Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

I am also a facetor and lapidary and a rock hound. Close to me is a type of agate called Iris Agate which I have dug , sliced and polished. It has numerous lines of banding in the quartz and when they are fine enough, 8000+ per inch, it can act like a diffraction grating and when you shine light through it at the right angle this is what you get. As you move the slice up and down it shows different colors as the wavelength changes. The last piece is what it is like when not backlit.

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Dave A said:

I am also a facetor and lapidary and a rock hound. Close to me is a type of agate called Iris Agate which I have dug , sliced and polished.

Very cool.

Since you are a rock hound I have a question, we have collected rocks for the garden for years. Some were out of ships, they use them for ballast and they use to unload them along the river downriver from New Orleans, usually kind of white and pink marble  in some cases. But these are not what I wanted to ask about, when collecting rocks in North Louisiana close to the Arkansas border we ran across something I had never seen before. It was a line of rocks hundreds of feet long  and averaging 5'-10' wide which looked like it bubbled up out of the ground. 

We collected a few and brought them home, I would think they are partly iron or iron ore. It's just the way the bubbled up which was something I had never seen before. They have been in the garden for over 10 years now and the tops are rusting or at least falling apart ?

There are two pieces left, this one is the biggest, about 3' long and 2' wide.                 It's just strange the way it is bubbled looking.

Ipad pic sorry

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Dtel you forgot to attach any pics. Iron ore happens in many places and the town of Lawrenceburg close to me actually had a pig iron plant from local iron ore in the early 1900's. Enough to supply a local operation and when demand was smaller and labor cheaper and transportation not so good there were numerous small ironworks around. Sometimes there are deposits with small rounded quartz pebbles in there and this stuff is tough enough to cut into slabs and they call it pudding stone. Filty beyond belief and when you cut or grind it this nice lovely redish sludge goes everywhere.

• Moderators
On 7/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, Buck115 said:

I expected The Sphinx to be much larger!!!!!!!!

You would think but it looks like the picture is a little deceiving with the pyramid being so big. Looking at the fence in front of the stones it looks like your high enough to be halfway up which is a pretty good ways. i bet if you were on the ground in front of it looking up it would look much bigger ? But it wouldn't be framed with the pyramid in the back like you have it which is nice. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Dtel you forgot to attach any pics. Iron ore happens in many places and the town of Lawrenceburg close to me actually had a pig iron plant from local iron ore in the early 1900's. Enough to supply a local operation and when demand was smaller and labor cheaper and transportation not so good there were numerous small ironworks around. Sometimes there are deposits with small rounded quartz pebbles in there and this stuff is tough enough to cut into slabs and they call it pudding stone. Filty beyond belief and when you cut or grind it this nice lovely redish sludge goes everywhere.

I cheated I posted on the computer and edited to add the pic from the Ipad to get an easy pic, should be a pic now.

Yup iron ore. That would be Limonite, Do you remember where you got this as I might be interested in making a drive there.as sometimes this cuts pretty stuff. How in the world did you get that in your vehicle or trailer since that is pretty heavy stuff?

• Moderators

It was in Homer Louisiana, about a mile from what is supposed to be the highest peak in Louisiana, at least that's what an old man said. I will try to look at a satellite picture and figure out where it was. Or the road it was off of.

There was also some of the same colored rock but much more solid and heaver. I will add a couple more pictures, that bubble rock (I think) is not anywhere as dense as the solid pieces. I have some small pieces and a couple at least as big as the bubble rock, very heavy.   I will go get pics and edit this post in a few minutes. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

You would think but it looks like the picture is a little deceiving with the pyramid being so big. Looking at the fence in front of the stones it looks like your high enough to be halfway up which is a pretty good ways. i bet if you were on the ground in front of it looking up it would look much bigger ? But it wouldn't be framed with the pyramid in the back like you have it which is nice. 

Actually, I did walk down to it and along the fence. And, you're right, it certainly is big, but those long ago memories that I formulated from the movie just made it seem so much larger in my mind's eye!

