Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

So I was looking at some older pictures since I had not put anything here in a while.

This is some hanging candle holders my daughter gave us, I reverse etched some designs on them to frost the glass to kind of dim the candlelight for out in the bar.  F/6.3   1/10sec.  55mm  ISO 200

yard-45-4.JPG

yard-47-4.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 6:01 PM, Full Range said:

More rain overnight and more fungi growing This time I took the photo just before midnight under flash 

image.jpeg

On 3/22/2017 at 1:21 AM, JL Sargent said:

Can you eat those?

Depends on whether you want to go on a trip or not.:)

• Like 2

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, babadono said:

Depends on whether you want to go on a trip or not.:)

Could be a permanent trip.

Last weekend Kevin and I were walking out by Rodney's and was stepping around cow patties, I asked him, like mushrooms ? They were in almost every patty, kind of just light brown color about 1" across ? The only mushrooms I am sure about are the ones wrapped in plastic at the store. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

look at you talking camera

Oh heck, he just read that off the back of the print.

I just made up some numbers.

But JL made me think, I was going through some pic's on the hard drive just looking, I put over 30,000 on it, and I doubt we have printed 25 pictures. :o But they are also on disc just in case.

BSM, I love this stuff, Christy gave me my first good camera before we got married, a Canon AE-1 in 1977. Guess I wasn't a cheap date after all. :huh:

• Like 2

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

No, you weren't. My first was a Nikon EM. My second was an AE-1. Then all of a sudden, film disappeared overnight.

It did seem like film disappeared overnight. I liked taking alot of pictures and it was getting expensive so I switched to using slides which were cheaper. I took a break from taking pictures right before digital came along.

I didn't like the lag time on digital shutters at all, a little while later Michael Colter came down here for the wedding. He handed me his camera and told me to go take pictures and I was hooked again. No lag time and pictures that were close enough to film for me, considering cost of taking and storing many pictures.

I used that Canon for years, it died and was repaired, then given to my dad and he used it. I went to Nikon (not sure why?) but since I gave my dad all the lenses for the Cannon it was easier to try a different brand. Another film Nikon, lasted a few years and died, then a Nikon digital.

• Like 1

You haven't seen film disappear until you hand your camera to a professional photographer. My brother-in-law is now a retired Detroit News photographer.  In the old film days, he would grab my camera at family gatherings and instantly blow through a roll of film.  I would kid him that the secret to getting good photos is to take a million, so that one of them would be good, the photographic equivalent to the infinite number of chimps typing Shakespeare.

• Like 1

Digital has made us less careful (maybe worse) photographers due the "I'll take a thousand shots, and should get some good ones" strategy.  When I shot weddings (back in the film days) I would make usually 150 medium format exposures to get 90 images for the finished album.  Every shot had to be accurately exposed and composed.  It was an economic reality since it cost about $1 in film and processing every time I clicked the shutter.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

^^^^ Your exactly right, but one of the things I do really like about digital is when playing with low light you can instantly check exposure, to better get what you were hoping for.

But in just normal pictures you tend to take more than you would have ever taken because it's free. Unless I'm in a rush to catch something quick I always use manual for exposure, and for just general pictures the auto focus is handy especially since you can still focus on certain areas.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dtel said:

^^^^ Your exactly right, but one of the things I do really like about digital is when playing with low light you can instantly check exposure, to better get what you were hoping for.

But in just normal pictures you tend to take more than you would have ever taken because it's free. Unless I'm in a rush to catch something quick I always use manual for exposure, and for just general pictures the auto focus is handy especially since you can still focus on certain areas.

Of course, using a digital SLR I now do shoot many more exposures because it is "free" and you have the opportunity to catch the exact perfect moment by clicking off a short burst, and you have the peace of mind knowing you captured the shot by reviewing the images.  But, the fundamentals of good lighting, exposure and composition still apply.  

In some ways shooting with film was more fun because you didn't find yourself constantly reviewing the shots you just made, and you were more in tune with what was happening, rather than fretting over the images.

Plus, you had the excitement of seeing what was on the film when you got your photos from the lab or when you unwound the film from the developing reel and held that wet strip of emulsion-coated plastic up to the light to see if you might have some good exposures.

2 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

The biggest difference for me is SPEED. A full frame digital camera is so much faster than those 35mm film offerings I used to use. I have a Kowa 6 med format around here. Not sure I can even load that thing anymore.

Speed as in ISO, frames per second, or just generally grabbing the camera and shooting (or probably all of these)?

I would push Tri-X to ASA 3200 for sports photography in low light situations.  Tri-X was normally ASA 400, but I would push to 3200 without much graininess and without excessive contrast by using HC-110 developer (1:7 dilution) at 68F for 30 minutes.  Seems like a joke now with the the low light digital cameras hitting ISO 25,000 with great image quality.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seadog said:

Speed as in ISO,

Exactly. In the 8K to 12K range I'm taking photos in conditions I used to only dream about. This shot was taken at night under really soft 30 year old lighting technology. It took a little bit to get the right lens on the camera but I was happy with the shots.

Autumn2best.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Seadog said:

I would push Tri-X to ASA 3200 for sports photography in low light situations.

I only did that a few times, I did not develop film and only found one place that would do it, it was usually concert pictures. I had zoom lenses but not the really expensive ones needed for that kind of picture so I cheated with the film speed. Most places do not even allow pictures at shows anymore, all the flashes going ruined I guess. It's funny when you see people using a flash trying to get a picture from across a stadium and can't figure out why the picture comes out black.

9 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Exactly. In the 8K to 12K range I'm taking photos in conditions I used to only dream about. This shot was taken at night under really soft 30 year old lighting technology. It took a little bit to get the right lens on the camera but I was happy with the shots.

Like you said the right lens, fast glass is really expensive, with nikon for example. 50mm 1.8 $125  same 50mm but 1.2 $650, and this is the lowest price of any of their fastest lenses because it's just plain 50mm.

I really need to get a new camera body, it's getting a old. With really high ISO it starts to get to much grain, the newer bodies are much better for this. I don't use it very much because of that, only if the choice is, it's no pic or a little grain. 

• Like 1