Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

That's exactly why I stopped shooting.  Initially you got a few bucks, film and mileage for the away games.  The downside of that was you had to use your own gear  Then the cost of news print started going thru the roof so they eliminated the film and mileage and gave you a lil extra for each print.  Ummmm, ok, I got some nice perks, Indy, Mid-Ohio and Muirfield credentials. Throw in some OSU sports and Indians/Browns stuff KINDA made it all even out.  Thing was the regulars photogs got the wkends off, which was great for them until they got bored sitting home with the wife on wkends.  THEN the digital gear came on board.  A stringer didn't have a chance!  EVERYone w/a digital was shooting over your shoulder and havin a blast looking at the "film back" to see if they got the shot.  THEN it even hit the weddings w/Uncle Tom and friends shooting over my shoulder.  Yup,, you line em up and put everyone in the wedding party thru their paces in the formals.  Didn't make a dime w/everyone else shooting.  Done, nope, no mas!  Next up?  The camera's in cell phones!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Ask michael colter about his film business. Michael won awards, beautiful photography, medium format...

Then every mom and pop has a digital camera, cell phone, pocker camera...

Done...

I went through the same thing and moved out of my studio in 2008. Put all my lights, backgrounds, etc. in the garage. I still shoot but a trickle of what I used to do. The last wedding I did for money was about 5 years ago for a young lady who used to model for my lighting seminars. I got a book cover out of one of the images. She also had a degree in photography from a school in Illinois. She even bought a Canon camera and lens from me. Everyone practices photography with their phones nowadays, so it has killed off the value of a pro because it's so easy to just push a button and the hell with good lighting and posing techniques. Let's not even mention Photoshop!!

• Thanks 1

Ah, Photoshop....

It really takes a lot of work and practice to get good at using Photoshop. Most people overdo effects and changes to photos. I'm meaning when cleaning up or retouching images and not special compositions. A good friend of mine uses it ALL the time. He does page layout and composition and is already a really good photographer. He puts in at least 8 hrs a day using those tools.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Lol, all you cranky old guys waxing poetic about the good ol days. I guess I'm just DWAC you loathe so deeply?

i remember the days that kids were to be seen and not heard.  problem is that i apparently never graduated out of that phase. I’ve been to a family gathering when they hired a professional photographer to take a group photo. there was actually an argument as to whether i should be allowed in the picture. all the guys were in suits and here i was a hippie long hair in blue jeans.  I made it into the photo though ... the family matriarch loved me and she couldn’t be overruled. 

• Haha 1

It is what it is.  When I see kids on the floor of a stadium w/$40k in glass and Nikon bodies hangin on them it's time to pack it in.  "Yea, my dad works for Nikon."  Ummm ok.  I'm out!  lolol  ALL Dad's are entitled as are Mom's.  It only happens ONCE and if you miss it or don't have then nads to go get it then it's on YOU!  Simple.  MANY times I've taken off a high dollar Nikon EDIF auto-focus lense and swapped it w/a parent so they could get a good shot of their kid.  They walk back and go WOW!  hahaha  Makes me happy knowing they have a few great photos that they took.  

• Like 2

I used to shoot 16mm film for news, and would haved loved to have the gear that is available today to shoot news "footage". What annoys me is the local have the same four shots repeated until the announcer is done. We tried to make a 1:30 to 3:00  movie that gave you the story without the audio.

Bruce

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marvel said:

We tried to make a 1:30 to 3:00  movie that gave you the story without the audio.

Yea, ya work your tail off then get chopped.  ALWAYS about the ad money.

The guy who got the shot of Jack Ruby nalin Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas after the Kennedy shooting worked for Freedom Family papers and got a $10k bonus for "luckily" getting that shot.  The paper made more than a million selling it.  It's ALWAYS about the money!  Trust me I've felt your pain.

As a stringer I've been there and done that too.  Did get invited to a Gannett Christmas party once.  They gave me a coffee mug and a slap on the back for getting a few page one "spot news and sports" shots.  Then my photo editor told me some big shot was impressed w/my stuff and asked him how long I'd worked there.  He told them I was just a stringer and the publisher said "and he got a coffee mug and was a stringer?"  hahaha  A new level of pathetic in my book when I was told that.   AND he said he was dead serious and wasn't joking.  Time to go!  hahaha

On 11/5/2019 at 8:26 AM, Marvel said:

Ah, Photoshop....

It really takes a lot of work and practice to get good at using Photoshop. Most people overdo effects and changes to photos. I'm meaning when cleaning up or retouching images and not special compositions. A good friend of mine uses it ALL the time. He does page layout and composition and is already a really good photographer. He puts in at least 8 hrs a day using those tools.

There was an old saying for us early adopters of digital output (1986 for me, not a typo) about Photoshop (V 2.0 for me), "Photoshop=Your Home Away from Home"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

"Photoshop=Your Home Away from Home"

There is a lot of software that I have used, and found myself realizing the sun was coming up...

I used the first version of Pagemaker, which fit on a 400k floppy for the Mac, and the Mac I used only had 512k of RAM.

• Like 1

@JohnJ   Really can't remember. In relation to what, exactly. I did ad layout for a small weekly paper in Monona, WI, from '80-'88, almost exclusively with PM. I named our Apple Laserwriter Godot, in refernce to the story, as we were always waiting for Godot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2