Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

19 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== OK, I’m a rank amateur in the hobby but buying a small travel camera, (near pocket size) for a couple upcoming trips. I want good quality, willing to spend a few bucks. For travel is a telephoto, 24-70; 24-250+ a must? Or can fixed lens’ suffice for travel? I’m stuck on 1” sensors, or larger.

So - Sony RX100iii or iv

Lumix LX or ZS

Ricoh GRii fixed lens, large sensor

Canon G7x ii

Fuji X models are too big and far more than I need, care to spend

Keep it simple, same as my skills - 

"Near pocket size" and the lenses you list don't compute....  What kind of phone do you carry?  Do you really need more than that?

OK, let me revise this a bit....you can get telephoto/long range lenses in travel cameras, but, would you really use a 600mm focal length?  Most of the photos you will be taking will be of landscapes, buildings and hopefully people, not long range subjects....I don't think.  That's just been my experience, and I've traveled and shot a lot of pics....

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

Backside of half dome in Yosemite at sunset

Pictures posted were done by you?  I ask because just to get in that position where these pic's were taken is a feat in itself I would think.

Amazing pictures. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

Pictures posted were done by you?  I ask because just to get in that position where these pic's were taken is a feat in itself I would think.

Amazing pictures. 

Thank you, I only post pictures I took.  This last one is easier than you think. I was only a few hundred yards from the road. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Pinball_pw said:

Had to hike the long way around the lake in the dark and saw many fresh tracks including mountain lion. Part of the joy of photography. 

Not too sure about that. :huh:

I love the pictures, unbelievable landscapes, you must just stand there and stare at times. 

You have to be a fan of Ansel Adams, to think of the time and effort he would put into one picture is amazing.

Well done

• Like 4

A local Dentist died and his daughter sold his stuff @ auction here in Podunk.  I spied w/my wittle eye these two 5x7 prints framed in a box of junk.  Best $2 I'd spent in a LONG time!  The Ansel Adams Studio sticker on the backs was kinda torn off.  Obviously he didn't want his wife to know what he paid for them!  lol  No circles of confusion there either guys...  Light above the table...  :)

ansel adams.jpg

• Like 4

Not "great photography," just a phone picture of my completed stereo rig. Lens on the right is a fixed 35mm. On the left, an 18-55 zoom. Learned to calibrate them by framing objects with straight lines that are just at infinite focus range. Then, I fine tune the zoom to the fixed lens framing. I set to manual focus to ensure neither lens moves from infinite. After that, I can shoot as many different pix as I want as long as they are infinite focus. Next sunny day (nice out, but overcast) I am going downtown on a stereo expedition.

This is fun! And, yes, Iain (Seti) has a stereo camera. Turns out he dropped by yesterday to pick up a hard drive of PWK's recordings for the KMAH. Short, but good visit! What's more strange is that he has an identical Keystone to mine. It was the first time either of us was aware of any more Keystones. Strange...

Dave

20190202_134853[1].png

• Like 6