Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators
On 10/20/2020 at 4:33 PM, billybob said:

Have seen moccasins solid brown

Yes I have also, was bit once cleaning out my aunts house after a storm. It was a baby, about the size of a pencil, it got me on the finger. I kept squeezing blood out of the bite to try to push out the poison. Decided to go to the hospital to be safe but there was a long line outside and never waited. I kept squeezing and eventually the burning feeling went away, never had a problem with it. I think it never got me very well or it would not have went so well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dtel said:

Yes I have also, was bit once cleaning out my aunts house after a storm. It was a baby, about the size of a pencil, it got me on the finger. I kept squeezing blood out of the bite to try to push out the poison. Decided to go to the hospital to be safe but there was a long line outside and never waited. I kept squeezing and eventually the burning feeling went away, never had a problem with it. I think it never got me very well or it would not have went so well.  

I hear you. Remember here. There were baby blacks in the ditch water, fingerlings, right by the mailbox. Plenty of frights. Went back inside. That was good thinking. To say the least. Looking for meteor shower...

Cheers

• Like 2

On 10/21/2020 at 2:15 AM, mustang_flht said:

Next to my house, Roman bridge "Le Pont du Gard" : aqueduct which supplied the baths and water of the city of Nîmes, Gard France. It is almost 2000 years old, The stones are placed one on top of the other without cement because at the time there was none.. In the middle of the 18th century, a road bridge was attached to the first floor to transport goods.

02ll.jpg

Just awesome. Amazing what slave labor can do.

• Like 2

It was mostly Roman military, not slaves, and Roman engineers.  Quite frankly, the Romans would not have trusted the skills of "slaves."   BTW, they did have cement, they basically invented it, but if construction was without it it may well have been because the materials were not available at the location.  I can just imagine 2000 years from now when the Hoover Dam is looked at---wow look what they did with slave (wage) labor...just like the railroads...

If you want something done right...you do it yourself, you don't rely on slave labor.  Look at it this way---Chinese goods especially in certain areas are horrible pieces of crap.  Why?  Cheap, basically slave labor. Nonexistent quality control.   The Romans understood quality control, just like we did at one time.

• Like 2

There was a famous CEO, who when basically paraphrased, said you know, if only we didn't have to pay our employees we could make a ton of money.  We of course did not involve the people who actually did the work.   Nice mentality, and an object lesson for the loss of good jobs.  But by all means lets praise how slavery accomplishes great things, just look how that turned out for us.

• Like 1

There weren't slaves in the Roman Empire? C'mon WTF? you talkin' bout. And they weren't used to build the great structures that still stand to this day? And aliens built the great pyramids of Egypt.

"If a man(Roman soldier) asks you to carry his pack one mile carry it for two".

• Like 2

17 hours ago, babadono said:

There weren't slaves in the Roman Empire? C'mon WTF? you talkin' bout. And they weren't used to build the great structures that still stand to this day? And aliens built the great pyramids of Egypt.

There definitely were slaves.  But they were not the main force of those great structures.  And it was the army that built those roads that have lasted for thousands of years.  And a lot was built before the "empire."  You may recall a few hundred years when it was a republic...still longer than we have been one.

The gist of what I am saying is that it is more accurate to say "look what can be accomplished when man sets his mind to it."  We have sent, landed, and brought men back from the moon.  Did slave labor accomplish that?  It's not that slavery doesn't exist, it is just that it is not a prerequisite to building amazing things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Lost one of our silkie chickens to a predator today. Such is life. It flew off when I got close for pictures, but we'll let it keep the kill so it's not a total waste. They're a protected bird, so all I can do is keep the chickens up for a few days and hope it moves on for a bit.

DSCF6674

DSCF6676

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

There definitely were slaves.  But they were not the main force of those great structures.  And it was the army that built those roads that have lasted for thousands of years.  And a lot was built before the "empire."  You may recall a few hundred years when it was a republic...still longer than we have been one.

The gist of what I am saying is that it is more accurate to say "look what can be accomplished when man sets his mind to it."  We have sent, landed, and brought men back from the moon.  Did slave labor accomplish that?  It's not that slavery doesn't exist, it is just that it is not a prerequisite to building amazing things.

what have the romans ever done for us?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/23/2020 at 11:18 PM, babadono said:

Think they called them servants...