Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

Reminds me of an old joke.

A man was in court in front of a judge on charges of killing a bald eagle and eating it.

After he explained to the judge what happened the judge said I now understand. After you fell down the mountainside and broke your leg and could not get back up you sat there for a few days hoping someone would rescue you and was weak from lack of food and water. So you saw a bird and decided to shoot it to cook and have something to eat as you were getting weak still hoping someone would rescue you, is this correct?                  Yes, sir, the man said, it's the only reason and I did not even know it was an eagle.   The judge dismissed the case and the man walked out of the courtroom to find all the press waiting to interview him. 

They asked a few questions and the last one was, well what did it taste like?              Not thinking the man said a little like spotted owl. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, dtel said:

That is a cool looking pig, nice markings.

They are cool pigs indeed. Very well mannered and love our social interactions. Big momma will roll over for belly scratches if the mood is right.. hoping to breed these two and have offspring for the table. Google "KuneKune" pigs if you want to learn more about the breed.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

hoping to breed these two and have offspring for the table.

We used to raise 2 a year, the best pork we have ever had. But doing what you do with all the animals is a job and takes time every day, but much better quality. We had chickens also, people think free food, it's far from free, feed cost adds up. But it is fun if you can be there every day and great if you have kids.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

We used to raise 2 a year, the best pork we have ever had. But doing what you do with all the animals is a job and takes time every day, but much better quality. We had chickens also, people think free food, it's far from free, feed cost adds up. But it is fun if you can be there every day and great if you have kids.

Oh absolutely - growing your own food is not economical. You lose all economies of scale, but you also get back all of the quality and peace of mind lost through our current worldwide scale. I'm getting creative with feed - I've managed to find a local brewery that's giving me spent grains and I'm trying to build relationships with some local "farm to table" restaurants for vegetable scraps. All stuff to augment, not replace their regular diet. That's the cool thing about KuneKune pigs, in that they come from NZ and are predominantly grass eaters so they fit perfectly with my goats and can simply be put on pasture.

It's very easy to have sprawl with a hobby farm, so we're trying to take a sustainable approach, buy complimentary animals, and focus our efforts on animals that can feed us in some way.

• Like 6

• Moderators

I can hardly watch baseball it just seems slow, but it is sure fun playing it. Played on men's leagues, mixed leagues with women where the men must bat left-handed if normally right and church leagues. It was all fun, I probably can't even run anymore, haven't played in 20+ years. 

• Like 2