Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

That's where I've ended up. Canon 6d with a 35mm and 85mm to cover 90% of what I shoot (people). My 35mm is a mark 1 L lens, f/1.4 (has that magical micro-contrast) and my 85 was the L f/1.2, which I ultimately ditched because it was too heavy/slow/expensive. Now I'm rolling with a manual focus Samyang 85 f/1.4. Lighter, still slow, but much less expensive to have sitting in my bag since I mostly use the 35mm. I may pick up something longer in the future as my girls get more into sports and activities.. or I'll just adapt the scenes to the lenses I already have. :)

You can't get much faster than 1.4, I have been reading alot about faster lenses and was surprised at some of the things I read. It was reviews of many different lenses and "SOME'' of the expensive 1.2 lenses were rated worse than the 1.8. There were some that the picture quality was not so good below about 2- 2.5, so in some cases you were better getting a 1.8 which was really good from 2.5 and out for alot less money.

You have to constantly look at prices when trying to find a length and f stop you want to avoid sticker shock, one or two stops and it can go from $500 to $5000 very quickly, and your still on the cheap end in some cases. :blink: Not like this is anything new.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:
29 minutes ago, dtel said:

I didn't know they allowed camping at the museum.

I’m older than you think -- i was there when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

I am almost positive I am older than you and that happened 16 years before I was born.

Reminds me of a song.

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

I stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the Tsar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the gods they made

I shouted out,
"Who killed the Kennedys?"
When after all
It was you and me

Let me please introduce myself
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached Bombay

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby

Pleased to meet you
But what's confusing you
Is just the nature of my game

Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer

Cause I'm in need of some restraint
So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste

Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, um yeah
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, um yeah

But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, um mean it, get down
Woo, who
Oh yeah, get on down

Oh yeah
Oh yeah!
Tell me baby, what's my name
Tell me honey, can ya guess my name

I tell you one time, you're to blame
Ooo, who

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, dtel said:

I am almost positive I am older than you and that happened 16 years before I was born.

Reminds me of a song.

Please allow me to introduce myself
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

I stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the Tsar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the gods they made

I shouted out,
"Who killed the Kennedys?"
When after all
It was you and me

Let me please introduce myself
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached Bombay

Pleased to meet you
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby

Pleased to meet you
But what's confusing you
Is just the nature of my game

Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer

Cause I'm in need of some restraint
So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste

Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, um yeah
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, um yeah

But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, um mean it, get down
Woo, who
Oh yeah, get on down

Oh yeah
Oh yeah!
Tell me honey, can ya guess my name

I tell you one time, you're to blame
Ooo, who

I hope that's not your name....

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Elden, if my post reminds you of the devil, then i’d better throw this laptop in the trash!

Nope just the way you said you were somewhere at a time that was impossible at your age, and I like that song. :huh: Since this is about pictures here is an alligator from 2009 for no reason really. :unsure: 

buddy_(45).JPG

• Like 6

Was watching an old Star Trek episode last night on a non HD channel off Dish, kvme channel 20, shown on my projector screen. Here is a screen shot of Diana Muldaur playing Miranda.  She never fails to impress me with her display of mature feminine beauty.   

IMG_0094.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, dtel said:

You can't get much faster than 1.4, I have been reading alot about faster lenses and was surprised at some of the things I read. It was reviews of many different lenses and "SOME'' of the expensive 1.2 lenses were rated worse than the 1.8. There were some that the picture quality was not so good below about 2- 2.5, so in some cases you were better getting a 1.8 which was really good from 2.5 and out for alot less money.

You have to constantly look at prices when trying to find a length and f stop you want to avoid sticker shock, one or two stops and it can go from $500 to $5000 very quickly, and your still on the cheap end in some cases. :blink: Not like this is anything new.

Agreed on the cost aspect - it’s not a linear increase, but more exponential.  I run a full Canon setup, and went through a period where I really struggled on my “everyday” lens. I was going back and forth between the 24-105 IS f4L and the 24-70 f2.8L.  I eventually settled on the 24-105, as I felt the IS made up for the extra stop of the 2.8, and I like the extra range of the 105. Another consideration, especially for outdoor (hiking) photo trips is the weight of the faster glass.

the only time I use the 24-70 any more is for weddings and portraits.  I also pickup up a Sigma (didn’t have the money for Canon at the time) 50 f1.4. That lens is very nice for portraits, but I use it for nothing else.

• Like 1

My favorite lens for most photography is a Canon L F2.8 70-200mm.

Outdoor sports is Canon L 100-400mm F4.5-5.6

Indoor basketball Canon L 50mm or less for under basket shots.

Body is a Canon 5D MkIII with about 150K actuations and counting!

Next lens I'd like to buy: Canon L 400mm prime F2.8 $$$ for nighttime football under the lights.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, daddyjt said:

Agreed on the cost aspect - it’s not a linear increase, but more exponential.  I run a full Canon setup, and went through a period where I really struggled on my “everyday” lens. I was going back and forth between the 24-105 IS f4L and the 24-70 f2.8L.  I eventually settled on the 24-105, as I felt the IS made up for the extra stop of the 2.8, and I like the extra range of the 105. Another consideration, especially for outdoor (hiking) photo trips is the weight of the faster glass.

the only time I use the 24-70 any more is for weddings and portraits.  I also pickup up a Sigma (didn’t have the money for Canon at the time) 50 f1.4. That lens is very nice for portraits, but I use it for nothing else.

