tho'....thanks.

Edited by oldenough
  • Like 1

• Moderators
I have ordered a couple of alloy prints that have turned out really good. The color and depth of the finished print is crazy good. They look like they have been poured on like a liquid and just pop hanging on a wall. They give an almost 3D look without a frame. Long story short. I would like you guys to tell me which processed version of these you like the best.

I like the original best, but I'd choose the first processed one of the 3.

I just recently had some black and whites printed on metallic paper... the result is amazing. Much better contrast and pick up of tones.

Those are pieces of Coral that I cut from my Coral head colonies.

Did a 75 gallon reef tank for few years, it can get to be really expensive but beautiful. It had a lighting system that would start out with Actinic bulbs and a little later the Metal Halide would come on, I loved to watch all the invertebrates come alive and open up.

I wish I would have known a place to buy grafts like you had it would have been better than what I was doing. I would go to any place with reef tanks I could find, even when on vacation just to look for something different. It can be addicting looking for something new, this was back when they were starting to ban live rock and prices were going crazy.

I ran into a man who had just retired from the military and he had always wanted a reef tank but moved often. After getting to know him and how much he wanted a tank I decided to get away from it and sold the whole setup to him. I sold it for less than a quarter of what it had cost me but after having had all the animals and coral for years I felt good about it and the time was right, it was easy knowing he would take care of everything which as you know is a big deal.

After missing it for a while I started something new (for me) Garden ponds and Japanese Koi. Even got into breeding Koi and selling them, the pond thing was fun, especially building waterfalls. We also collected and grew water lilies and bog plants for fun.

Like Paul Harvey would say, now the rest of the story.......

Just to show how you never know how things will turn out everyone who seen the pond wanted one. It turned into a business, I quit my job as a restaurant manager and started building ponds with Koi, fully planted with tropical water lilies and bog plants. It was just my wife and I with occasional help.

After a while people wanted more than just ponds, they wanted us to also do around the ponds and the rest of the yard, that required a state test and a license.

Well almost 20 year later I have to say that reef tank led me into easily the most fun job of my life, you just never know. We quit, not by choice but by hurricane, landscaping is not very important when your house is trashed and rebuilding is very slow, but we do now have 10 ponds roughly 20'x 40' were seeding again with tropical water lilies which we will sell later, or just look at ?

My name here when I signed up was from our business name, down to earth landscaping = dtel

Sorry for going on so long but your pictures brought back great memories. :emotion-21: Ok carry, on enough :pwk_bs: for one day.

Cool story Dtel. I was always curious of your dtel "handle". You're right. Reefing is not cheap. I was running 4, 6 foot 160 watt VHO's and 2, 400 watt 10K Metal Halides. Replacing those every 6 months and R/O filters add up quick. I had an evaporation rate of 1.5 gallons a day, so I was constantly making clean water. I had a clown fish from 1994 until 2012 and I think he/she is what kept me going. Money, time and a kiddo all caught up with me, but in the end it was flatworms that wiped me out. I still have a couple of fish, but Im taking the tank down this summer. Just too many irons in the fire now.