Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Speaking of old things..

I have been to Yosemite once and it was a very humbling experience. It really shows you the true pillars of this big planet.

Or unusual things....

A snowstorm in Ovilla, Texas......

DSC_0416-1.jpg

Awesome house Boxx

Speaking of old things..

I have been to Yosemite once and it was a very humbling experience. It really shows you the true pillars of this big planet.

Or unusual things....

A snowstorm in Ovilla, Texas......

DSC_0416-1.jpg

Awesome house Boxx

Thanks, Needless to say, the heating bill went over the top after that 5 day storm.....

PS - Did you mean to suggest that this coral increases in size by 1 inch per decade?

That didn't make much sense did it? Let me try again. Different corals grow at different rates from what I have read about the ocean and this was the case for everything I had in my tank. The branching or little tree looking captive tank corals could grow fast and some slow. And wouldn't you know it, the exotic colored corals grow very slow and the basic Yellow Acropora grows very fast and is like a weed in your tank. You basically can't give cuttings of those away. Im veering off here. Anyhow, I don't know the rates of anything that grows in the ocean, but they say the reef itself grows on average 1 inch per year. However corals can grow many inches or much less per year. I just searched and found where moon corals can grow .2-.3 centimes per year. From other pics I have seen in coral books, that Brain Coral should be well over 300 years old.

But to put things really into perspective... This Moon or Brain Coral is 18 feet wide and Scientists have said it is in excess of 2000 years old and is known as one of the worlds oldest living "anything". Its in Tobago.

trinidad_and_tobago_abound_with_coral_re

Very well... An inch of diameter per year, at 48 inches of diameter, didn't equal 400 years of growth...

PS - Did you mean to suggest that this coral increases in size by 1 inch per decade?

That didn't make much sense did it? Let me try again. Different corals grow at different rates from what I have read about the ocean and this was the case for everything I had in my tank. The branching or little tree looking captive tank corals could grow fast and some slow. And wouldn't you know it, the exotic colored corals grow very slow and the basic Yellow Acropora grows very fast and is like a weed in your tank. You basically can't give cuttings of those away. Im veering off here. Anyhow, I don't know the rates of anything that grows in the ocean, but they say the reef itself grows on average 1 inch per year. However corals can grow many inches or much less per year. I just searched and found where moon corals can grow .2-.3 centimes per year. From other pics I have seen in coral books, that Brain Coral should be well over 300 years old.

But to put things really into perspective... This Moon or Brain Coral is 18 feet wide and Scientists have said it is in excess of 2000 years old and is known as one of the worlds oldest living "anything". Its in Tobago.

trinidad_and_tobago_abound_with_coral_re

Very well... An inch of diameter per year, at 48 inches of diameter, didn't equal 400 years of growth...

You're correct, my statement didn't make sense. Lets just say it may have been around before George Washington was born and was certainly there when there were plenty of pirates in the Caribbean.

• Moderators
Thanks, Needless to say, the heating bill went over the top after that 5 day storm.....

Cool looking house Boxx, every time I see that pic I look for a minuite, it's just a very nice design, looks great, BUT you are "the most interesting man I the world" so I wouldn't expect anything less. :emotion-55::emotion-21:

• Moderators
My cactus, Henry, got his first bloom this year!

I hate cactus, some are amazing but when I was young I had a few and had a little accident with one and never liked them since.

It wasn't the plants fault it was the dumb owner, I was moving it and dropped it, not thinking I quickly caught it, not a good idea..

The bigger thorns weren't a problem, it was the ones you couldn't see but you could feel were a big problem.

• Moderators

I have around 4K pics from areas in the Caribbeen I have taken over the years including some snorkeling pics.

I have many also, just not a lot from underwater. We just got that little waterproof camera about a year ago just for snorkeling pics. It works pretty well so far, it's a little Olympus tough camera, it good to 33' which is more than I am good for with a snorkel.

Those pics and this one from Roatan was about the most unbroken coral I had seen in one area. We caught a little boat to get down the beach and probably offshore a half to one mile which helps, it's to far for people to swim.

There opening so big there fuzzy, I only set to size 3 of 10, thought that would be small enough.

post-9700-0-38740000-1397240783_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-70500000-1397240799_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

I have around 4K pics from areas in the Caribbeen I have taken over the years including some snorkeling pics.

I have many also, just not a lot from underwater. We just got that little waterproof camera about a year ago just for snorkeling pics. It works pretty well so far, it's a little Olympus tough camera, it good to 33' which is more than I am good for with a snorkel.

Those pics and this one from Roatan was about the most unbroken coral I had seen in one area. We caught a little boat to get down the beach and probably offshore a half to one mile which helps, it's to far for people to swim.

There opening so big there fuzzy, I only set to size 3 of 10, thought that would be small enough.

Great Pics dtel. that's a Beautiful Seafan. The little underwater cameras are really cool. Keep the pictures coming and I will find a few good underwater shots. ready too.

• Moderators

If you ever go to West Bay go try Banarama, I know it sounds stupid but it's a great open style bar on the edge of the palm trees right on the beach. Anywhere you sit your right on the beach and it's a nice crowd, good place to go and get pre lubricated before snorkeling, hey your on vacation, don't think bad things. :emotion-19:

Just get up walk 30' and catch a boat, when your done they drop you back off in the same place, it was $75 for 5 people and we were out 3-4 hours at least and could have stayed longer if we had wanted, both trips the boat operators could not have been better.

In the picture with the boat, if you look right over the front of the boat it's that brown roof under the palms. :emotion-21:

Saturday was a pretty day here in N. Texas. I had just finished mowing a few acres and took a lunch break to survey my domain and soak in some family. This kid is ALWAYS happy - and I wouldn't change that for the world.

What a pretty little thing! You need to hang that one on the wall Dad.... 24"X30" will be prefect :)

• Moderators
Here she is, hamming it up at a friend's wedding a few weeks ago where she was the flower girl.

Pretty little girl, you better enjoy it and take many pictures while you can, before you know it she will be replacing the other girl in the pic and be married and on her own, it happens really fast !

• Like 1