Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Funny thing is, he doesn't speak English yet so he tries to talk to me and I don't understand Tagalog. English isn't taught until they are in school (English is the official language), so you also have to figure out the approximate 17 dialects. I know very little at this point. My wife tries to teach me but without being immersed in it 24/7 it just isn't happening. My wife can converse in a couple of the dialects very well, although there are differences. National language is listed as Filipino, which doesn't really exist seperately. Probably mostly Tagalog.

She can also speak some Mandarin and Japanese.

Since all the trees got tossed around here our "cottage in the woods" isn't anymore, so the yard is ugly but look at this. Yesterday was busy but at about 7a when I opened the curtains it was the most colorful I've seen in a while.

2.jpg

Perhaps foretelling of the massacre that happened last night?

• Like 6

On 1/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, oldtimer said:

Feeding for harvest doesn't make them bums then, does it?

I would suggest moving on from Dickens to Swift---A Modest Proposal.

A good point. These wild Turkeys are nothing like store bought. Best wild game meat out there but the breasts are the only thing you can use. On the ridge top they are supper but in the valley they are pets.

• Like 2

Back from Palawan... lots of trees for shade, always a breeze. I' sure you've never seen a Toyota like this. No telling what it really is. Nice stainless steel body so it won't rust. They'll build you anything you want here. I've seen jeepneys with Mercedes logos on the front, too.

IMG_20190109_8614.jpg

IMG_20190109_30197.jpg

IMG_20190109_5778.jpg

• Like 4

Palawan has a large number of pearl farms, bringing a boost to the economy. Started by a Frenchman, Jacques Branellec. He found an area perfect for the mixture of science and nature to develop pearls allowed to mature in the largest of the pearl oyster, pinctada maxima. There is a pearl farm close to where we were but I don't know if it is one of the Jewelmer farms. Below is a pic of some jewelmer pearls. I didn't take it.

IMG_20190109_47123.jpg

• Like 4

Our little hotel is behind this church and run by some Jesuits as a training school for a career in hospitality. They don't have hot water in the rooms, but really, we didn't need it. It only cost us $100 for six nights. Although the room had airconditioning (which wasn't really necessary with the breeze), the power was off in the part of town were were in a couple of nights we were there.

IMG_20190109_1088.jpg

IMG_20190109_2912.jpg

IMG_20190109_54373.jpg

IMG_20190109_51562.jpg

IMG_20190109_24544.jpg

• Like 6

Inside church in front of our little hotel. Weird, there's a Loyola College across the street, hotel run by the Jesuits there. The nuns are Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres. The church is now managed by the diocese.

IMG_20190110_33152.jpg

• Like 4

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying" she said. "One can't believe impossible things."

I daresay you haven't had much practice." said the Queen. "When I was your age, I  always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Scary, isn't it?

• Thanks 1

This is Pidot with one of my wife's nieces. He worked as a commercial photographer in Manila, but now lives in Culion, Palawan as a painter (signs, houses, etc.). He also makes beautiful lamps and crafts for the tourists. He used to play guitar until he lost part of a finger on his left hand.

Incredibly softspoken and polite, we had a great time talking about large format photography.

IMG_20190111_58952.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is how almost all the mortar work is done here. If people have the money a good 1-2 inches of cement is smoothed over the inside and outside.

Bottom pic is a part of one of our outside walls. This is five years old.

@JohnJ

20190110_164840.jpg

ext_house.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Another SIL's husband is a tricycle driver in Culion. Rates are set by local goverment. Students can get rides to school for 20 pesos which is less than 50 cents.

He came with my wife's sister to pick us up in the small boat.

Pauline and Eduardo...

20190103_151241.jpg

20190103_142748.jpg

• Like 4