Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

The gulf is dirty no doubt.  The atlantic doesn't get all that great until the Caribbean.  The water is shallower in the east and gets a turquoise look which is amazing from the air.  In Hawaii it gets deep fast so the hues are darker but when the waves curl there is nothing else like it in the USA.

• Like 1

Things change East of the Mississippi. And there's that quartz crystal sand. Powdery and soft. Try to get down farther east sometime Carl, if you're adventurous. Down towards the big bend. Old small towns. Old white clapboard house with blue trim, palms, rope with a few buoys strung around. Get a galvanized washtub and 40 pounds of ice. It gets humid, bring plenty of hydration. Toss it in the tub with a few pounds of Reds. Don't forget to check the legs on that old chaise lounge before you sit down. Check the calendar in about a month.

Or, you could check out that fish poop sand on the beach's of HI that we read about.

Maybe Eldon will check in. He's been around.

Keith

• Moderators

When you fly out over the gulf by the river you see a clear line of salt and fresh water, water from the river is dirty brown the gulf is blue and clear. 

It's the reason the further you get East or West of the mouth of the river the clearer the water gets, or if you just head straight South.  The freshwater from the river stays along the coast in both directions.

When fishing the gulf along this line it can be blue on one side of the boat and brown on the other, it does not mix easily. This is a great place to fish because the bigger sports fish follow this line looking for food/baitfish. Caught a #175 6'6" tarpon along this line, it took 1.5 hours to reel him in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, T2K said:

Things change East of the Mississippi. And there's that quartz crystal sand. Powdery and soft. Try to get down farther east sometime Carl, if you're adventurous. Down towards the big bend. Old small towns. Old white clapboard house with blue trim, palms, rope with a few buoys strung around. Get a galvanized washtub and 40 pounds of ice. It gets humid, bring plenty of hydration. Toss it in the tub with a few pounds of Reds. Don't forget to check the legs on that old chaise lounge before you sit down. Check the calendar in about a month.

Or, you could check out that fish poop sand on the beach's of HI that we read about.

Maybe Eldon will check in. He's been around.

Keith

We used to vacation in Panama City every year.  I also lived in Daytona for 6 years and we would camp in the keys.  I've seen pretty water and beautiful beaches.  The ones around here can't compare though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

We used to vacation in Panama City every year.  I also lived in Daytona for 6 years and we would camp in the keys.  I've seen pretty water and beautiful beaches.  The ones around here can't compare though.

We just sold my Dad's home just north of Panama City. It was nice having a vacation spot within a 11 hour drive. I really like their beaches, but they become insanely crowded during certain times of the year. We would go farther east on the coast, Mexico Beach is nice, but I really fell in love with St George Island. It isn't nearly as crowded, and has everything right there on the island.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

We used to go there when I was in my teens. Much has changed since then in PC. My favorite place to stay there is a house on FB Road across the street from the beach. Built around 1951 and quaint. Several years ago my cardiologist asked me what we did for fun. I told him the longer more detailed story of my favorite time away down there and he asked me what exactly what we did there. I told him we relaxed. Told him we lay around on the beach hydrating and then go eat seafood. I said that it was the purist form of relaxation that I knew of. I told him he should go with us sometime. He gave me his cell number. I must have been convincing. Take the time friend.

The other comment was to yank oldtimers chain. He loves it.

Keith

Edited by T2K
correct my attempted murder of the English language
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

We just sold my Dad's home just north of Panama City. It was nice having a vacation spot within a 11 hour drive. I really like their beaches, but they become insanely crowded during certain times of the year. We would go farther east on the coast, Mexico Beach is nice, but I really fell in love with St George Island. It isn't nearly as crowded, and has everything right there on the island.

Too bad about Mexico Beach, it was a nice area.

PC.jpg

PC 2.jpg

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, T2K said:

Too bad about Mexico Beach, it was a nice area.

PC.jpg

PC 2.jpg

That was a bummer about all the damage Mexico Beach had. 

Are these current pics? Looks wonderful.

I wonder how St George Island held up?

My family tried to keep my Dad's place just for vacations, but being vacant for months at a time definitely took it's toll on the place. We are 720 miles from his house.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That was a bummer about all the damage Mexico Beach had. 

Are these current pics? Looks wonderful.

I wonder how St George Island held up?

Those pictures were from late summer 2016, the last time I made it down that way. West PC.

Keith