Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

1 hour ago, Fido said:

I was a professional glam photographer for many years! One of my many passions!

30074-10838604-IMG_0301_copy_jpg.jpg

30074-11020499-IMG_0599_copy_jpg.jpg

30074-11020616-IMG_2796dxocrop1_jpg.jpg

IMAGE_72.jpg

IMAGE_126.jpg

I admire your dedication.  Spending all day sweating over a hot model.  How tough it must be!

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Fido said:

Too funny. But- if someone doesn’t like my work they can ignore it instead of talking sh-t about it. I am very proud of my accomplishments.  I think the negative attitude by some members of this forum takes away from an otherwise great place to share with like minded enthusiasts. 

100% agreed 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fido said:

Too funny. But- if someone doesn’t like my work they can ignore it instead of talking sh-t about it. I am very proud of my accomplishments.  I think the negative attitude by some members of this forum takes away from an otherwise great place to share with like minded enthusiasts. 

As a former wedding photographer I learned a long time ago if you're not seeking (wanted or not) criticism don't display the work. Until they're paying the bill it means nothing.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 6:36 AM, geezin' said:

As a former wedding photographer I learned a long time ago if you're not seeking (wanted or not) criticism don't display the work. Until they're paying the bill it means nothing.

---------------

• Thanks 2

The term Karen should have been coined by a wedding photographer. F'in' crazy wimmenz.....and their mothers!!!! Unbelievably uncooperative and demanding. I walked out on a couple. There was a clause in the contract that the deposit could be forfeited should it become impossible to work for them. And they wondered why it cost so much. Wasn't enough in most cases. I fully understood that it was a huge life event and should I screw the pooch there were no retakes. And I was good at it. However it just became unbearable as time went on. I just began pricing myself out of the competition so I could walk away w/o issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To shoot good photos, never mind pro-quality on\es, you first have to find a subject that you're passionate about.  It may be landscapes, architecture, pets, or the landscape and architecture of women you'd like to pet.  For outstanding images, the passion must be there.

Was it HCB who likened photography to prostitution:  "First I did it for myself, then I did it for my friends, and finally I did it for money."?  He could have been joking, but it would be hard to tell.  He was a very serious-looking man.  The word looking has a double meaning here, in that he looked very seriously at everyday scenes and situations, choosing the decisive moment to press the shutter button, capturing the special moments in the everyday.

2 minutes ago, Islander said:

To shoot good photos, never mind pro-quality on\es, you first have to find a subject that you're passionate about.

At about age 25 I bought my first camera. Caught the bug, brought my camera with me everywhere I went, and got some really nice landscape shots.

About a decade later, I suddenly lost the passion. Never got it back. I miss it.

• Sad 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:08 AM, Islander said:

To shoot good photos, never mind pro-quality on\es, you first have to find a subject that you're passionate about.  It may be landscapes, architecture, pets, or the landscape and architecture of women you'd like to pet.  For outstanding images, the passion must be there.

Was it HCB who likened photography to prostitution:  "First I did it for myself, then I did it for my friends, and finally I did it for money."?  He could have been joking, but it would be hard to tell.  He was a very serious-looking man.  The word looking has a double meaning here, in that he looked very seriously at everyday scenes and situations, choosing the decisive moment to press the shutter button, capturing the special moments in the everyday.

--------------------------

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, geezin' said:

The term Karen should have been coined by a wedding photographer. F'in' crazy wimmenz.....and their mothers!!!! Unbelievably uncooperative and demanding. I walked out on a couple. There was a clause in the contract that the deposit could be forfeited should it become impossible to work for them. And they wondered why it cost so much. Wasn't enough in most cases. I fully understood that it was a huge life event and should I screw the pooch there were no retakes. And I was good at it. However it just became unbearable as time went on. I just began pricing myself out of the competition so I could walk away w/o issue.

I've heard that more than once from wedding photographers.  Shooting war photos can be less stressful.  And nowadays you can forget about selling an album of 8x10s to the happy couple and an album of 5x7s to each of the couple's parents (that used to mean two 5x7 books but thing are often more complicated today).  Those days are gone.  One local wedding shooter just puts an agreed-upon number of his best shots on a CD and gives that to them.  They can do what they want with the images, get them printed at Walmart if they like.  It's no longer his concern.

The main things are that he can still make a living from shooting, and that he still has a passion for shooting his own images, even after doing it all day.

11 minutes ago, Fido said:

I am passionate about beauty but I see that everywhere. My specialty was shooting with beautiful women but I am just as passionate about shooting landscape or anything that pleases my warped brain. See my website davidhickeyphotography.com — not a picture of a model anywhere there

I just checked that Web address.  It's blank, except for the words "There's nothing here, yet."  Is that your old site that you no longer use?

4 minutes ago, Fido said:

Thanks.  I don't know why the first site came up blank, since I copied and pasted the address, which looks very much like that one, directly from your post.  

Anyway, Wow!  You do some great work, but work is clearly the wrong word, since you do it for fun, or fulfilment, if you're talking with art snobs.  Thanks.  Your site is a pleasure to look through.