Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

58 minutes ago, babadono said:

Is that a Catholic church?

I had to go back and look at the pic of the outside of the building to read the sign. It's an Episcopal church.

• Moderators

Mr @JL Sargent I know your not in Georgia but right next door.  I seen this in the news and it was quite a surprise, I did not think they could make it through the winter.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-officials-trying-stop-large-184645807.html

Georgia officials trying to stop large, invasive lizard that eats 'anything they want'

An invasive lizard that grows up to four-and-a-half feet long is causing concern for Georgia wildlife officials who are attempting to eradicate it from the state after years of sightings.

"They eat just about anything they want," said Georgia Department of Natural Resources Wildlife biologist John Jensen in a May 8 video about the Argentine black and white tegu.

While the lizards have not been a threat to humans and common household pets, Georgia officials say people should avoid leaving pet foods outside, as it can attract the lizard. They are not known for being aggressive towards humans, although sometimes they may chase people.

The reptiles grow large, reproduce fast and eat a wide variety of things, from fruit to eggs, birds and small mammals. Tegus pose a threat to native wildlife, including gopher tortoises, a candidate for Endangered Species Act listing. They have been documented using gopher tortoise burrows and eating tortoise eggs and the young.

Jensen said the DNR is setting traps for the reptiles and asking for sightings to be reported. But "if you're able to safely and humanely dispatch of the animal, we encourage that," Jensen said.

This marks the third year the lizards have been trapped in southern Georgia, the Orianne Society said in a Monday Facebook post. Tegus have been causing problems in Florida for years.

They are popular in the pet trade but trouble when released in the wild. In Georgia's Toombs and western Tattnall counties, the lizards have been spotted crossing dirt roads, have turned up on game cams and even gotten trapped in a farmer’s shop.

If tegus are reproducing in the wild, catching them early is crucial. Once established, as with Florida’s two known populations, the only effective response is trying to stem their numbers and spread.

15a096b185cf8c1aa996f38cf90e18cb.jpg

• Like 3

I was called out on a nasty HAZMAT incident in the northwest corner South Dakota over the weekend and an early morning storm rolled in really fast from the west that I thought looked pretty cool.  I don't know why the focus looks skewed but it is just cell phone shot.  Still using a Blackberry which may explain the weird focus - I'll call it artistic effect.

362378675_SouthDakotastorm.thumb.jpg.e5965f85b07a45ad3171006084c5f406.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, sputnik said:

I was called out on a nasty HAZMAT incident in the northwest corner South Dakota over the weekend and an early morning storm rolled in really fast from the west that I thought looked pretty cool.  I don't know why the focus looks skewed but it is just cell phone shot.  Still using a Blackberry which may explain the weird focus - I'll call it artistic effect.

362378675_SouthDakotastorm.thumb.jpg.e5965f85b07a45ad3171006084c5f406.jpg

I dig it , kinda similar conditions as this pic I took at Folly Beach SC . Incoming storm resembles a cresting tsunami .

IMG_0239.jpg

• Like 7