Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

I was surprised by one near a pond early in the morning one time soon after I moved down to FL. Even a four footer has a good sized mouth. The water down there is just black in most places devoid of light, up here it's mostly muddy. Towards the sandhills sometimes clear as glass (Lake Waccamaw).

So besides the time of day it just popped in my head that anything that could give them cover is bad. Found one in my street in Cocoa about two feet long and man he was feisty but so fascinating I had to mess with him for a little while until I thought better be wary of mama and let it be!

Cats are safer to mess with and entirely fun.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Cats are safer to mess with and entirely fun.

Funny you said cats, we knew a jackass that used baby cats to catch alligators. A big hook, not through the cat but taped to the side of the cat and hung like a normal alligator hook would be hung a few feet above the water, the cat would not be happy and make noise which would attract the alligators. When people found out what he was doing it did not take long for him to be caught. The higher the hook from the water the better chance of not catching the small ones, even without cats. :huh:

Well he was caught, he was given a choice, Federal prison for life or work for the Wildlife & Fisheries for the rest of his life at starting pay training agents and giving seminars wherever they told him. He now works for the Wildlife and Fisheries.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Funny you said cats, we knew a jackass that used baby cats to catch alligators. A big hook, not through the cat but taped to the side of the cat and hung like a normal alligator hook would be hung a few feet above the water, the cat would not be happy and make noise which would attract the alligators. When people found out what he was doing it did not take long for him to be caught. The higher the hook from the water the better chance of not catching the small ones, even without cats. :huh:

Well he was caught, he was given a choice, Federal prison for life or work for the Wildlife & Fisheries for the rest of his life at starting pay training agents and giving seminars wherever they told him. He now works for the Wildlife and Fisheries.

he's lucky he's not in our neck of the woods ,  it would not have been a cat  dangling from the hook -----

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

That's awful @dtel glad he got caught and had to pay the consequences.

That judge was a tough one and he knew what he was doing!!

I think he got off light, they should wear him out with BS jobs and he complains cut his pay or put him in jail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

he's lucky he's not in our neck of the woods ,  it would not have been a cat  dangling from the hook -----

I think he got lucky because it was federal and he got caught and did not have to deal with any locals. Even if you hate cats that;s just not right.

• Like 1

Seems that if the Wildlife & Fisheries needed help and if the perp could be held to a standard that's good.

Darn @dirtmudd did you tick off a bluejay!

Be careful out there.

*@INDY K the tile in your pool looks great, like a mosaic 

Oh & welcome to the forums!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Indy K, is that a liner pool, either way it looks good.

If that waterway was down here I wouldn't be in a kayak.  Quit going in freshwater with a prorogue for the same reason, might not be able to out paddle a alligator.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Indy K, is that a liner pool, either way it looks good.

If that waterway was down here I wouldn't be in a kayak.  Quit going in freshwater with a prorogue for the same reason, might not be able to out paddle a alligator.

Hell patriot the worse thing you could do there is have your line pulled by a Gar they have a combination of shark and alligator teeth, or pull in a body.... We been hitting a lot of the larger creeks here that run through the city. It’s been a good season on the creeks, ponds and lakes, I got  a 3.5 lb small mouth and a 5lb large mouth, on the creek that day. There’s something sweet catching keepers this size on a creek, you have to know where and what to use to have the best time fishing large, small creeks and rivers.

That was a vinyl liner a 33x44 that customer tried to stick me with his mesh cover sale and installation around 4500.00 I got 5000.00 out of him in court by the time it was all over with. My lawyer only charges 500$ for small claims. Being im an LLC I have to have representation. I been doing liners and pool service for a long time with a lm absolute flawless record. 

Just finished this one here a 26x40

D5F1443E-1740-4CE6-99C4-7C0C3C711EBC.jpeg.556c8fd95c5cdc37534c7cb7588857ce.jpeg373B1326-003A-463C-AD5A-80E22B54D122.jpeg.837a82b5214b77185ef0dc5f2319e1bb.jpeg

Edited by INDY K
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Good looking pools, that first pic when empty you can really see how well that liner fits, looks good.

I have caught many gar, mostly by accident, that is one fighting fish, very strong for there size and they can get very big. They could pull that kayak around like nothing.  There also pretty mean, do you have alligator gar there,(not sure where there is) looks just like a regular gar but has a long flat mouth and teeth just like a alligator.

Gar are not your average fish, you can throw one on land and it will still be fully alive an hour later. One time when trawling for shrimp we caught 3 each at least 4' long in one drag, it stopped the boat from moving, we thought we got hung up on something. Until we picked up the net then the fight was on to try and get them out the net then the boat, they kind of beat us up just trying to git rid of them. I have eaten them before but hope to never have to deal with them again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1