Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

@Dave A Sounds like a dream job for me!

I wonder if you built that `73 SE 400 that I had for a while. With the flat spots over the wheels for tools and two teens could fit under the hood if the motor wasn't hot. That car would take my 16 yr old abuse without complaint, had to get the oil moving to the crankcase a little better but it was a very good machine. The exhaust pipes ran straight to the back bumper.... no twists or turns at all. Pretty good for a de-tuned big block.

29 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@Dave A Sounds like a dream job for me!

I wonder if you built that `73 SE 400 that I had for a while. With the flat spots over the wheels for tools and two teens could fit under the hood if the motor wasn't hot. That car would take my 16 yr old abuse without complaint, had to get the oil moving to the crankcase a little better but it was a very good machine. The exhaust pipes ran straight to the back bumper.... no twists or turns at all. Pretty good for a de-tuned big block.

Yes it was a single shift plant at that time so I did something on it.

19 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Mopars were de-fanged/de-tuned for the 1972 model year.😢

Hired in in 8-18-72 just after the Hemi and Super Bee stuff ended there.

34 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Where you there when they made this one? (1968 - my favorite year for the Charger):

The body style had not changed much by 72 so I did work with very similar ones and those early years were my favorites to.

• Like 1

beep beep

1.jpg

At the same time in the 70s a fella down the street had two of these in his garage!!!!!!!!!!

Two shock absorbers opposed to each other on each wheel, "I can drive 160 mph with only a finger on the steering wheel" was his response to how good the handling was on this fantastic beast.

And my boss at the mall when we walked out one night and she had parked next to my new to me Charger because "It's pretty" said "If I had known you liked these I could have sold you this car." "It's getting harder to get a good mechanic to tune the three carburetors correctly. (1980) Then she walked around my Charger and got in her dark purple Barracuda 440 six-pack four speed that shook me when she cranked it up!

Where is that "bangs head smiley" ?

• Like 4

Good Night folks.

Lights out, the front door here has a sliver of a window down the middle.

MVIMG-20181213-233833.jpg

No those aren't blue lights, bleh! must be the green ones showing up like that. It took forever to take all the blues out of all the strings and replace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dave A said:

I used to work for Chrysler Lynch Rd Assembly plant and was there for the last year of the 440ci Chargers. Every once in a while you would get to work weekends driving cars in from the repair yard to the plant. I was the only one who knew how to drive stick shifts so I got to "test" drive them on occasion.

No kidding. I worked the afternoon shift there, summer of '73,driving cars off the line to repair stations. Small world.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Barracuda 440 six-pack four speed that shook me when she cranked it up!

The road runner stuff ended in the 71 model year a couple of months before I hired on. They made those Sattelite Sebrings with big blocks in them too at Lynch Rd. The Barracudas were the fastest thing going at the time from Chrysler as they weighed a lot less. Those were back in the day when gas was cheap and you could see wheelie popping rides street legal and affordable doing their magic on Van Dyke and Woodward Ave at times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

No kidding. I worked the afternoon shift there, summer of '73,driving cars off the line to repair stations. Small world.

Lynch Rd Assembly is still there. You remember how many houses used to be around the plant and no vacant lots? Do a Google satellite search for Lynch Rd now. Those people in Detroit have burned so much stuff down that you could swear you were at the country edge of the city and not in the high density area we can remember. Lynch Rd at its peak had over 4700 people under one roof while I was there. Most of the plant is still there but now employs under 300 as an affirmative action nuts and bolts company. Huber Foundry, Eldon Axle and Lynch Rd Assembly all in that spot and now weeds.

49 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Those were back in the day when gas was cheap ...

In '72, I was spending $ .37 a gallon for regular, which turns out to be $2.27  today. I just filled up paying only $1.83 here in Chattanooga. I just wish my salary had kept up with the cost of inflation.

Bruce

3 minutes ago, Marvel said:

In '72, I was spending $ .37 a gallon for regular, which turns out to be $2.27  today. I just filled up paying only $1.83 here in Chattanooga. I just wish my salary had kept up with the cost of inflation.

Bruce

Drill Baby Drill!!! Gotta love it and I am sure glad an oil friendly dude is in charge now.

There was a window washer that died here in Vegas on Wednesday after falling from the Trump tower suites... I took this photo about 15 minutes before the incident on that day.

