Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

On 4/12/2018 at 7:36 AM, JohnJ said:

I know I discovered postimg from one of y'all at this thread when I maxed out what I could post through the site.

Have you been able to work around the .org to .cc change?  Or maybe if I logged in to that site and uploaded them when posting that way it would work.

Thanks johnJ. Here’s the same young fan a split second earlier.

56DE330B-74E1-46D0-AE68-86B6F21A2173.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dtel said:

It's just having a good eye for composition and in many cases this cannot be completely taught.

This is where the "concentration" part comes in that I mentioned in my previous post.  This can be learned but it does take effort and practice.  A great way to learn is to look at the great photos of others. An even better way to learn is to go out shooting with great photographers and compare the photos they took to yours.  You'll likely find they took photos that you never "saw."  This is what happened to me with the photographer I mentioned.  He would come back with photos where I would ask myself if we were in the same place.  It was amazing to find that he came back with great photos of subjects that were "invisible" to me -- I didn't see the same things that he did.  Why? -- because I hadn't learned how to look.  Over time, I have learned to look better and how to "concentrate."  My photography has improved because I have learned to "see" better by looking at the work of other photographers.

For those that want to improve their photography skills, I would highly recommend you join a local photography club.  And most importantly, go out on photography outings with the club and see what photos the other club members came back with.  Doing this will improve your ability to "see" and your photography will improve.  Your photography skills should improve over time which is a great thing about photography -- age doesn't necessarily impede improvement as it does in other things.

As a follow-up to my previous post, one of the great things I've learned is that there are great photos to be made of just about any subject.  They are all around us and you don't have to go to Yosemite, Yellowstone, or the Grand Canyon to take great photos.  Most people just can't see them and pass right by.  That was a great skill that my photographer friend had.  I remember a photo he took of a common fire hydrant that was amazing.  It may have been that photo (or one like it) that led me to realize that the ability to see a photo was a skill he had that I didn't and when I realized there was much more to photography than "turning dials and pressing a shutter button."  That is when I knew I had to learn how to "concentrate" if I ever wanted to take great photos.

As an example of what I am talking about, here are some examples of great photos taken of everyday objects that are more difficult for the average person to "see."  These are not my photos, I've pulled them from https://www.photo.net/.

18465235-orig.jpg

18452296-photo.jpg

18454225-photo.jpg

18460138-orig.jpg

18450325-orig.jpg

18455340-orig.jpg

18462076-orig.jpg

18459828-orig.jpg

18417451-photo.jpg

18419919-photo.jpg

18423950-photo.jpg

18412954-orig.jpg

18405027-orig.jpg

• Like 4

JMON,

Wonderful photos. We like the same kinds of subjects. I agree with your comment that great photos are everywhere once you look. You don't have to go far. Some of my best photos were taken in a small town. Most of mine are paper prints (from film) so I can't share, but I am enjoying yours! The "Blue ship with porthole" was my fave in that group. It's like a besutiful artwork waiting for someone to find it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MerkinMuffley said:

JMON,

Wonderful photos. We like the same kinds of subjects. I agree with your comment that great photos are everywhere once you look. You don't have to go far. Some of my best photos were taken in a small town. Most of mine are paper prints (from film) so I can't share, but I am enjoying yours! The "Blue ship with porthole" was my fave in that group. It's like a besutiful artwork waiting for someone to find it.

Thanks, but just to clarify, the photos I posted above are not mine.  I found them on Photo.net -- https://www.photo.net/

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JMON said:

And most importantly, go out on photography outings with the club and see what photos the other club members came back with.  Doing this will improve your ability to "see" and your photography will improve. 

I do this with a photographer friend, comparing pictures. He will come here with his girlfriend for a week and before he leaves he gets a copy of my pics and I get a copy of his. This way we both have time to compare, besides the daily as they happen pics, it is quite a learning experience and has helped just to see how other see things. 

One other cool thing about being with a photographer is he has some cool lenses. He also uses Nikon so he will say go try this and hands me a lens, sometimes it's something I would never buy since they are expensive and very limited in what they can do like a 10mm. We were all on a trip together and just hanging out at a cabin in the mountains and he handed me a 10mm, this is one of my pics.

christmas_snow_2010_(505).JPG

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Is that up in the Smokies?

Yes Christmas 2010, we went up there for 10 days and we got very lucky, it was the first time it snowed there for Christmas in like 50 years, we were snowed in for 3 days. This was a cabin we found with a great view, about 10 minutes from dollywood so you know what area, not that we went, never been. We brought food to cook so being stuck for 3 days was no problem, the driveway was pretty steep and no way to drive on until it was plowed.

My wife's birthday is 12-25 and the kids also wanted to go so we rented a cabin for 10 days.It was supposed to snow but we didn't know when or how much, it came down.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dtel said:

I do this with a photographer friend, comparing pictures. He will come here with his girlfriend for a week and before he leaves he gets a copy of my pics and I get a copy of his. This way we both have time to compare, besides the daily as they happen pics, it is quite a learning experience and has helped just to see how other see things. 

One other cool thing about being with a photographer is he has some cool lenses. He also uses Nikon so he will say go try this and hands me a lens, sometimes it's something I would never buy since they are expensive and very limited in what they can do like a 10mm. We were all on a trip together and just hanging out at a cabin in the mountains and he handed me a 10mm, this is one of my pics.

christmas_snow_2010_(505).JPG

sorry

snow does that to me... just a reflex

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Most of us have been young and handsome  ... they are overrated.

I would like to try wealthy... that would be new.

Well I was young once , wealthy no, but I have been very lucky.

• Like 1