Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

26 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Thanks. I process with the RAW files (and I shoot with dual cards RAW + JPG), but will sometimes switch over to a monochrome mode if I'm having trouble visualizing how the conversion will turn out. I have these great glass sliding doors in our living room that face west and plenty of mature tree cover so it gives me some great light to play with and I generally know how the composition will turn out for certain periods of the day.

I then use Lightroom for some slight tweaking of levels and the application of a combination of presets that I've found give me a consistent B/W "look and feel" conversion for how I shoot.

I generally don't apply any further sharpening, blemish touch ups, or other corrections - I just try to frame the shot, nail focus (lots of practice since I generally shoot f/2.8 or wider), and setup the lighting contrast in a manner that I know will convert well to monochrome. I mostly shoot people and people are imperfect, so I keep that in my shots.

The other piece is a heavy handed self-imposed editorial process. I shoot much more than I share, and share only what's essential to convey the narrative of an event or the best bits of personal emotion from a portrait session. For the quick 15 minute session referenced above it lasted about 15 minutes, I took around 30 frames, and 2 were worth sharing.

Thanks for the information. I am recently getting back into photography. Having learned and shot with film, transitioning to the digital world has been interesting. I am somewhat amazed with the current reliance on editing software - And at the same time wowed with the ability to shoot 30 frames to keep two! Sounds like you are old school with the attention to detail on the setup and are able to take advantage of what digital offers in regards to having multiple images from which to choose. Again, I have admired your images on these pages for sometime and know that they don’t happen by happenstance, 

4 minutes ago, joshnich said:

Thanks for the information. I am recently getting back into photography. Having learned and shot with film, transitioning to the digital world has been interesting. I am somewhat amazed with the current reliance on editing software - And at the same time wowed with the ability to shoot 30 frames to keep two! Sounds like you are old school with the attention to detail on the setup and are able to take advantage of what digital offers in regards to having multiple images from which to choose. Again, I have admired your images on these pages for sometime and know that they don’t happen by happenstance, 

Thanks for the kind words! There are segments of photographers who certainly rely on post processing heavily for their final images. I tend to treat it more like a digital darkroom and keep it simple with light adjustments and b/w conversion or color tweaks. I'm certainly not a "straight out of camera" snob, but I do do try to nail my settings and not get sloppy. I'm primarily a documentarian and focus on telling narratives or capturing pockets of emotion over the course of time, such as with my girls. So that leaves me some flexibility with regards to imperfections in the final result. I'm planning to take the family on a surprise trip to the Dallas World Aquarium next Friday, so I'm sure I'll have some more to share then.

In the meantime, feel free to ping me via PM if you have any questions.

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Thanks for the kind words! There are segments of photographers who certainly rely on post processing heavily for their final images. I tend to treat it more like a digital darkroom and keep it simple with light adjustments and b/w conversion or color tweaks. I'm certainly not a "straight out of camera" snob, but I do do try to nail my settings and not get sloppy. I'm primarily a documentarian and focus on telling narratives or capturing pockets of emotion over the course of time, such as with my girls. So that leaves me some flexibility with regards to imperfections in the final result. I'm planning to take the family on a surprise trip to the Dallas World Aquarium next Friday, so I'm sure I'll have some more to share then.

In the meantime, feel free to ping me via PM if you have any questions.

Will do! Thx!

My wife at Bishops Castle in the San Isabel National Forest, Colorado. A remarkable structure, built by one man (The castle, not my wife. She is remarkable as well, but required one man and one woman to build) on private property within the forest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Castle

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

Edited by JBCODD
clarity
  • Like 7

Went to the Dallas World Aquarium with the family this morning as part of a celebration day (11th wedding anniversary). Made a total n00b error and somehow had my EV comp dial set such that everything was shot at ISO 12800 for nearly the entire trip. Nothing totally ruined, but it made for some funky colors and lots of grain, so I applied some quick vintage color profiles in an effort to salvage the overall presentation of the shots.

