Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

two more pics after our breakfast on the pier this past weekend.  The Fisherman's is on both sides of the pier,  this pic of the other side, which is their bar side and another shot with a bit of a pier view.  

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/2/2019 at 10:41 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

Thanks! They're fantastic kiddos to be raising.

Those are great B&Ws, should go on the portrait wall!

*been hectic here lately..... Thursday when I was edging the lawn I heard something scurry across the street and hit the leaves near me. Looked up and this was five feet away:

IMG-20190801-101845.jpg

So it's here in our neighborhood and not going away, first time I've seen one from the day it was born through a few weeks later. Last of this one next time one of those football sized turtles, the redtail, a brown eagle or a coyote is near I'll try to snap a shot of them.

• Like 5

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I love it when photogs make the "supreme sacrifice" to get the shot!  

LOCAL MAN DIES TAKING A PHOTOGRAPH

JohnJ, a well-known audiophile here, perished late Saturday evening while attempting to capture a wildlife photo.

The Police report states, JohnJ was attacked and subdued by football sized turtles while photographing wildlife in his back yard.  According to the report he was also attacked by a redtail  and a brown eagle.  His remains were partially consumed by the coyote's after the initial attack according to the report.

An autopsy will be performed where his Schitt, after the Y cut, will be placed in a red bio-bag in his chest cavity after examination

Funeral arrangements are pending.

Mama don't let your sons grow up to be Cowboys!

• Haha 2

I went to Nashville a few weeks ago for a short work trip. Apparently my 5 yr old was certain that I'd like it there so much that I was going to just setup shop, start a new family, and never come back.

My 7yr old reassured her, however, by pointing out that I didn't take my La Scalas and sundry equipment with me so clearly I would be returning.

That girl gets it.

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I went to Nashville a few weeks ago for a short work trip. Apparently my 5 yr old was certain that I'd like it there so much that I was going to just setup shop, start a new family, and never come back.

My work sent me to Virginia once and after about a month, i was talking to one of the kids on the phone and she asks, “Are you ever coming home?”  That was heartbreaking. No job is worth that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

My work sent me to Virginia once and after about a month, i was talking to one of the kids on the phone and she asks, “Are you ever coming home?”  That was heartbreaking. No job is worth that. 

absolutely agreed. This was 4 days.. lol.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2019 at 10:10 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

My girls, Adelaide and Anabelle. Age 7.5 and 5, respectively.

DSCF5594.jpg

DSCF5617.jpg

As always really really great photos!  Curious, do you shoot with the camera setting in black and white or do you convert in Lightroom or some other photo editing software? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joshnich said:

As always really really great photos!  Curious, do you shoot with the camera setting in black and white or do you convert in Lightroom or some other photo editing software? 

Thanks. I process with the RAW files (and I shoot with dual cards RAW + JPG), but will sometimes switch over to a monochrome mode if I'm having trouble visualizing how the conversion will turn out. I have these great glass sliding doors in our living room that face west and plenty of mature tree cover so it gives me some great light to play with and I generally know how the composition will turn out for certain periods of the day.

I then use Lightroom for some slight tweaking of levels and the application of a combination of presets that I've found give me a consistent B/W "look and feel" conversion for how I shoot.

I generally don't apply any further sharpening, blemish touch ups, or other corrections - I just try to frame the shot, nail focus (lots of practice since I generally shoot f/2.8 or wider), and setup the lighting contrast in a manner that I know will convert well to monochrome. I mostly shoot people and people are imperfect, so I keep that in my shots.

The other piece is a heavy handed self-imposed editorial process. I shoot much more than I share, and share only what's essential to convey the narrative of an event or the best bits of personal emotion from a portrait session. For the quick 15 minute session referenced above it lasted about 15 minutes, I took around 30 frames, and 2 were worth sharing.