Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

On 6/11/2018 at 4:30 AM, parlophone1 said:

Tried macro mode on my old Nikkor.

Last batch of Fuji Superia Xtra 200 35mm film that was available locally. i think Fuji discontinued this film now.

s_00120007.jpg

Very nice.  Which Micro Nikkor did you use?

It was not micro-nikkor, although I have 200mm f4 AiS.

The shot was taken with do-it-all lens Nikkor 28-85mm f3,5-4,5 AFD, the one that Ken Rockwell review here (https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/2885af.htm).

The lens has macro ability at 28mm. The rest is up to the shooter because there is no auto focus at macro, it has to be manually focused to the object.

I already had the old version of that lens, which was serviced not so well and have some play in the front barrel. Takes mostly good photos but is too unpredictable.

Later on I have been lucky one kid was selling almost brand new one for cheap, so I took the chance.

Anyway, the lens is sharp almost as the primes, at all distances, has a decent coating and provide for fairly good contrast. I take it around when I'm not in a mood for primes.

Yes, ASA 400 is still in production.

As I understand Fuji is discontinuing films that are to close in their production lines. Eg. Superia Xtra 200 is to close to their cheapest C200 film, and double the price. So they just shut it off.

I tried both their ASA 200, Superia is clearly better film, 4th layer and all that tech stuff. It has better color balance and richer colors.

• Moderators

Forgot it's summertime again, grabbed the camera to get a pic of some deer in the backyard and went outside forgetting it's hot and humid now, the UV lense cover fogged up. 

When I remember, I bring out the whole bag closed up and let it warm up slowly, but then everything warms up when it doesn't have to. 

What's the best way to avoid causing moisture ? I'm not so much worried about the protective lens cover fogging but wouldn't want that for the inside of the camera or lens everytime i go outside.

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Forgot it's summertime again, grabbed the camera to get a pic of some deer in the backyard and went outside forgetting it's hot and humid now, the UV lense cover fogged up. 

When I remember, I bring out the whole bag closed up and let it warm up slowly, but then everything warms up when it doesn't have to. 

What's the best way to avoid causing moisture ? I'm not so much worried about the protective lens cover fogging but wouldn't want that for the inside of the camera or lens everytime i go outside.

Wellllll, not much you can really do going from AC to heat OR cold temps to warm in the winter.  I definitely wouldn't subject my bag full of glass to those temp. swings but at times you don't have much choice if your going on an assignment.  Common sense works w/the temp swings...  Something quick like your shot, get ready to shoot, go out and get the shot then back in.  Always nice to have a small micro-fiber lens cleaning rag w/you in it's own lil plastic case.  Dedicate that wiper to your camera bag though.  I NEVER use any UV filters over my lenses because of that.  Lens caps, of course, UV filters nope.  UV filters work for the average photog but I'm just not into optical aberrations in my photo's.  So now, when you think your bad@$$ and remove your UV filters remember this:  When you scratch that high $ lens???  The FIRST piece of glass you scratched is the LAST piece of glass to come out when you send it in to get it repaired and they start tearing it down on the bench...  The price goes up!!!   When I shoot Bigfoot I want it to be tack sharp NO optical aberrations! !  lol 😂

ANOTHER thing that drives me insane and I see it ALL the time!  Your camera strap was meant to go AROUND your neck, NOT your shoulder and IF you just have to do that keep your lens pointed INSIDE to your body NOT outside.  Hit it and you're screwed and IF you own a NIKON I guarantee I can bump you and have your lens in 5 seconds, push the button and twist and keep right on a walkin. I'll be walkin in that Disneyworld crowd and smilin unless you're using something big and heavy..  I'd give it a shot though if you looked like a tourist and I could walk fast!  It also will slide off your shoulder when you least expect it and maybe hit the ground.  Ha!

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Something quick like your shot, get ready to shoot, go out and get the shot then back in.

I have done that before, this time I thought I did but didn't have time to adjust in time. I think I have an old bag I could use to just take out the one camera when I am not in a rush for one picture, in a rush I need to check twice.

UV filters work for the average photog but I'm just not into optical aberrations in my photo's.

That's me, I do this for fun, the reason I use a filter is because of just what you said, I am careful but at times when carrying a camera all day without it being the main focus of the day (not work) I had accidentally more than once went to grab the camera or move it after a pic and touched the glass by accident. I then have no problem wiping off the glass knowing no matter what it's only a filter.  I am worried about causing a problem with any coating a lens may have and causing a problem that does require repair.

Once I accidently slipped grabbed a railing and caught my balance but the camera swung and the lens hit part of another railing, it broke the filter but the lens was fine, even the filter unscrewed without a problem, I got lucky. Now this has only happened once in 40 years but it did happen a year ago.

It also will slide off your shoulder when you least expect it and maybe hit the ground.  Ha!

Never hit the ground but it has slipped over the years, it just depends on where i'm at, I carry it both ways. Many times in crowds if it's not hot I carry it on my shoulder under a light jacket and adjust the strap so it hangs under the jacket and you can not tell I have a camera, like Mardi Gras or late night in the Quarter. Many times in not so safe places or other countries I feel like I can somewhat conceal it a little more carried on my shoulder with my hand on the camera instead of around my neck.

But it's probably all BS, if someone is looking at stealing a camera from someone they probably notice me as a target way before I notice them, unless it's hidden completely. 

Many of these things are just very old habits I got use to maby more than anything else. Since I do this for fun I don't think about it like a professional may, but good ideas are good ideas. 

• Like 2

Here is a shot of my new headphone amp from Nobsound. It is a hybrid design, though I don't know exactly how they configure the tubes in this.  Doesn't sound half bad either.    https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-NS-08E-Integrated-Amplifier-Headphone/dp/B014FASL1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529680111&sr=8-1&keywords=nobsound+ns-08e

IMG_0248.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators

Looks like Buddha approves, clicking on the link I was really surprised at the price.

Looking at the picture possibly a Zen amplifier would have been more appropriate ? 

Couldn't help it

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

Looks like Buddha approves, clicking on the link I was really surprised at the price.

Looking at the picture possibly a Zen amplifier would have been more appropriate ? 

Couldn't help it

Ha, Yeah,  He's diggin the glow, but then again, he always looks like that.😀  Never heard of Nobsound until I was reading about the T-amps being bought by some here, not too long ago.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

How is the sound from that amp?

What did you have before this hybrid?

As regard the lenses, a scratch or two on the front lens element shold do nothing to afect the quality of the photo. But a scratch on the rear lens element usualy does influence more.

I give this little amp a 👍 Before this, I just had my Sennheiser HD580's plugged directly into my laptop, which already sounded quite good. I can't say if it imparts any better quality of sound as of yet, , but it does give you a lot more volume when desired.  

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Shiva said:

Unfortunately, nothing to chase where I live.   

It is a great pic, and your right about nothing for you to chase, it's kind of hard to chase earthquakes. :unsure2: 

• Like 4