Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:53 AM, CAMike said:

Davis Monathan AZ Air Show March 2019.  

F-35 "Pissing Off The Neighbors and Enemies".

064A0762 a.jpg

F-22 Raptor; note the dual engine humps between the vertical stabilizers, shape of intake and canopy, diamond shape APU door inboard of the left wing as a few visual clues

• Like 4

The Blues always make for good photo subjects.  Their "Noises" most definitely piss off some neighbors.  Others Embrace it!

I truly hope that you guys enjoyed the show.  

Since someone will probably ask about what they're seeing in the pic.  As you approach the speed of sound, air molecules build up on the leading edges and parts of the aircraft that are making it difficult for the air molecules to smoothly flow around them, so the molecules build up like a wall (think perpendicular) until they can slow enough to move past that wall of buildup. In this pic, the temp and humidity are such that you don't see the more common cloud of visible vapor, you see the light bending in the water immediately behind the wall.  Think of looking through a magnifying glass from a side view.  I take a lot of photos at air shows and this one was taken at San Francisco Fleet week some yeas ago.   I'm so fortunate the humidity is relatively low in my sound room ;)~

btw- If you see this phenomena on your speaker cones, you've turned it up too loud.

Blues 5 HSP 8x10 IMG_2571.jpg

Edited by CAMike
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

We're really near P'cola NAS.

Then you get an awful lot of free Air Shows during the week👊  I'd like to return for a week, maybe next year.

I was there circa 1984 and then on to Milton in 1985.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/4/2019 at 8:46 PM, Pinball_pw said:

Self portrait 

Good looking turkey.

5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

Wow she's getting big !

Yes, she is as you get older, it's just how it is.

• Like 1

The F35s are tough little planes, but that F-22 is sexy like a Lambo.

Mid 90s had an apartment just east of the runway at the Daytona airport. After a weekend show an F-16 flew just enough away from the airport to be over me and Apollo out for a walk, he turned the nose straight up jammed the throttle and we felt the concussion as I saw the fireball get smaller then the sonic boom and couldn't even tell where that jet was then!

not my pics!

26.jpg

F16

Untitled2.png

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

Just remember I'm learning .. What you forgot.. And don't remind me !

With kids the learning never stops, you never know what they are going to do next.

She is growing up, next is the boy thing, take your blood pressure medicine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That is a cool pic, but I would think the car is quite the letdown after climbing out of a fighter jet.

These are the next two, that was a brand new lambo a few years back designed with those F-22 esque angles. Somehow they got to race and the car hung with the fighter until it went airborne.

27.jpg

28.jpg

Can't help it cool or an old big block with a wild cam just trip my trigger.... always have!

• Like 4

I was there at the Naval Air Test Center Patuxent River in the 70's when a funny car raced an F-14 off the land based catapult. The aircraft was extremely light loaded with fuel and the funny car had no traction on the rough runway so the F-14 was timed from launch to airbourne and the funny car went to a nearby dragstrip (Budd's Creek??) and timed over that distance, the F-14 won but know that it had the catapult assist.

During the acceptance flights of the F-22 from the factory (I was test coordinator) the Raptor had a chase F-16 so that ATC could see them on radar. The F-16 would take off, build speed and come back around, announce 10 seconds to the F-22's stationary hold position on the runway then the Raptor would go to burner (only one burner takeoff for LM and one for customer due to noise abatement) and the Raptor would outrun the chase from a dead start. 

We had to change areas where supersonic, non-afterburner, "supercruise"  flight was tested due to complaints from cattle ranchers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1