I feel the same way for a everyday lens, one of my favorites is a 18-135 or the 18-55 both of which is a f3.5.  I like the 18-135  just for the wide to medium range, it's convenient, but neither is a great lens, ok is about all. I need to find something faster for wide angle to mid range, slight zoom if possible without needing to rob a bank. When I first got into this hobby 40 years ago I loved the 50mm and zooms, now it

I need to one day look at third party lenses if I can't find anything I like or can afford from Nikon, I have never looked.

18 minutes ago, dtel said:

I feel the same way for a everyday lens, one of my favorites is a 18-135 or the 18-55 both of which is a f3.5.  I like the 18-135  just for the wide to medium range but neither is a great lens, ok is about all. I need to find something faster for wide angle to mid range, slight zoom if possible without needing to rob a bank.

I need to one day look at third party lenses if I can't find anything I like or can afford from Nikon, I have never looked.

I have owned 2 third party lenses (The previously mentioned Sigma 50 1.4, and a Tokina 11-20 wide angle) and borrowed a Sigma 24-70 2.8 (Before I purchased the Canon L).

The Sigma "EX" lenses are outstanding - nice glass, and tight fit and finish, with fast and quiet focusing.  The only down side I could say, is they are a bit heavy - but only because they are built like a tank.  You should be able to find a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 for around $600.

The Tokina I was not overly impressed with - fair build quality, and finicky focusing at times.  This was my wide angle lens until I upgraded to the 5d mkIII, at which time I had to get a full-frame compatible wide angle.

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Wish I could do that... you're talking about robotics, right? It's a little bit weird, but what do I know.

If it were only that easy, I have to remind myself I'm 60. My brain thinks it's 25 and wants to take on projects and my body says, what are you thinking your 60.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

my "old football injuries" are still catching up with me. 

I'm 63 and have been moving rock. By hand [and wheelbarrow]  Poco poco.  Rough guess 4 yds so far. I work my butt to dropping ...

I see those ads for the ED pills and saying, "Consult your Dr to see if you are healthy enough for sex" ... I don't wanna have to go to the Dr first, if/when the opportunity should arise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

My favorite lens for most photography is a Canon L F2.8 70-200mm.

Outdoor sports is Canon L 100-400mm F4.5-5.6

Indoor basketball Canon L 50mm or less for under basket shots.

Body is a Canon 5D MkIII with about 150K actuations and counting!

Next lens I'd like to buy: Canon L 400mm prime F2.8 $$$ for nighttime football under the lights.

How do you like the vibration control ? I have one with what Nikon calls VR, it'a a 70-300 and I didn't know or care about the VR, I bought it for the reviews of it's picture quality. I have never had a VR lens, but after trying it I love it, it works way better than I expected and saved many pictures I would have missed without it, especially still subjects at slow shutter speeds.

I started reading about this and was surprised, the mechanism that controls the VR is very similar to a voice coil in a speaker for how how it looks and works. I'm sold on vibration reduction now, it feels a little weird but works well. I have done may test playing around with it on and off trying to hand hold pic's at 300mm, it works.

An old 08 pic but one I remembered around when I first got the VR. This was ISO 1000,  1/10 sec. f/5.6 300mm sitting in a chair hand held, it surprised me. Not perfect but acceptable considering, I thought it would have been terrible.

jubefest 9 08 (35).jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, daddyjt said:

I have owned 2 third party lenses (The previously mentioned Sigma 50 1.4, and a Tokina 11-20 wide angle) and borrowed a Sigma 24-70 2.8 (Before I purchased the Canon L).

The Sigma "EX" lenses are outstanding - nice glass, and tight fit and finish, with fast and quiet focusing.  The only down side I could say, is they are a bit heavy - but only because they are built like a tank.  You should be able to find a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 for around $600.

The Tokina I was not overly impressed with - fair build quality, and finicky focusing at times.  This was my wide angle lens until I upgraded to the 5d mkIII, at which time I had to get a full-frame compatible wide angle.

I need to look one day to find what I would like, 24-70 is a cool range. I tend to research things like this do death, if I mess up it's not because I didn't look. 

As far as the DX or full frame, I did research it to death and have no doubt what's better,  just was not ready to make the big jump. It seems like it's always money.  And It's always my fault, I have more hobby's than I can afford and I finance nothing.

One of the old hobby's I have and I'm planning for now is woodworking, OK I have most of the tools, but I gave up most of my shop to my wife for her business which had to be done if I wanted to work from home. So I am planning a separate metal building for me, nothing huge just in the 24'x24' or 24'x30' size. This will also help business which my part is glass etching and custom wood signs, more space would let me do other things.

I'm not exactly retired but I call working from home on things I like to do while listening to music,  retired.

• Like 1