Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

4 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

No, I don't think so. There are no chop marks present. It's a hand saw through and through.

that could just be a LOG... once it's sitting down, it's easier to crosscut it. to chop it down I think they did a 45º and a 90º cut on the front then cut thru the back.

c4ec5abf-7550-45a4-96fa-a3acc1726789_1.0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

that could just be a LOG... once it's sitting down, it's easier to crosscut it. to chop it down I think they did a 45º and a 90º cut on the front then cut thru the back.

c4ec5abf-7550-45a4-96fa-a3acc1726789_1.0

I wish they'd have known what they were doing. Sad to have lost all those great old trees.

• Like 2

I can vouch for the longevity of redwood. The bugs avoid it like the plague.  I pulled out some 4 x 4 redwood posts from my Ohio yard that were buried for almost 50 years to relocate them and they were pristine clean with no paint on them. I just stared at them in disbelief  and wonderment then put them back in the ground in another spot.

JJK

• Like 1

I think I know why they cut so many of them down, and I do understand your point @geezin' Too many resources that could have been more valuable to our lives if left intact have been squandered. That first picture where that long saw appears buckled halfway up? It's been around and was in my 1969 or `70 World Book Encyclopedia set santa brought me.

Imagine how many millions of these there were in backyards across the country by the mid 70s!

This one might be made a little upscale and is $1k but I think sears had them for forty bucks back when they were reputable.

redwood.jpg

• Like 2