Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

On 11/7/2019 at 12:17 PM, Marvel said:

There is a lot of software that I have used, and found myself realizing the sun was coming up...

I used the first version of Pagemaker, which fit on a 400k floppy for the Mac, and the Mac I used only had 512k of RAM.

Now all that functionality is built in to Word and has bee for years. The Mac's killer app was Pagmeaker, which put the typesetter's union out of business. The "killer app" for the PC was Lotus123, which caused a huge sales jump for IBM and clones. I talked to Jonathan Sachs, the guy who wrote Lotus123, and he's an avid photographer who wrote "Picture Window" as an affordable alternative to Photoshop.

PageMaker was killed off by Adobe a long time ago when they rolled out InDesign. It is an awesome program and certainly won't get replced by MS Word. MS Word is still pretty unstable and can't reliably handle any of the complex needs of publishing.

This will open up so you can see the work of a friend of mine. He does all the production in InDesign. (alert... this is a magazine of a Presbyterian college) You can make it full screen to view it.

https://issuu.com/covenant-college/docs/view_spring2018  

36 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Has tons of manipulative options and did have plug-ins a while back... don't know about now.

I always recommend this to folks who think they want PS. Only works in Windows. It was developed by interns at Microsoft as a replacement form MS Paint, but they decided not to use it and released it to the interns. It woks really well.

Bruce

I despise Word but I have to use it at work. I use WordPerfect for all my literary and personal writing, as do many writers and journalists. I am sad that there has not been a Mac version in a very long time, but I can run WP in my Parallels Windows on my iMac.

I gave up on PS and their silly subscription model long ago and use a UK program called Affinity, which is full-fledged suite of image apps. A lot cheaper and more user--friendly as well. 

5 hours ago, boom3 said:

I despise Word but I have to use it at work. I use WordPerfect for all my literary and personal writing, as do many writers and journalists. I am sad that there has not been a Mac version in a very long time, but I can run WP in my Parallels Windows on my iMac.

I gave up on PS and their silly subscription model long ago and use a UK program called Affinity, which is full-fledged suite of image apps. A lot cheaper and more user--friendly as well. 

All the subscription models will make me switch to all open source software.

Affinity is pretty nice. I've forced myself to learn GIMP, but after using PS and some other, it's still a bit user surly.

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

That's not natural coloring is it?

& my caffeine has worn off, I'm seeing coffee beans towards the right;)

Not completely natural but pretty close. Here is an version that hasnt been computer enhanced. Still figuring out the computer thing for photography. I tend to "over do" it!

IMG_1449.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joshnich said:

Not completely natural but pretty close. Here is an version that hasnt been computer enhanced. Still figuring out the computer thing for photography. I tend to "over do" it!

IMG_1449.jpeg

I wouldn't say you overdid it in your processing of this image at all. It appears to me the contrast was reduced slightly for better definition. A technique I frequently use in Gimp. Color saturation and contrast, my two fav tools in PP.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, polizzio said:

I wouldn't say you overdid it in your processing of this image at all. It appears to me the contrast was reduced slightly for better definition. A technique I frequently use in Gimp. Color saturation and contrast, my two fav tools in PP.

I would say absolutely that it was overdone.

JJK

4 hours ago, polizzio said:

Thanks! Reducing the photo to under 2mbs does change the way the photo presents itself. And I was looking to give it that magical and not completely natural look. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...