Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

The capabilities of this new Leica, especially, in low light, amaze me.  I was thinking that the fixed 28mm lens would be limiting but the image quality exceeds anything I’ve shot with my Nikon D850.  First shot is a full frame image taken through our den window of an owl that was perched on a snag after sunset last evening - 3200 ISO f/1.7 at 1/50th sec hand held.  The second photo is a tight-tight crop of the owl that still makes a hopefully interesting image, even with the noise.
 C62CE35C-8F74-429F-9DFB-1B187E34EC9D.thumb.jpeg.fedbe7ccf21a898cbc3f60155e561328.jpeg

ED439B82-A2EC-44B6-A437-0088A7D9126A.jpeg.4b3de6e02c2c54455d78c27b28325552.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sputnik said:

I never thought anything could be better than my ‘96 De Rosa Primato or mid-2000’s Serotta Ottrott (CF/Ti frame) but I gotta admit that the ride on this bike is sublime.  

I know what you mean.  I’ve never ridden a bike with a better, more lively, ride.

A friend bought a new Schwinn World Voyager (Japanese made with Shimano components) at the same time I bought my bike.  At first, he questioned that my bike could be twice as nice to justify twice the price, until he rode it.  After riding it, he frequently asked to trade on our long rides over the rural roads surrounding East Lansing, MI.

OBTW, that Leica is most impressive.  I could not help but exclaim, “Holy S**t” when I Googled “Leica Q2 Monochrom,” and saw the prices.  That is a very serious camera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I know what you mean.  I’ve never ridden a bike with a better, more lively, ride.

A friend bought a new Schwinn World Voyager (Japanese made with Shimano components) at the same time I bought my bike.  At first, he questioned that my bike could be twice as nice to justify twice the price, until he rode it.  After riding it, he frequently asked to trade on our long rides over the rural roads surrounding East Lansing, MI.

OBTW, that Leica is most impressive.  I could not help but exclaim, “Holy S**t” when I Googled “Leica Q2 Monochrom,” and saw the prices.  That is a very serious camera.

Yeah, the Leica was expensive (especially for a B&W point and shoot camera with no zoom) but photo documentation is important in my work and I can easily justify it as business equipment.  One could pay much more for just one Leica M lens so I can think of this as buying a nice lens with an attached camera body. 

There's nothing in the bike world as sexy as a good vintage Italian steel frame.  I think you can still find that quality in a modern bike but you gotta go to a custom frame maker and even then, I don't think you'd find anything with the soul of a vintage Italian race bike.  I have a nephew that lives in Bloomington, Indiana so I hope to take the Masi there sometime to ride around in the "Breaking Away" movie scenery.  BTW Neil, your bike looks well ridden judging from the Cinelli saddle but very well maintained looking at the rest of it.

Another bit of Italian goodness

10DeRosaPrimato_zpsb75e39ac.jpg.cc75e81c9928253e4f6529b3bf23e433.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sputnik said:

BTW Neil, your bike looks well ridden judging from the Cinelli saddle but very well maintained looking at the rest of it.

That is the original Cinelli saddle.  That saddle is now very hard on my 72 year-old butt.  Each season it seems to take longer to get “comfortable” on that saddle.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

That is the original Cinelli saddle.  That saddle is now very hard on my 72 year-old butt.  Each season it seems to take longer to get “comfortable” on that saddle.

Don't get rid of it.  Those old Cinelli Unicanitor saddles are very desirable.  I pulled the Cinelli saddle off of the Masi to save and mounted a Brooks on it.  Still looking for a nice buffalo Unicanitor though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Sputnik, you may have mentioned it before, but what do you do?

When I'm not chasing after bawdy sheep, I'm a geologist/engineer.  My company does environmental investigation/clean-up and emergency spill response.  I'm also on our volunteer fire department and there are some good photo ops there too.  This is a good one - semi ran off the freeway and onto the RR tracks above a stream embankment trapping the driver as a train was coming down the grade.  The train had to do a full-on emergency stop and this is how close it came to the truck.

1852578842_TruckwreckwTrain.JPG.9a67909c01a1277af5ce9e0ef466f4e3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, sputnik said:

Another bit of Italian goodness

10DeRosaPrimato_zpsb75e39ac.jpg.cc75e81c9928253e4f6529b3bf23e433.jpg

Very nice bike.

I don't have anything as fancy as that.

Few years ago I found a fixed bike built around a frame from Swiss manufacturer by the name of Titan i na local bike shop. Brand new Columbus Aelle frame from 1990s, never used with original chrome fork.

The lugs have a DeRosa heart marks. It is a big frame so Aelle is good for me, stronger than heavily butted tubes.

Frame geometry is pretty sharp so the bike is very responsive.

• Like 4

On 2/20/2021 at 9:48 AM, JL Sargent said:

It's baseball season again! That's my boy slinging it on the bump.

V18 best.JPG

Great pic. I love baseball. Played for 12 years. 20 months ago I had a complete shoulder rebuild on my throwing arm. Doc said to stay away from really throwing anything for 12-18 months. I recently joined a gym and have been throwing a basketball actually (when nobody's around) and I'm thrilled that is seems to be working great...still have the aim 😄 and the strength is building also. I went outside earlier and threw snowballs for about an hour, felt wonderful. Half court shot, throwing a basketball......3 out of 10.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

. Half court shot, throwing a basketball......3 out of 10.

.300 average ... in baseball that would make you an all-star.

Other than bowling, I was the best at baseball. Started off at shortstop; but ended up at second base.  Some good sports memories for sure. Hitting homers with my Reggie Jackson bat (actually went five for five with that bat until it broke -- yeah, I was one of those that used a wood bat and not aluminum. I regret that now, probably would have had more homers using an aluminum).  I remember one time coming to bat and the opposing coach yelling for his outfielders to back up yelling "he can hit."  Made me feel so good that I've not forgotten it. 

other than sticking with a wood bat, another sport regret was being on the losing end of a no-hitter.  Midway through the game, I was walked. I was the only baserunner for my team that entire game. stole second, throw went to center and I advanced the third.  No outs, me on third, we're losing 1-0.  Passed ball and I started for home and the third base coach is yelling for me to stop -- I did.  I still wonder if I would have made it.  we lost the game 1-0.  I remember being selected to the all-star team; but my family was going on vacation and I had to go with them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

.300 average ... in baseball that would make you an all-star.

Other than bowling, I was the best at baseball. Started off at shortstop; but ended up at second base.  Some good sports memories for sure. Hitting homers with my Reggie Jackson bat (actually went five for five with that bat until it broke -- yeah, I was one of those that used a wood bat and not aluminum. I regret that now, probably would have had more homers using an aluminum).  I remember one time coming to bat and the opposing coach yelling for his outfielders to back up yelling "he can hit."  Made me feel so good that I've not forgotten it. 

other than sticking with a wood bat, another sport regret was being on the losing end of a no-hitter.  Midway through the game, I was walked. I was the only baserunner for my team that entire game. stole second, throw went to center and I advanced the third.  No outs, me on third, we're losing 1-0.  Passed ball and I started for home and the third base coach is yelling for me to stop -- I did.  I still wonder if I would have made it.  we lost the game 1-0.  I remember being selected to the all-star team; but my family was going on vacation and I had to go with them. 

That's a bummer. The Allstar game is more important than a vacation. 

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

Played two games yesterday. Behind the plate for both games. Can you tell he loves it? :) We iced that arm down last night.

V9.JPG

Yea. he likes it. Those are the only two positions I ever played....pitcher, or catcher. 

• Like 4