Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Gotta agree there but I'm leanin toward the wagons with a bit of a tighter crop.  Make the eye follow all the confusion or the wagon's and his use of the thirds rule works great.  Just gimme a lil bit more of that distant wagon.  That's debatable though imo.  The confusion could actually help tell the story but on the other hand some might say i don't see the wagon & I wanna.  The chair/shadow shots are over-rated and they're all over the place showing that shadow look.  Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

I don't see a third wagon ! You mean the one on the right? 

Looks like @sputnik was just having fun with B&W to these untrained eyes. Since I framed stuff from calendars to get cheap art to hang I think those would give Ansel a run for his $ if he did close-ups instead of scenic.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DizRotus said:

@sputnikI assume you didn’t use that camera to order a pizza.

That’s right. I still use my Blackberry (yes, Blackberry) for snapshots that I can also use to order pizza but I’m committing to learning to use this Leica Q2 Monochrom that I picked up almost a year ago.  It is strictly a B&W camera, 47MP with a fixed 28mm f1.7 lens.  Incredible resolution, not having a sensor color filter array.  I thought that a fixed focal length would be limiting but I’m finding just the opposite - it’s great not having to carry around a bunch of gear except for a set of filters.  I still have many pounds of decent Nikon gear for color and telephoto shots but I’m less inspired to lug around a huge camera bag anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Gotta agree there but I'm leanin toward the wagons with a bit of a tighter crop.  Make the eye follow all the confusion or the wagon's and his use of the thirds rule works great.  Just gimme a lil bit more of that distant wagon.  That's debatable though imo.  The confusion could actually help tell the story but on the other hand some might say i don't see the wagon & I wanna.  The chair/shadow shots are over-rated and they're all over the place showing that shadow look.  Just my thoughts.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.  I did a closer crop and I think it helps but I should have worked on getting some close detail.

5F736B65-2CD1-4386-AE1A-A9566B337D56.jpeg

The camera’s resolution allows for some extreme cropping and here’s a tight crop on some building detail.

237DA397-E332-4555-9CA9-3CE12A54509F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

would give Ansel a run for his $

mmmmm  OK...  The new Leica?  Oh, the times they are a changin...  :)  I was only talking about two wagons I think John.  I picked up two Ansel prints matted and framed @ a local auction in a box of junk for 3 bucks.  Some old dentist croaked and had a ton of high dollar furniture n stuff.  Everyone fought over his eclectic high dollar stuff and no one caught the prints.  Small and wound up in a dollar box.  hahaha  Talk about a STEAL!  Pulled the paper off the back and they were certified and signed by him.   Hahaha!  Gotcha!  :)

@sputnik crop on the wagons nailed it and turned it into a great shot.

5F736B65-2CD1-4386-AE1A-A9566B337D56.jpeg

Look at the wagons or the clouds and the grid lines work.  Just tight enough, the clouds upper left, down to the wagon then right for the second wagon and upper right for the clear sky.  Just wherever the eye starts to truly see it works.  I thought you were using that new Leica you got when I saw them.  Pretty darn nice but I'm too old to justify going into digital.  You know what Nikon gear I have in my bag and my right shoulder is still an inch lower than my left from luggin junk.  Think about the detail you would have in the capture had you shot that the first time.  Less loss of it when you cropped again.  THEN ya got a hanger.

@billybob  I'm not really qualified to critique his for from a "Professional" stand point but photography is subjective just as anything is.  EVERYone sees, reads, loves something different.  Just an opinion and you know what they're like.  Everyone has one...  lol

I like the second window shot and to me it doesn't really look staged.  Sure it could be but it's on you if you want to stage it.  I NEVER staged anything I shot unless it was a grip n grin or the usual shot you had to stage.  You can do anything you like when you shoot but others who might follow your work will see it down the road.  Competition prints are for the most part staged, shot and re-shot.  I was shooting for the News Media crap @ the state AP level.  Screw that stuff imo.  It is what it is.  lol

The three shots are nice with the sky but I'd want more detail in the foreground.  Only you know if you cropped them.  I totally crop everything before I pull the trigger if I'm looking for a keeper.  That's on you though.

The other two?  Quit it my fingers are getting tired from typing.  Ok, but you were right in your comment.  They need Festus, Miss Kitty, Doc and Marshall Dillon in them before I'll give you a double thumbs up.  😂

Beautiful camera and very nice work.  Kudo's.  

@JL Sargentand a Happy Halloween to you too brother!  That's hilarious!!!  Classy too!   😂

Where's @ClaudeJ1he's pulled the trigger a couple times.  😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave1291 said:

Where's @ClaudeJ1he's pulled the trigger a couple times.  😂

In 1998, I sold about 150,000 prints of kids with Santa at 5 local malls with 63 part time employees to run it. Only got about $2.79 apiece for them (adjusted for inflation). My 5 Kodak digital cameras, in today's dollars cost $18,000 each with no card or lenses, and they had to be tethered to a PC Computer with 800x600 small CRT monitor that cost $1,400. A PMCIA 105 Megabyte spinning drive was about $900 in today's money. If would not even hold ONE picture from my Sony Mirrorless Camera today!!!

Most people never knew what this photo crap cost back then because according to Kodak, I was the first in michigan to go "digital." In fact, if any of our modern Solid State memory cards (SanDisk was my first) had eve EXISTED back then, a 64 Gigabyte SD card would have been about $2,000,000.

Now we take frikkin' iPhones for granted!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

@DizRotusI couldn't believe it when I saw them in that box.  I went into stupid mode immediately, which is easy for me to do.  :)  Aspen trees and that moon rise over Mexico or whatever it is.  I left the box and just took the prints.  hahaha

Great find. "Moonrise over Hernandez" sold for a record $61,000 at an auction while Ansel was still alive. His response: "Don't they know I'm not dead yet?"

One of my good friend, originally from Rochester, Michigan, now near L.A., California, used to TEACH with Ansel in Yosemite. He spent quite a bit of time at his house in Carmel. He was also West Coast Rep. for Sinar/Braun. I converted him to Digital Output when I sold him a scanner and Epson printer with Carbon Pigment inks about 20 years ago, and he still calls me for advice on Cameras. I guess being Technical Editor (part time) of 4 different Pro Photo Magazines for 20 years did not hurt my career at all.

Obviously, my friend knew Ansel very well. He told me that Ansel knew that the industry would abandon film someday and he was sorry that he would not live to see it. As an aside, his 8x10 enlarger and all darkroom equipment is in storage but he can't find the gumption to let it go, even though he has not used it in about 20 years.

• Like 2