Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

10 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Oh yeah, no.  I love the cold, I do.  But I'd go to Colorado yesterday.   Never NY. Give you props 

NY has very high wages for your type of work and the Benefits are through the roof  , the size of homes  are also much much bigger  in NYS versus CA , and the Crime is much , much lower  -

Youngest lives in Phoenix and that place is nuts. 5 days out there was enough for me.  75-80 everywhere, lines for everything everywhere.  I wanted the back seat but sucked it up like a real man in the front seat.  Buckled up & helmet on watching all the scenery go flying by.  I was glad to get back to Duckburg!  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RandyH said:

NY has very high wages for your type of work and the Benefits are through the roof  , the size of homes  are also much much bigger  in NYS versus CA , and the Crime is much , much lower  -

Yes to some of what you said, No way the crime is lower.  No way.  I live by the beach.  No way I could afford to live in a safe area in NY.  so Brooklyn, queens and so on are safe? You have yours, we have ours... 

https://moneyinc.com/worst-neighborhoods-nyc/

• Like 1

Just now, RandyH said:

Wow ,  now that's cool ,  that's the big ticket in CA , the beautiful beaches 

Torrance, CA. If I went to NY, how do yall say it?  Neuwork, it would cost me 10x the price to get close. What's the island off of New York? The private one, super bougie? I wouldn't pay 5k per month to live amongst. The struggle is worse than where I am.  The struggle where I am is bad enough... 

FL & TX are where to be now-a-days for business, taxes, health and cost of living. In the 90s my income went up 20 + % just from reduced taxation. Not sure how long it will hold true though. Both kinds of coyotes came to CLT the last couple of decades. Some folks in the "proper" zip codes had their precious coiffured pets out overnight unattended and would wake to evidence of malfeasance.

Now if we could get the weatherman to get back to his job instead of doing dc crap. Ever seen two hours of 
"Heavy Rain" look like this?

It ain't pretty here but it's shelter for now.

PXL-20220116-104852794.jpg

Got up at 2 to hit the head and man that rain was loud on the windows on the e se side!

• Like 3

My wife has a 12 hr shift... 8-8 today. I'm driving... We have had steady rain overnight and it's supposed to be snow when I pick her up tonight. She's done well learning to drive over the past 10 years but driving in bad weather makes her nervous.

• Like 2

I get that, and that's what made me decide when I was 16 with the very light in the rear Charger to be slower and steady. I would look ahead and actually run stop signs and red lights on the way to work if I could to keep from getting stuck! Don't recommend that to anyone incapable of being cognizant of the particular intersection and cops around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

I get that, and that's what made me decide when I was 16 with the very light in the rear Charger to be slower and steady. I would look ahead and actually run stop signs and red lights on the way to work if I could to keep from getting stuck! Don't recommend that to anyone incapable of being cognizant of the particular intersection and cops around.

During years of riding and driving fast, I found that certain offences might get a warning, because you might be able to sort of justify it, like speeding in certain places at certain times, mainly.  However, I never did anything that was totally unjustifiable, that there was never an excuse for, like running a red light or a stop sign, or speeding in a school zone, or anything else like that.  Attempting to explain away things like that would have felt so phoney and ludicrous that I would just not do those things, and therefore never put myself in that position.

• Like 2

Having done most of my first 30 years of driving in the upper midwest, the were some times where what John did could make sense. Had plenty of places where if you stopped, you weren't going to get started again.

Drivers in this area around Chattanooga have become noticeably crazier over the past 2 years. Crazier and more dangerous .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

For the record, I see A LOT of Coyotes as I wake at 0430 for work and I often leave for hikes at 0500.  I see plenty of mountain lions too that have never bothered me.... 

I’ve never seen a coyote, except in Roadrunner cartoons.  However, in the last twenty years, they’ve shown up in Toronto, and there seem to be quite a few in High Park in that city.

