Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

Babadono looks like you live in a beautiful area 👍

That's exactly what I was thinking, driving to work could look much worse.

You get up in the mountains much, not counting going home to your mountain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pinball_pw said:

The Milky Way galaxy as seen in Wisconsin. Clicking on the photos seems to show them in better resolution. 

2A4F13AE-CBB4-4E25-8822-93E6FE333E9C.jpeg

Do you winter in Florida? Love the Wisconsin pics. My parents retired to northwestern wisc. and I lived between Madison and Milwaukee. It's a beautiful state, except for the winters.

Bruce

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

Do you winter in Florida? Love the Wisconsin pics. My parents retired to northwestern wisc. and I lived between Madison and Milwaukee. It's a beautiful state, except for the winters.

Bruce

I moved from the Eau Claire area about 4 years ago. I agree it is a beautiful state with harsh winters. This pic is from the Hayward area, a favorite destination of ours. We still try to make it up to Wisconsin for a month or two in the summer when possible. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Pinball_pw said:

Do you see what I see, an alligator in a tree?  This is near St. Augustine, FL. I love kayaking, but don’t think I would like to look up at that. 

The good thing it's a youngster, the bad thing is the parents are probably in the same area, not good in a kayak, or canoe, for me anyway. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pinball_pw said:

Do you see what I see, an alligator in a tree?  This is near St. Augustine, FL. I love kayaking, but don’t think I would like to look up at that. 

Is that a croc up north?

Reason I ask is that snout seems pointy. 

Crocs are supposedly even more mean!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Is that a croc up north?

It could be, looks different than the gators in my back yard pond. 

Marvel, good memories for sure.  That area is amazing and not as crowded as it could be. Especially once you are outside of Hayward. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Is that a croc up north?

1 hour ago, Pinball_pw said:

It could be, looks different than the gators in my back yard pond. 

It wouldn't be impossible but Parrish, Fla is a little too far North for a croc. But you never know

To me it looks like about a 4' alligator, judging by the lotus and other plants sizes. When there that size they look much leaner and long and skinny. They seem to get much bulkier as they grow in length, after 6-7 feet they ten to get much heavier per foot. A long time ago I had little ones as pets and removed 5-6 from our pond in the backyard, a stray one moves in every other year or so, they average 3'-4'. 

Being from Louisiana I have seen them all my life and it's not a problem, but we moved an hour North and put a 1.5 acre pond in the yard. It was quite a surprise to see one swimming in the pond while cutting grass, we are nowhere close to any swamp or big bodies of water. 

I am no expert but have seen alot of them from 50 years of fishing and hunting, it's never a problem unless you don't see them first.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, dtel said:

It wouldn't be impossible but Parrish, Fla is a little too far North for a croc. But you never know

To me it looks like about a 4' alligator, judging by the lotus and other plants sizes. When there that size they look much leaner and long and skinny. They seem to get much bulkier as they grow in length, after 6-7 feet they ten to get much heavier per foot. A long time ago I had little ones as pets and removed 5-6 from our pond in the backyard, a stray one moves in every other year or so, they average 3'-4'. 

Being from Louisiana I have seen them all my life and it's not a problem, but we moved an hour North and put a 1.5 acre pond in the yard. It was quite a surprise to see one swimming in the pond while cutting grass, we are nowhere close to any swamp or big bodies of water. 

I am no expert but have seen alot of them from 50 years of fishing and hunting, it's never a problem unless you don't see them first.

I can’t imagine having them as pets. Ponds here have gators. You just plan on it. I don’t mind for the most part. It isn’t good to surprise them as I found out once on accident, but that is another story. 

• Moderators

Well, it was before I was a supposed adult, it was a fenced-in space with small alligators and turtles with a small pond for them, I would put minnows in the pond for them to eat. One thing I will says is when they are small they are really fast to turn and bite, way faster than any adult and the teeth are very pointy when little.

Since we put the pond in the yard and no swamp for miles I didn't expect any. My neighbor said they may move after bad rains when other ponds overflow they follow branches looking for different ponds. I also read during mating season in early summer they tend to roam much more than normal, who knows ?

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Yea the small ones I saw around Pt. St. John, FL were very fast and easy to tell apart from a skink! And the skinks were two feet long and bigger there too.

Everything bigger in TX? Maybe not... the creatures are huge in FL. It was the spiders that weighed by the pound, that could wrap their legs around a basketball with an overlap that flipped me out. There was a song on my ZROCK station in CLT years ago "Die MFR Die!" that came to my mind immediately  when I heard or saw those suckers!! Couldn't chase them without a shovel or a shotgun though.

First met fire ants at the Skylab 3 blastoff in Titusville when I was a kid so fascinated by science that I did not think that mound I stood on to see beside US1 would pose a risk:ohmy:.

Ya never forget a mistake like that!

We've had them here 600 miles north since they came in on vehicles from the south, south, southern southwest.

Now I know I brought contraband here to this very property. We've had lizards, even spectacular chameleons here 1/4 mile from any creeks ever since I started driving back and forth to central FL in late `92!

• Haha 1