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Dave A said:

How in the world did you get that in your vehicle or trailer since that is pretty heavy stuff?

My wife's step father lived about a mile from the rocks and we took a 20' trailer to pick up some I beams from him. We backed up the trailer to the larger rocks and rolled them up the dovetail on the trailer, it took everything my friend and I had to get them in. The more I think about it it may have been 20 years ago, I was definitely younger. I say this because I moved the big ones where they are now in front of the bar with a tractor 3-4 years ago  and it took everything I had just to spin them where I wanted them. I had to be younger, the one big one in the center is very heavy.

We did landscaping for many years and I built many ponds and waterfalls which means handling alot of rocks but mostly flagstone from Tennessee and these rocks are heavier than any flagstone I handled. We used equipment to move large boulders when needed, the crazy part is down here we buy rocks by the pound because they all have to be shipped in. The only rock natural down here it different size gravel and the largest is like what is used in cement or roads, there are 2 gravel/sand pits a few miles from here. 

We dug a few 1-3 acre mud bottom ponds within a mile of our house and a 1.5 acre pond in our yard. In this area about 8'-12' deep you hit sand for a few feet then gravel, I don't know what happens after that because for a pond if you hit either you need to pack clay back in or it will never hold water so we never go deeper. Looking at the gravel pits I think the sand gravel mix goes a long way from the way it looks. I was always interested in rocks but know 0 about them, but we collect them anyway.

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Dave A said:

I was not aware there were any mountains there ;D

16 hours ago, Marvel said:

It made me laugh out loud! 😂

It is kind of funny, I looked with a satellite pictures and the rocks were right outside of Athens LA. I was surprised to see  the area is called Driskill Mountain, yes it take alot of nerve to call it a mountain, it's closer to a hump. But it is Louisiana so it's as close to a mountain as they will get, they do say there are 2 building taller in New Orleans which is funny.

https://www.louisianatravel.com/blog/hiking-driskill-mountain-louisianas-highest-elevation

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Dave A said:

I was not aware there were any mountains there ;D

Yea man you have to look from the perfect angle and close one eye. OK you really can't see it but in louisiana even a raised bridge is some altitude.

Yea I learned how to take a screenshot, first one ever  :emotion-19: 

Screenshot (1).jpg

2 hours ago, dtel said:

OK you really can't see it but in louisiana even a raised bridge is some altitude.

One of the tallest things I ever saw in Louisiana was when the Mississippi river was so high the levee behind the Exxon refinery in Baton Rouge had to be sand bagged. They still allowed ocean freighters to go up river at very slow speeds to reduce bow waves for fear of harming levees. So under the I-10 bridge you could look up and see freighters going by waaaay above you. Those bridges are built extra high for a reason down there.

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Dave A said:

One of the tallest things I ever saw in Louisiana was when the Mississippi river was so high the levee behind the Exxon refinery in Baton Rouge had to be sand bagged. They still allowed ocean freighters to go up river at very slow speeds to reduce bow waves for fear of harming levees. So under the I-10 bridge you could look up and see freighters going by waaaay above you. Those bridges are built extra high for a reason down there.

All true, it's kind of crazy really.

This picture is from Dec 2011, which means the river is low, it's highest in the spring. You can see the river and the levee, the cars on the right is paid parking all along the river. That parking  is a  little below the water, and that parking right there is probably 10'-15' above the streets of the quarter. 

The crazy part is the water gets to within a few feet of the top of the levee in the spring. The streets are probably 20' lower than the water at times. 

french_quarter_(62).JPG

• Like 1

A new pizza place in town, Pieology, never heard of it.  I guess it's a waste of space if you can't use the sky to advertise also.   Though it might look like the banner is just floating there unaided,  zooming in a bit into the trees, you will see the slow moving noisy little prop plane,  dragging its burden. 

IMG_0314.jpg

• Like 3