Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

13 hours ago, sputnik said:

There, I just liked you.  BTW, you're doing OK here - you have a 104% like vs post ratio and I"m at a pathetic 9%.  Maybe I'll start a thread just asking members to like me.

Now trending to 9.71912%.  Remember the time years ago when you helped guide Michael, @colterphoto1, to his destination in Ohio to collect four abused La Scalas.  Were you the one who called the seller to inquire about Colter's arrival and she asked, "You mean the curly-headed one?"'  I've liked you from afar ever since.

But seriously, are you still using film, or have you gone digital?  Is it possible to use old lenses from film bodies with new digital bodies?  If so, does it work well?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sputnik said:

I know this is sooo last month but here are some of my eclipse photos.

37575891562_b7b9995d63_b.jpg

I like this early shot where lunar terrain can be seen silhouetted against the sun.

36753699985_154f1258a9_k.jpg

Mercury can be seen in the lower left of the frame at totality.

37575334722_f4fd5a4005_b.jpg

Edge shot near the end of totality.

36897867614_6d43d33072_h.jpg

Diamond Ring effect at the end of totality.

Sputnik,  Thank you for posting your spectacular photos.  Two like in as many minutes; now at 9.80829%.  Your photos deserve multiple likes, so I'll like a few of your old posts to push you into double digits.

I see that tiny speck that is Mercury.  Is that reflected light from the Sun, or does Mercury, or any other planet, produce light of its own?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

I am interested to hear what old lenses have  you tried with D850 that did not measure good. Because I have a few of old ones too, and have been thinking to switch from analog to digital. Was thinking about D750 or Df, or may be even a 610.

I am curious how my 200mm f4 micro would behave, or 28mm f2,8 AiS and 50mm f1,4 AiS...and so on.

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Now trending to 9.71912%.  Remember the time years ago when you helped guide Michael, @colterphoto1, to his destination in Ohio to collect four abused La Scalas.  Were you the one who called the seller to inquire about Colter's arrival and she asked, "You mean the curly-headed one?"'  I've liked you from afar ever since.

But seriously, are you still using film, or have you gone digital?  Is it possible to use old lenses from film bodies with new digital bodies?  If so, does it work well?

Thanks for the "pity likes" - I'll take 'em.  After about 12 years as a member, I have an abysmal post count anyway and, by far, most of those were from before the like button was installed.  I am afraid that my pitiful like-vs-post ratio makes me look like some kind of social pariah.

Here's a good link for information regarding older Nikon lens performance with higher resolution digital cameras.  There's also a good link there discussing the merits of a D850 FX vs a good DX (D500) camera as well.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/the-d850-blog/the-best-lenses-for-the.html

In addition to the listed lenses there, I know my 70-180mm micro works very nicely with my new camera as does my105mm dc and my ol' 85mm f/1.4 ais (with some fringing).  That 200mm f/4 micro is a very good lens and should be fine and I'd guess that the 50mm f/1.4 manual would be OK too.  My old 35mm f/1.4 manual doesn't do too well though.  I haven't tested some of my AF D lenses yet but I hardly use them anymore anyway.

Diz, thanks for reminding me of our efforts to bring Michael in for a safe landing in Ohio during one of his Klipsch Quest adventures.  Gave me a good chuckle.  For the other question re Mercury, that would be reflected sun light.  There are some cool photos from the Messenger probe showing the surface of Mercury looking much like the moon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mercury+planet+messenger+photos&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi81-Sow-bWAhVLqVQKHfcAB80QsAQIJQ&biw=1920&bih=971

• Like 1

According to National Geographic at: https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/planet/

"Unlike stars, planets do not experience nuclear fusion, the process of combining tiny particles called atoms to release energy. Nuclear fusion creates radiation (heat and light) and makes stars glow. Because planets do not have nuclear fusion, they do not produce their own light. Instead, they shine with light reflected from a star. When we see planets in the night sky, such as Venus, the so-called "Evening Star," we're seeing reflected sunlight."

That doesn't address volcanic activity, which I believe is taking or has taken) place on other planets or their moons.  If that is correct, couldn't that produce light without nuclear fusion?

The position of Venus was west (right) of the sun during the eclipse.  

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/august-21-2017-solar-eclipse-4-planets-bright-stars 

added:  I might have to correct myself.  After reading Willy's post, I checked on the planet positions a bit more closely and the speck seen in the lower left hand side of one of the shots I posted might actually be the star Regulus.  I might have someone at our local planetarium look at the photo.

Clearly, Earth produces light that can be seen from near space.  That light is both natural, such as volcanic activity, and man made.  Nonetheless, I suspect if one could observe Earth from Mars, the reflected light from the Sun would be the predominant source of light making Earth visible to Martians.

I suppose the relatively weak light from Earth could be seen from Mars only during a total solar eclipse of the sun, if such a thing were possible on Mars.

IMG_0254.JPG

• Like 1