Here on Vancouver Island, I’ve never heard of any coyotes, but there are plenty in Vancouver, over on the mainland, mainly in Stanley Park.  Of course, some well-intentioned morons have fed some of the coyotes, so now they approach people and sometimes bite them or try to eat their small dogs.  They’ll also run after joggers and bite them.  A partial cull of the coyotes in Stanley Park has lessened the problems a bit.

This appears to me to be related to climate change, with the milder winters allowing the coyotes to extend their ranges further north.  That was also the reason the Mountain Pine Beetles were able to attack and kill so many trees a decade ago.  From the BC Government website:  “In the late 1990s, after several relatively warm winters, a massive outbreak resulted in the loss of millions of hectares of pine forest in British Columbia over the next 15 years.”

Previously/normally, the cold winters would kill off the beetles, so their numbers would be under control, but the warmer winters allowed them to overwinter and continue their attacks starting early the next year.

Millions of trees were killed, across whole mountainsides, mostly Lodgepole Pine, Western White Pine, and Ponderosa Pine.  The dead trees were easy to spot, since their needles turn first yellow, then red, and after two years they fall off, leaving a dead grey snag.  After the bugs had eaten their way across BC and into Alberta, they seemed to have actually run out of trees to infect, as much as 58% of one type of pine tree. That, plus some colder winters, seems to have stopped the outbreak by around 2010, but they were still seen as late as 2015.

As for why there seems to be more wildlife on the West Coast states and province (there’s just the one province on the coast, British Columbia), it’s likely because the Europeans arrived here much later than they did on the East Coast.  Jacques Cartier arrived on Turtle Island, as the Native peoples call North America, by sailing up the Saint Lawrence River, meeting Natives near present-day Quebec City in 1535, while Captain Cook came to Vancouver Island in 1778, followed by Captain Vancouver in 1792.

Less than 200 years ago, Victoria was just a wooden fort, so the Europeans arrived centuries later and in much lesser numbers than they did on the East Coast.  As a result, there are still so many cougars on Vancouver Island that seeing one in the suburbs of cities on the Island is not that rare.  There was a faceoff between a large pet dog and a cougar in Saanich only a few weeks ago, just a 15-20 minute drive north of Victoria.  Luckily, the dog’s owner was able to call him back before a fight started, and the cougar left the scene, with no injuries to the dog or the cougar.

Living in Quebec and Ontario, the only large wildlife I ever saw was a moose in the distance once, while I was at a hunting lodge, deep in the forest to the northwest of Quebec City.  After moving to Toronto, I was surprised to see raccoons and skunks living in the city.  The skunks appear around midnight, digging up lawns for insects to eat, which can make a mess, but I had one regularly walk by me at around 1 am, while I was working in the Toronto commuter train depot.  The little guy would come hiking along, following the train tracks, and would sometimes pass within 15 feet of me.  We didn’t bother each other, and that was fine with both of us.  

Vancouver Island is a whole different story, with lots of suburban deer. They’ll even graze on front lawns of buildings on busy streets, which still amazes me.  One time, no kidding, I actually saw a pair of deer wait for a green light, and then cross the street in the marked crosswalk.

That was in Oak Bay, an older suburb of Victoria, only a 10-minute drive from downtown.  They have so many deer in that part of town that they’re a traffic hazard, and a cull was done in an attempt to cut down on the number of collisions between deer and vehicles.  As well, there was a program to treat the females with some kind of contraceptive drug.  There have been fewer reports of collisions, so it looks like the programs have worked.  If only more deer could understand the traffic lights, it would be safer for everyone.

• Like 1

So the sun came out and radar has cleared. Just the other side of GA off I-85 seems like this berg gets winter stuff more than north of the NC line on the same highway. Half inch of sleet, then a little freezing rain and several hours of light snow.

If your southern you'll get the never outgrowing the excitement from a snow forecast. Older now, I prepped for losing power if that rain had come first... does make the neighborhood look better! They didn't make it to the church this morning.

PXL-20220116-183943999.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...