Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

Cool pic, we like daylilies also and have a section in the garden just for those. And another 8'x24' raised bed to propagate more, were down to about 15-20 different ones, would like to add some new ones to mix in.

yard-05.JPG

• Like 4

• Moderators

I have never seen a frog in one of our daylilies, and we have many frogs. Mostly the little green ones and a few bullfrogs, that is cool.

9 minutes ago, billybob said:

Easter Lillies:

Where we live Easter Lillies never bloom for Easter, are they supposed to? When we had Christmas Cactus they never bloomed at Christmas either, I guess it depends on where you live.

In a way Daylily flowers remind me alot of Tropical waterlilies flowers, we grew and sold them for a long time, still have the ponds, need to get back into it. 

waterlillies_(30).jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, dtel said:

Where we live Easter Lillies never bloom for Easter, are they supposed to? When we had Christmas Cactus they never bloomed at Christmas either, I guess it depends on where you live.

In a way Daylily flowers remind me alot of Tropical waterlilies flowers, we grew and sold them for a long time, still have the ponds, need to get back into it. 

Cannot recall any frogs so much in flowers but sure thing. We were ate up with frogs singing while she tried to sleep. Between them and crickets, the rain frogs, etc. made you think you had tinnitus.

6 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

love water lilies. My favorite lily was actually the Stargazer lily. 

Pretty nice flower have seen it , possibly in a book. Flower child here but, she the author, and I the hoper. Have many others, but guess this my second pic here. Cherokee Rose and wild Trumpet vine and a Star something... when wireless permits...

• Moderators
On 2/8/2019 at 10:49 PM, billybob said:

Cherokee Rose and wild Trumpet vine and a Star something... when wireless permits...

Must be those new age plants, they require wireless internet to bloom. :lol:

• Haha 2

• Moderators

The only vines we have tried were Morning Glory, this is what 2 small packs did to the front of the bar. 

I don't always do that, they don't climb/cling you have to have something to hold them up which is a pain to fix every few days as they grow, I put a few little temporary nails.  I need to find something more permanent that will not take over and can take full sun and winter.

yard12 (2).jpg

• Like 5

Virginia Creeper might work, it will go dormant in winter but not die back.  It is deciduous.  A more evergreen alternative could be crossvine, but it will adhere best to rough surfaces.  It does fine on rough cut even if painted lumber, and has run across the top framing of my garage door.  It will need a little help here and there to stay where you want it.  The spring blooms are really cool.

As far as taking over, crossvine is easier to control, but virginia creeper isn't that bad if you trim it back once or twice a year.  

• Moderators

I need to look into those, many years ago we had fig ivy on a back porch, it was slow but the problem is it puts roots into everything even metal.

No problem trimming it a couple times a year or even helping it get up there, especially if it's not every year. I will check them out Thanks.

I like how it looks with vines in front but that morning glory starts to burn out even before any frost and it's dead.

Neither puts roots in deep.  The creeper uses little suction like cups that do not penetrate.  Crossvine is even less adhesive, using tendrils, but tries its best.  They both do well in north central Texas, so in your locale should have no problem.  Both are native plants.  For spring bloom crossvine is spectacular, for ivy looking coverage creeper fills the bill, but is deciduous, at least here.