Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

Yes but that was a kayak in his picture, but both are fun.

With a kayak I know I'm going to get wet and I wouldn't go in winter like when duck hunting. We have a really nice place to kayak, we take the 4-6 hour float and stop on beaches which makes it longer. Weekends are much less crowded but we usually have our own group. http://okatoma.com/

kayaking 8 2014-25.JPG

kayaking 8 2014-18.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

It is fun, cool water, nice beaches, just lightly paddle and take a break, well until a waterfall then you have to direct yourself to the right spot. First couple times we got a canoe, never again after getting kayaks, canoes suck.

I used to put my life jacket behind me to have a cushion, well until once going over a waterfall and being sucked down. I came up about 100' away and was on my last couple of seconds of holding my breath. I now wear the life jacket every time, thought it was over. When under the water with the current from the fall I couldn't even tell which way was up to the surface. the fall was only a few feet but it was alot of water flowing.

The disgusting part is all the women in tiny bathing suits, it's terrible, hard to get that picture out of your head. :huh:

• Like 1

yeah, wear that PFD -- I've nearly drowned twice in my life and would have if someone hadn't been there to pull me to safety.  one time I was just too exhausted from swimming so far that I couldn't make it to shore.  there comes a time when your body just says "Enough!" Strangely, I had made to about 20 yards from shore when my body quit.  there was someone on the shore and I managed to yell and wave my arms -- he came out and got me. I just had nothing left in the tank and as much as I wanted to make it, my body said "no more."

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I just had nothing left in the tank and as much as I wanted to make it, my body said "no more."

Exactly, I was completely worn out,  there was a fallen tree out in the water where I came up, I held onto it and pulled myself to shore by some rocks, I could barely hold onto a rock when I got to shore. It is amazing how long you can hold your breath and how much you can move or do when you think it's your only chance, and it was my only chance.

• Like 1

I'll see if anyone can guess where this was taken.  (was around 1982)

In the foliage picture is my father.  Though I don't recall exactly what he was looking at, it was probably similar to the valley picture as we were on a trail that went down pretty steep.

Not a great picture but the picture with the buildings might show exactly where we are but it's not the traditional view that would give it away.  

I was always tickled with the one with my dad surrounded/framed with the leaves.

Dad 1.jpg

Dad.jpg

Dad 3.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

PENHA HILLMACAU-       web pic

large_GettyImages-484397447.jpg?width=62

that's wrong... you can't get that view from Penha Hill. It's about 2.5 miles off to the right. Beautiful little church on the top of the hill.

And the Venitian later at night... my pic 😉

macau_venitian.jpg

• Like 4

THE  must see in Macau  for me  anyways  is the Memorial  House of Dr Sun Yat-sen  ,  he is considered as the Father of the Nation in China and Taiwan  -

--it is a small museum with Antiques of the era -

-web pic -

Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial House in Macau

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Bruce -- have you been inside The Venetian?  I'll bet it's spectacular.

here is a bit more about the PENHA HILL enclave ------which englobes the Penha hill and the old Church  and  the entire  district of 19th Century buildings

large_Screen-Shot-2018-09-20-at-2.26.24-

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/penha-hill-an-exclusive-old-money-enclave-in-the-heart-of-macau-109222

36 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Bruce , sorry for intruding -----did You and your Wife visit the Sun Yat- sen Memorial house --

No, we did not... We spent about three days on the three islands. Stayed in the Best Western on Taipa, rode the bus over to the main island. Nice hotel and it was cheap, not at all like the BW hotels here.

17 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

great photo  -the  sky is very nice in the background ---------must have been a  good camera

Actually, it was a Canon Powershot, a 5 megapixel. Easy to carry around.