Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

15 hours ago, dtel said:

How do you like the vibration control ?

It certainly helps in slow shutter speed situations. I have it on the 100 to 400mm and its a must for free handing beyond 200mm IMHO except on sunny days. I took this one today at 400mm freehand. 

Auston5.jpg

• Like 2

Photography is like becoming an audiophile...  Break out the check book.  I've shot professionally for about 28 years stringing mostly sports and spot news for papers and mags. Integrate 12 years in the military, after an MOS change, and now walk w/my right shoulder about an inch lower than my left from the bag full of glass,.  Ha.  Shoot all Nikon w/many of the larger lenses so yea...  You guys w/the McIntosh stuff wanna swap?  I'm walkin funny and it's sittin here collecting dust!  lolol  I guess the bottom line w/photography today is the fact most cells can get great results in a pinch.  Attach a few of the lil lenses that are made for them now and you'll be pleasantly suprised I think.  :)

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Photography is like becoming an audiophile...  Break out the check book.  I've shot professionally for about 28 years stringing mostly sports and spot news for papers and mags. Integrate 12 years in the military, after an MOS change, and now walk w/my right shoulder about an inch lower than my left from the bag full of glass,.  Ha.  Shoot all Nikon w/many of the larger lenses so yea...  You guys w/the McIntosh stuff wanna swap?  I'm walkin funny and it's sittin here collecting dust!  lolol  I guess the bottom line w/photography today is the fact most cells can get great results in a pinch.  Attach a few of the lil lenses that are made for them now and you'll be pleasantly suprised I think.  :)

I can't speak for anyone else but to me it's the fun part to try and create something better as a record of what happened and where you were. Plus I just like doing it as something to do, all the family pictures are worth it all by itself.

Now the big difference is I did NOT do it for a living, as a job, that could take some of the fun out of it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

This one about 200mm same lens.

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Nice shot!

That was my favorite, love the dirt flying and his face as he slides.

Looking at the first one, my first thought was, he son is growing up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Totally agree with you.

In my few hobbies I never get enough money to fulfill several desires, including photography. For me it would be very nice to have capable digital body, presumably with do-it-all zoom nice glass. But these things cost still too much, plus there are other issues like dependability etc.

That is why I settled with old Nikon 35mm and some mid-format film cameras. Cheap to buy and I do not shoot to much to keep film development and scanning cost at acceptable levels.

It is a lot of fun and not too costly. Most of the time i have around 1,5 - 2 kilos on my shoulder, which is acceptable. I see how Nikon F2 and several prime lenses of that era can be a burden, put in the bag spare body and a couple of other things and you are done for that day :). But I do not have a need for that sort of things.

For example, recently I have been for a few days walking around the Lisbon with just Nikon F80+battery pack and a 28-85mm zoom and Nikon sb30 small flash. Camera was in the holster and a flash on my belt. Easy to walk around and never tiresome.

This one is from the deck of a sightseeing bus. No need for VR.

00620011.jpg

For occasional snap smartphone camera is enough.

• Like 3

Actually I didn't do it for a living either.  I hung with a buddy who shot for the local paper full-time.  He'd gone to Brooks Institute and got a degree there.  He pretty much taught me darkroom, grid-lines and instilled the drive and we competed every time we went to shoot sports.  We were the best one-two punch in the media around here for years.  I had a stressful job and it was actually my form of stress-relief...  More stress but it worked wonderfully well.  Didn't pay much but the credentials made up the difference in the pay plus it was fun!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

That's the thing though, you never know who's watching and who's talking your son up.  The great thing about it though he's a great student and having fun...  Now is when you point him in a direction.  My oldest graduates from college next month and decided she was flying out to LA this morning until next Wed.  Gonna stay w/some friends and sleep on their couch...  Hahaha!  Dog sitting for a few days!  Just keep him away from your gear!  lol  Both my daughters knew they'd die if they touched stack rack/turntable.  Every once in a while they'd get to hear some Michael Jackson...  lol

I know I discovered postimg from one of y'all at this thread when I maxed out what I could post through the site.

Have you been able to work around the .org to .cc change?  Or maybe if I logged in to that site and uploaded them when posting that way it would work.

I took care of my dad, until he passed ...

I asked for his jazz bass. He had already gotten rid of a "new" one he used when he played in the orchestra.  Was telling him that when we were kids, we used to pluck it in its "bag"... 

He asked why we didn't just ask???? 

" Just keep him away from your gear!  lol  Both my daughters knew they'd die if they touched stack rack/turntable."

that was his baby. touch it .... are you kidding???

• Haha 1