Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

Well after many years I decided to get a little more updated camera body. My old Nikon D80 is still working 100% but is really far behind anything in the last 5 years so it's time. I did not want to go crazy with this change so I am getting another model from the past but it will still be a good improvement, a D 7100 which is a little more modern. I checked out models further up the line and didn't really see much that would help what I like to do unless I went a good ways further. I almost always use manual anyway (when I have the time) but I do like the convenience of auto focus on most things. It should be here here in a couple of days, got a good deal on one in excellent + condition from a very reputable place at a good price with a 2 year warranty. That model is not for sale new anymore with a Nikon warranty and the latter models didn't add what I thought was a benefit for me,  and I like the spec's on this model .

The old body will be a spare, I did not want to go full frame and have to get all new lenses, well I did but have to many other projects to think about that right now.

I am hoping this change will get me excited about pictures again after 40 years, for a good while it's mostly has just been when we went somewhere or the rare occasion I would just get in the mood and walk around looking for something to get a pic of. I have always liked taking pics but have slowed down compared to the past and I do miss it.

Although it's not as much about the camera as it is about the ideas behind the pic. But I am excited just because of the change and this will help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I had to air up the queen size mattress :D .. It served nicely as a campfire bellows too.

That's funny, once we went with a friend who has a very fancy motor home, just sitting around outside one evening I told him and his wife, I hope you two don't consider this camping in any form, because it's not. They laughed, but it's no where close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

a D 7100 which is a little more modern.

Food for thought, you would really enjoy a full frame sensor camera over a cropped sensor I suspect! Find a Nikon FX frame camera instead of a DX. Makes it a lot easier to take awesome pictures. :)

Good info on the topic.

https://petapixel.com/2016/07/18/full-frame-camera-really-worth-d610-vs-d7100-real-world-test/

https://photographylife.com/nikon-d7100-vs-d600

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Food for thought, you would really enjoy a full frame sensor camera over a cropped sensor I suspect! Find a Nikon FX frame camera instead of a DX. Makes it a lot easier to take awesome pictures. :)

Good info on the topic.

https://petapixel.com/2016/07/18/full-frame-camera-really-worth-d610-vs-d7100-real-world-test/

https://photographylife.com/nikon-d7100-vs-d600

That's true and I would like it, the main problem is everything I have now would not work on a full frame camera except one 50mm 1.8. This is not counting the cost, and the more expensive lenses. This is the main problem most people have after collecting the Dx lenses they have, I would have to start over.

I read both links, I was very surprised how close they were on paper and sample pictures. Now I know that's not the whole story by far, but like many people it's a hard change to go through. There are great gains but a pretty steep price, if money was no object there would be no question and I would have 30K in glass alone and that could probably be carried in one large camera bag.

Someone interested in this hobby were just starting out the best thing they could do would be to start out with the least expensive full frame body they could afford with one of the cheaper lenses like the 50mm 1.8 and go from there.
I have gone thru the complete change thing twice and I don't want to do it again. I started with a Cannon AE-1 and collected lenses, later moved to Nikon and changed everything (still film). I quite for years with the switch to digital because I couldn't take the shutter lag time. Later I went back with Nikon digital which happen to be DX because I still wasen't really sold on the whole digital thing.

As inconvenient as it was I loved film, but it seems as I have become older I am willing to give up a little for convenience it seems. Like music, good streaming with unlimited music selection seems to be worth giving up a little quality to have more than a warehouse full of albums or cd's by touching a button.

But in the end I will not rule out full frame, stranger things have happened many times. One day I may just say I want to sell it all and just get 1-2 good lenses and be done ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dtel said:

One day I may just say I want to sell it all and just get 1-2 good lenses and be done ?

That's where I've ended up. Canon 6d with a 35mm and 85mm to cover 90% of what I shoot (people). My 35mm is a mark 1 L lens, f/1.4 (has that magical micro-contrast) and my 85 was the L f/1.2, which I ultimately ditched because it was too heavy/slow/expensive. Now I'm rolling with a manual focus Samyang 85 f/1.4. Lighter, still slow, but much less expensive to have sitting in my bag since I mostly use the 35mm. I may pick up something longer in the future as my girls get more into sports and activities.. or I'll just adapt the scenes to the lenses I already have. :)

3 hours ago, richieb said:

--- I'm afraid your definition of camping differs just a scosh from mine. I consider it camping if the hotel room doesn't included HBO or fiber connected cable/Internet --?! 

Sounds like my wife. No room service is roughing it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Sounds like my wife. No room service is roughing it.

--- you married well. Although room service is more than I can muster. Unless you mean propping open the room door and hi-tailing down the hall to the vending machine then back to the room. I tell my wife that Is room service -  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Never seen a Lilly like that before.

Saw some while boating down the Wakulla Springs River.

Come to find out, we had some here at home. Nan is careful 

about where I mow. Anyway, they have always been a predictor

for a Hurricane in the area. They tend to spring up really quickly.

• Like 2