Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

I never notice before, when you click on a pic it opens a little better quality pic, I wonder why this happens. If it's saving both wouldn't it be better to just show the better one and not even have another stored ? Might be part of the size limit software I guess ?

• Moderators

And there is a video so it was more than one person, I seen it in the online news last night, the fox was lucky to not be part of the lunch also.

It reminds me of what someone told me last week, someone at Rodney's said they seen the eagle catch a fish out of the lake and said you should go get a picture of that. :o

I told him I could set up a blind out there for a month and not get that picture, they laughed. After all the hours of setting it would probably happen when I fell asleep.

That Blue Magpie. picture is amazing.

• Moderators

In the news    Just because I have never seen a camera like this.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/camera-melts-during-rocket-launch/

This camera melted during a rocket launch, but it’s not what it seems

This is what happened to a DSLR camera on Tuesday, May 22 as it was shooting SpaceX’s latest Falcon 9 rocket launch.

The camera belongs to NASA photographer Bill Ingalls, who was happy to share an image of his wrecked equipment on Facebook.

“Well, one remote cam outside the pad perimeter was found to be a bit toast(y),” Ingalls wrote in a post accompanying the picture.

But the story isn’t exactly as it seems.

If you’re thinking the heat from the rocket launch melted the camera, think again. If you look at the image below, which the camera snapped before it met its maker, you’ll notice it’s some considerable distance away from the launch pad.

Ingall’s shooter was actually loused up by a brush fire caused by the launch. As he noted in his post, he had other cameras nearer to the rocket and they escaped both the heat of the launch and the brush fire.

“I had many other cameras much closer to the pad than this and all are safe,” the photographer wrote. “This was result of a small brush fire, which is not unheard of from launches.” It was later put out by firefighters, but by that time Ingall’s camera had been utterly disfigured.

The device, in case you’re unable to identify the mangled mess, is a $3,500 Canon 5DS DSLR, together with a professional, and rather expensive, L-Series lens.

As we already know from Ingall’s posted images, the memory card retained the shots, with the camera doing its job until the heat proved too much. It was just unlucky to end up in the middle of a brush fire.

Of course, Ingalls isn’t the first photographer to have his kit wrecked during a shoot, and he certainly won’t be the last.

In September last year, a number of photographers ruined their camera equipment while trying to capture the much-anticipated solar eclipse. Heat from focusing on the natural phenomenon damaged mirrors and melted aperture mechanisms, resulting in hefty repair bills.

And then there was this fella who had parts of his camera setup torn apart by leaf-cutter ants during a visit to the Amazon rainforest.

Of course, pro shooters also run the risk of damaging themselves, as this collection of nasty-looking incidents caught on video shows.

melted-canon-5ds-720x720.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 10:16 AM, dtel said:

I never notice before, when you click on a pic it opens a little better quality pic, I wonder why this happens. If it's saving both wouldn't it be better to just show the better one and not even have another stored ? Might be part of the size limit software I guess ?

When you click on a pic, it gives you further ability to zoom in on it,  if interested. 

• Like 1

Crying shame to torch such a nice camera setup! Looks like a Canon 5D body with an Canon L series 24 to 105mm lens.

5Ds.

Small world moment...Bill Ingalls occasionally comes into my office here @ NASA HQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Crying shame to torch such a nice camera setup! Looks like a Canon 5D body with an Canon L series 24 to 105mm lens.

I hate to see something like that.

I have to tell you something that happened last week in Hope.

We were hanging some new artwork in the listening room and conference room with Matt and Jill from Klipsch in Indy. Matt had a camera he carries around on a tripod to take pictures for Klipsch, I think he title is creative director. I had a couple hangers to put on the back of pictures and they left for lunch and Matt left his camera standing in the corner of the room. So when I was done i went to check out the lens and was shocked. He has Cannon so I didn't recognize it, the lens said 55-200 (i think it was) but the shocking part was it was a 1.2 lens. :o 55-200 1.2 that's amazing, I didn't know something like that even existed. 

When they came back from lunch I told him i went to check it out and was shocked, he got a giant smile on his face and said I know right.  He had a 5D body I think and said he is looking into something as good that would also do video since they are getting into that.

55-200 1.2 is amazing 

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Shiva said:
3 hours ago, dtel said:

I had no idea.

I discovered that by accident myself. Lol, Nobody tells you anything.

I think no one told us because probably no one knew, probably just part of the software I guess ? :o

It looks like another software change not long ago, signing in is a little different. As long as it works I'm good and I don't care what they know about me, all that info is available anytime your online anywhere if you know how to get it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...