Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dtel said:

I hope all the Sargent's are OK with hurricane Michael.

Thank you for thinking of us Elden! Yes we are preparing for the wind. I've been screwing up angle braces this morning on a pavilion type structure (20'x60') we built years ago. We tore a decaying wooden floor out of it over the weekend and we are using it now for a backhoe shelter. We only expect light winds here when compared to those East of us. I don't remember if a Cat4 hurricane ever hitting the panhandle of Florida?   

• Sad 1

• Moderators

I don't remember one either, I wasn't sure where you were in Alabama.

It looks like only the corner of your state will get some really bad winds, hope you all are safe. I know trees can be a bad thing in storms but remembering pictures you posted the trees are pretty thick and this can help keep the winds from being quite as bad lower to the ground. Good luck

20 x 60, very nice

That picture is from 10 years ago. I hosted a machinist forum meet and great over a weekend and one the members had a band that played. It was a lot of fun. I see my mom there in the blue shirt. She has been gone for 5 years now. A picture can bring back so many memories. :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

That is very cool, and a good picture. 

Do you plan on bringing it back to a place for gatherings, just wondering because it looks perfect for that. 

I love those kinds of structures, we added a much smaller one than that to the front garden 16x24, and it gets used more than we would have ever expected. BUT we do not have a back patio like yours either. I was looking for something similar to what you did, shade and some ceiling fans/electricity and a couple of speakers for music.

Edit; I was thinking about that, that was one huge deck under there, that would get expensive fast at that size. We used pea gravel and on the walkways going to it since it's what our driveway is. Cheap and easy, just hose it down if needed and blow off leaves, not the most convenient but good enough for what it is. We did put stepping stones to make it easier to walk out there, it's kind of off the left side of the front porch.

yard2.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

That picture is from 10 years ago. I hosted a machinist forum meet and great over a weekend and one the members had a band that played. It was a lot of fun. I see my mom there in the blue shirt. She has been gone for 5 years now. A picture can bring back so many memories. :)

That's true, sometimes I just sit here going through old pictures on the hard drive, it helps to remember exactly how things were and how much they changed. People pictures are priceless, and it's nice to look back at places we have gone, a picture does not lie, but your memory forgets details. It's a big part of why I like to take pictures, it's like a story that's not possible to recreate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Do you plan on bringing it back to a place for gatherings

At this time, sadly, no. We have had several big parties, Reunions, 50th wedding anniversary, 2 band performances, wedding showers, you name it over these many years in the pavilion.  It was the family meeting place so to speak. The floor was what others wanted to "warm" the place up. It did that for sure, but ground contact with even good pressure treated flooring is a bad idea for the long haul. Even the famous "yellow wood" gave up the ghost so to speak. It was expensive to buy and a big job to install. Can't tell it in the photos, but its all laid on the diamond. Really was pretty to look at.

Your so right about pictures. They help you to remember what was happening and what it felt like even.

• Like 2