Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Here is a sunset shot I took a few years ago at Las Catalina in Costa Rica with my Canon DSLR and Rokinon 14mm lens:

image.thumb.png.9d5e0bd9562ea9ab16f79ca0272b6a02.png

All in all this is by far my favorite lens. It is all manual with regards to F stop and focus but its tack sharp and punched far above its weight in regards to price:

https://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE14M-C-Ultra-Canon-Black/dp/B003VSGQPG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530911452&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=rokinon+14mm+canon&psc=1

image.png.c3de43e0d05780bb5e3694be59fa3cd8.png

• Like 3

Busy front yard today. It's funny how animals get used to you. I can crank up the MCM 1900's and the Turkeys stand in the driveway outside the shop door at times and pay absolutely no attention to the noise. At the other end there are times I am hammering and banging and working away with the roll up door open and same thing but then add to it deer that peek in from the edge of the woods and field. Pretty funny at times. I had a guy who used to hunt Turkey on the ridge top. One day he had come here all camouflage face painted with camo clothing and off he snuck into the woods. When he came back I showed him the picture of the Toms looking at his little toy pick up truck. Five of them there taller than his truck tires. Had a friend here the other day with a chrome plated truck bumper and there was a Tom flirting with its reflection on it.

front yard.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/7/2018 at 7:59 PM, JL Sargent said:

That is real tempting. I don't have a 14mm lens at all.

Its a solid piece of equipment. The only thing you have to be careful about is the front lens element is very exposed and curves outward so you have to be mindful to not scrape it on anything. The only other downside is the distortion pattern is strange and Lightroom has no presets to correct it. For most photography and landscapes you never notice aside from a slight curve of the horizon but urban shots of buildings etc with straight lines can get interesting.  Aside from that, the color rendition is very good and the lens is spectacularly sharp. I have a 20''x30'' poster of a landscape shot I took in Banff National Park in Alberta and the lens was so sharp it picked up swimmers across the lake with a 14mm lens! It will fit a crop and full sensor as well.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 11:14 PM, twk123 said:

Here is a sunset shot I took a few years ago at Las Catalina in Costa Rica with my Canon DSLR and Rokinon 14mm lens:

image.thumb.png.9d5e0bd9562ea9ab16f79ca0272b6a02.png

All in all this is by far my favorite lens. It is all manual with regards to F stop and focus but its tack sharp and punched far above its weight in regards to price:

https://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE14M-C-Ultra-Canon-Black/dp/B003VSGQPG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530911452&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=rokinon+14mm+canon&psc=1

image.png.c3de43e0d05780bb5e3694be59fa3cd8.png

Great photo

5 hours ago, Schu said:

WSOP...

I was at a random pizza shop in the middle of Kansas a few weeks ago and they had this on. There was a hand a guy went all in and his odds went down to less than 1% for the flop and the turn. The river hit giving him a 3 of a kind and he won the hand and went ballistic. Its interesting how subtle the game is, it looked like nothing really happened at all on the TV but the drama was top notch. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shiva said:

I always watch it when it is aired.  Have you bought a seat?  

I played several events this year once again. Most of time was spent playing cash games though. It's like  feeding frenzy over here.

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 7/8/2018 at 7:50 AM, Dave A said:

Busy front yard today.

The first couple of time I looked at that pic I did not see the deer across the street, or it looks like a deer.

• Moderators
On 7/9/2018 at 12:08 AM, twk123 said:

The only thing you have to be careful about is the front lens element is very exposed and curves outward so you have to be mindful to not scrape it on anything.

I did see that, and when looking at the link they were saying the protective lens was I think 77mm. So I guess there is an adapter similar to the hood that would have to used since it looks as if the glass really sticks out on that lens ?

That is a good price

2 hours ago, dtel said:

The first couple of time I looked at that pic I did not see the deer across the street, or it looks like a deer.

It is. I had to wait until they were all lined up for the shot and by then the deer was on the move so blurry.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 6:50 AM, Dave A said:

Busy front yard today. It's funny how animals get used to you. I can crank up the MCM 1900's and the Turkeys stand in the driveway outside the shop door at times and pay absolutely no attention to the noise. At the other end there are times I am hammering and banging and working away with the roll up door open and same thing but then add to it deer that peek in from the edge of the woods and field. Pretty funny at times. I had a guy who used to hunt Turkey on the ridge top. One day he had come here all camouflage face painted with camo clothing and off he snuck into the woods. When he came back I showed him the picture of the Toms looking at his little toy pick up truck. Five of them there taller than his truck tires. Had a friend here the other day with a chrome plated truck bumper and there was a Tom flirting with its reflection on it.

front yard.jpg

Its funny,  the more you look at this photo more superb it is from a composition standpoint. The foreground hummingbirds' beak draws you perfectly up the turkey leg to the other hummingbird. Then the other hummingbird's beak draws you to the feeder which in turn draws your eye up to the hook which is a leading line to the deer running away. The deer looking to the left then draws your eye to the negative space by the garden then drifts back down to the other turkey which balances the first turkey as they are both looking opposite directions. You really have some artistic wildlife...

• Thanks 1

A few years ago we had two hail storms two weeks apart. The first one had hail 1.75" and was the biggest we had ever seen but the second one had hail 2.75". Funny thing about this was after a day or so I realized it was quiet. Between the two storms  almost all the birds were killed off and it took a while before they returned. Just south of us it was 4" and was punching holes through roofs.

hail one.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, twk123 said:

Its funny,  the more you look at this photo more superb it is from a composition standpoint. The foreground hummingbirds' beak draws you perfectly up the turkey leg to the other hummingbird. Then the other hummingbird's beak draws you to the feeder which in turn draws your eye up to the hook which is a leading line to the deer running away. The deer looking to the left then draws your eye to the negative space by the garden then drifts back down to the other turkey which balances the first turkey as they are both looking opposite directions. You really have some artistic wildlife...

Got it ALL workin in that shot...    :)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

A few years ago we had two hail storms two weeks apart. The first one had hail 1.75" and was the biggest we had ever seen but the second one had hail 2.75". Funny thing about this was after a day or so I realized it was quiet. Between the two storms  almost all the birds were killed off and it took a while before they returned. Just south of us it was 4" and was punching holes through roofs.

That's bad hail.

End of March 2010 the night Duke won, we had cue ball sized hail that hit about a five mile radius from us for ten minutes. The roar overhead.... it must've been like the cyclone that took St Louis off the map a long time ago. Our Allstate guy said they had declared it a minor disaster when he was here two days later for new roof and gutters.

Glad it didn't touch down here or with you either!

I was on a business trip in 1982 that took me through various areas of Europe and the Middle East when I took this picture of The Great Pyramid and Sphinx outside of Cairo. After seeing The Ten Commandments as a kid, I expected The Sphinx to be much larger!!!!!!!! The highlight of the Cairo segment of the trip was being allowed to travel up the passageway in the Great Pyramid all the way up to the burial chamber. That was a long walk up and the passageway was very narrow, I was bent over all the way up!

Sorry for the quality of the picture, it is a conversion from a slide that was taken with my old Minolta SRT-101. I should have cleaned the slides before I scanned them, but I was lazy!

PB Picture removed.

• Like 4