31372492147_2b96a4bb00_k.jpg

I don't know why I took it... but I thought it was a little weird that these guys were not using a commercial scaffold at such great heights.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Rig counts drop dramatically as the price of oil plummets (and vice versa):

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_oil_rotary_rigs

rigus.gif

Still up by over 100 from a year ago plus they are getting better at producing more from one drill. I remember when they, the major network news that is, said shale oil was over because it could not work at prices lower than $70 per barrel. Then it became $50 and those drillers were making money and the middle east pooped their pants over that one. Largest potential oil and gas field ever over Saudi Arabia and Venezuala discovered in New Mexico/Texas recently. Part of this is as I understand it subject to refinery capacity also which is being expanded to meet supply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

Where you there when they made this one? (1968 - my favorite year for the Charger):

I too liked the styling of the 68 Charger.

In 68, I was a sophomore at MSU and drove a 61 VW Beetle with a 65 Corvair engine.  The Corvair’s stock four 1bbl carbs were replaced by a 300cfm Carter AFB 4bbl.  With tube headers and straight through mufflers it put out >150 very loud horsepower. At night, flames were visible from the “mufflers.”   I had a second set of reverse flow mufflers that would be temporarily installed just long enough to deal with the fix and repair tickets handed out by the campus police.  

Nothing subtle about the Bug painted Mustang Poppy Red (Orange), with 15” chrome reversed rims.  It did the quarter in the 12s.  It was fun to be cruising at 70 on I-94 and watch a Cadillac approaching in the mirror.  I would gradually accelerate to keep  the Caddie — or other large car — at bay.  Unconsciously, many drivers could not follow a VW Beetle.  At about 85 I would floor it and accelerate away, leaving them to wonder what the hell had just happened.

As an aside, the MSU campus police drove 4 door Olds 442s, the only 4 door 442s I ever saw.  Recall that Lansing, MI was then the home of Oldsmobile (RIP).  The cars had the same sexy Walker chamber pipe exhaust, 400 cid engine, and rear sway bar as regular 442s, but 4 doors to better transport campus criminals.  That high speed pursuit capability came in handy when pursuing miscreants all the way across campus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I too liked the styling of the 68 Charger.

In 68, I was a sophomore at MSU and drove a 61 VW Beetle with a 65 Corvair engine.  The Corvair’s stock four 1bbl carbs were replaced by a 300cfm Carter AFB 4bbl.  With tube headers and straight through mufflers it put out >150 very loud horsepower. At night, flames were visible from the “mufflers.”   I had a second set of reverse flow mufflers that would be temporarily installed just long enough to deal with the fix and repair tickets handed out by the campus police.  

Nothing subtle about the Bug painted Mustang Poppy Red (Orange), with 15” chrome reversed rims.  It did the quarter in the 12s.  It was fun to be cruising at 70 on I-94 and watch a Cadillac approaching in the mirror.  I would gradually accelerate to keep  the Caddie — or other large car — at bay.  Unconsciously, many drivers could not follow a VW Beetle.  At about 85 I would floor it and accelerate away, leaving them to wonder what the hell had just happened.

As an aside, the MSU campus police drove 4 door Olds 442s, the only 4 door 442s I ever saw.  Recall that Lansing, MI was then the home of Oldsmobile (RIP).  The cars had the same sexy Walker chamber pipe exhaust, 400 cid engine, and rear sway bar as regular 442s, but 4 doors to better transport campus criminals.  That high speed pursuit capability came in handy when pursuing miscreants all the way across campus.

My uncle had a VW he called the green monster. It had a Porsche racing engine in it and was a real sleeper. A friend of mine here in Nashville used to have a Mustang with a blown engine in it and he got the cops to agree to clock him to see how fast he could go. 176 mph. He then says you wont believe me but the only car that ever beat me was a green VW. Said he had it wound out one day in Indiana and saw a bouncing green thing catching up to and then passing him. The guy was waiting for him at an ice cream stand with a big grin on his face. I asked my friend if the guy was a kind of gangly toothy looking dude and he said yes how did you know? There was only one Russ crazy enough and smart enough to build that thing and it is amazing he did not kill himself with it. I did see it in pieces in Houston where he had taken it all apart and never did revive it as far as I know.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dave A said:

My uncle had a VW he called the green monster.

Mine was referred to as the Orange Beast.  At 164 cid, the Corvair was larger than a 2 liter (122 cid) Porsche, which gave it more torque.  Some irreverent souls actually put Corvair motors in Porsches, which I considered sacreligious.  I did need a Porsche clutch and pressure plate to get the power to the wheels.

• Like 1