Many shots on my photostream, a few presented below: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97847060@N07/

DSCF5725.jpg

DSCF5713.jpg

DSCF5707.jpg

DSCF5687.jpg

DSCF5627.jpg

• Like 7

@Thaddeus Smith Congratulations Michael regarding the anniversary and the family outing.  I’m sure that you all had a wonderful time and that’s just great. Enjoy the remainder of your day. 

I remember back in my wedded days, I was an avid bowler once upon a time, and one anniversary i tried (unsuccessfully) to convince my wife that is was our “reactive resin” anniversary according to Hallmark, therefore i should get a new bowling ball for my anniversary gift.  She didn’t believe me. Turns out if was our" buy her flowers and eat chinese food" anniversary. 

• Like 3

ALZHEIMER'S SUCKS!  Yup 52nd year for the Bratwurst Festival here and my 95-year-old Mother is now in assisted living struggling with Sundowner's syndrome. FEW good days anymore so I started thinking outside the box. She loves her Buckeyes, took me to my first game LONG ago and wanted me to go there.  So I wanted to jog her memory a bit. I could have asked former players I know who were in town but she wouldn't know any of them then I bump into THIS guy!  Props to him for stopping in this morning to see my Mama and a few of the other residents there.  Yea, she KNEW who it was. Who doesn't?  What was she thinking?  Sure haters are gonna hate and that's fine with me!  She rarely talks anymore and when she does it's random thoughts.  I almost missed the shot screwing around with my cell.  A GOOD photographer captures everything in the photo. The fact she reached out to touch him and her small smile told me everything and truly made my day.  Thankful I got the shot and didn't miss it. It's a forever keeper for me!  ANYthing to see her smile anymore just kills me.  It just doesn't happen.  Normally I'd never share my mother in a picture here but the bottom line is ALZHEIMER'S SUCKS! 

Mom-and-John-Chubb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
On 8/16/2019 at 2:43 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

Went to the Dallas World Aquarium with the family this morning as part of a celebration day

That's the best part, taking pictures of your family especially when the kids are, well still kids, they will be grown quickly and pictures like this are priceless later. :emotion-21: 

• Like 2

@Dave1290 Alzheimer's took my mother several years ago many years before she passed at 92! I could not agree more. Sundowners was something I never knew existed, but is a very real, disturbing symptom. When my mother still had lucid moments, there were only three things she could discuss with authority. Cardinal baseball, Notre Dame football (my brother went there) and Duke basketball (my nephew / her grandson went there). I found it odd that those were the topics she held onto but was happy there were at least a couple left. I had to avoid visiting her after a ND loss, put her in a foul mood. Your photo brought back fond memories. Thank you

• Thanks 1

Something that brings joy to my mother since she can't make and/or direct music at church anymore is the animals around here now. Still has her marbles but her body is ailing now.

She's been cranking "The Commish" for a couple episodes, it's a square picture!

We're six miles from downtown, twenty from the outskirts of the metro area. There was a lot of animals in that acreage that had the Celanese laboratory two blocks away. Suckers live in the $$$ condos there now. Our three bucks were in the front yard the other day, just saw that fawn limping across the drive when I came back from the store a couple minutes ago.

IMG-20190815-140101.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Something that brings joy to my mother since she can't make and/or direct music at church anymore is the animals around here now. Still has her marbles but her body is ailing now.

She's been cranking "The Commish" for a couple episodes, it's a square picture!

We're six miles from downtown, twenty from the outskirts of the metro area. There was a lot of animals in that acreage that had the Celanese laboratory two blocks away. Suckers live in the $$$ condos there now. Our three bucks were in the front yard the other day, just saw that fawn limping across the drive when I came back from the store a couple minutes ago.

IMG-20190815-140101.jpg

There is Dasher (1), Dancer (2), Prancer (3), and Vixen (4). Comet (5), Cupid (6), Donner(7), and Blitzen(8). Rudolph(9) Oliver(10).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
On 8/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, dirtmudd said:

There is Dasher (1), Dancer (2), Prancer (3), and Vixen (4). Comet (5), Cupid (6), Donner(7), and Blitzen(8). Rudolph(9) Oliver(10).

Oh good there headed to the back yard to the smoker, perfect, just leave a few for mom to watch, we can take Oliver don't think he fits in really.

• Haha 3