Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators
On 8/5/2020 at 11:07 AM, Marvel said:

Put in a 50 gal. pond thingy a couple weeks ago, added a water lily last saturday.

Tropical or hardy lily ?

They do like alot of fertilizer but you will not see any water if you fertilize it will fill the pot. 

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Tropical or hardy lily ?

They do like alot of fertilizer but you will not see any water if you fertilize it will fill the pot. 

This is tropical... the place we got it said it might survive our winter, but probably not. They have a tablet fertilizer/ nutrient to put down in the pot holding the lily. There arr other stems coming up, so we'll see. We put some smaller water hyacynths in, so they are starting to multiply.

4 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Now for some fishies.

Don't think we'll add any fish...

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Marvel said:

This is tropical... the place we got it said it might survive our winter, but probably not. They have a tablet fertilizer/ nutrient to put down in the pot holding the lily.

Good it's tropical, they bloom much more than hardies. With fertilizer it will pretty much have a flower on it everyday after it get's to be a certain size. The flowers open and close for 3 days and die off, when it get;s going good there will be another flower, or two ready for the next day. A continuous cycle until the water get's well below 70 degrees. 

We grew them commercially for years, the fertilizer tablets would get expensive so for a while I switched to tree stakes breaking them into 2-3 pieces, still was expensive so i switched to regular 13-13-13 putting it under the roots, they love fertilizer. 

As far as dying in the winter, I'm not sure about where you live, here they go dormant in the winter and I keep the ponds filled when it's going to get really cold (teens) and being under the water they do fine. We have 9 ponds in the yard, roughly 20' wide and 40' long for growing. I took a break for the last few years because of a crawfish problem but now know how to control them so I need to restart, next summer I guess. There are night bloomers and day bloomers, the 3 night bloomers are either red, pink or white, day bloomers can be other colors also. Day bloomers open in the am and close at night, opposite for night bloomers, if you use them for cut flowers they still open and close for 3 days before dying.

This is my favorite nightbloomer, it's called Antares (red). And my favorite daybloomer called Tina, (blue/purple) 

waterlillies (6).jpg

waterlillies (4).jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Marvel said:

Don't think we'll add any fish...

With 50 gallons you will never see the fish, the Lillie will cover the water when the fertilizer get's to it. This is one plant on fertilizer, each leaf is about 12" to give you an idea of the size. 

waterlillies (21).jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dtel said:

Good it's tropical, they bloom much more than hardies. With fertilizer it will pretty much have a flower on it everyday after it get's to be a certain size. The flowers open and close for 3 days and die off, when it get;s going good there will be another flower, or two ready for the next day. A continuous cycle until the water get's well below 70 degrees. 

We grew them commercially for years, the fertilizer tablets would get expensive so for a while I switched to tree stakes breaking them into 2-3 pieces, still was expensive so i switched to regular 13-13-13 putting it under the roots, they love fertilizer. 

As far as dying in the winter, I'm not sure about where you live, here they go dormant in the winter and I keep the ponds filled when it's going to get really cold (teens) and being under the water they do fine. We have 9 ponds in the yard, roughly 20' wide and 40' long for growing. I took a break for the last few years because of a crawfish problem but now know how to control them so I need to restart, next summer I guess. There are night bloomers and day bloomers, the 3 night bloomers are either red, pink or white, day bloomers can be other colors also. Day bloomers open in the am and close at night, opposite for night bloomers, if you use them for cut flowers they still open and close for 3 days before dying.

This is my favorite nightbloomer, it's called Antares (red). And my favorite daybloomer called Tina, (blue/purple) 

waterlillies (6).jpg

waterlillies (4).jpg

very vivid colors.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A mixed pond, just left to grow. You can see it  needs a little 7 dust or something mild, bugs are eating holes in the leaves. In this pic there not really on furtilizer or you  would see little or no water.

I put this pic so you could see leaves are also different on different plants, some heavily variegated/modeled some just a little  and some just green and no markings and the edge of the leaf are different.

waterlillies (17).jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful! Should have asked you before we jumped into this, but it's small.  It's mostly it the ground. With all the water you have, the temps probably won't drop much. We're just south of Chattanooga, so the winters aren't too cold, but we'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I see you cannot grow water hyacynths in Mississippi... they are legal here in Georgia and Tennessee, though.

I didn't know that, maby because the clog waterways ? They used to spray to kill them off when they completely covered waterways.

At one time we also grew bog plants, we mostly sold everything to feed and or garden stores who sold pond stuff. One of my favorite bog plants are Iris and Egyptian Papyrus.

We now have a few Papyrus left in the back bog/pond that runs across the back border of the property. 

This is the top of a Papyrus, it's just a stem 6'-7' to below the waterline, they grow in clumps. If the roots were above the waterline they would die off during winter. It's the type of plant they made Egyptian paper out of and what some say the basket Moses was found floating in was made from. The stem toward the bottom is kind of a triangle shape, very tough and somewhat hollow.

yard (6)-1.jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Maybe that would give the gators too much cover?

They don't seem to care if they have cover, for the most part they are not scared of people, don't seem to be, not the bigger ones anyway. They tend to come toward people it seems, I don't know why I don't stick around. There in any freshwater around, we have had a few 4 I think over the last 10 years in the pond in the backyard, but all under 4'. When we built the pond I never thought that would happen. But I read that for a couple months during breeding season they move from pond to pond, it was quite the surprise, I was cutting grass and it was swimming along with me about 35' away.

I removed them since sometimes the grand kids and I swim there. They were small but still I would rather be safe, somewhat. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1