Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators
7 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

It's so true Elden. 6' tall, 14 years old, and he has no idea his potential. :)

He has a few more years of growing, you must be pretty tall. Well the biggest potential is from his parents and how he was raised, this is the key.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I took care of my dad, until he passed ...

I asked for his jazz bass. He had already gotten rid of a "new" one he used when he played in the orchestra.  Was telling him that when we were kids, we used to pluck it in its "bag"... 

He asked why we didn't just ask???? 

" Just keep him away from your gear!  lol  Both my daughters knew they'd die if they touched stack rack/turntable."

that was his baby. touch it .... are you kidding???

That's funny.

I did the same for years with my mother, I watched her for 5 years, it's part of why we started working from home. Doing both was one of the best things we have done, we promised her she wouldn't go in a home. My sister built a house a couple miles from here and would take her home at night and bring her here in the morning. Now that's it's over were glad to have done that for her, anything she had went to building there new house and she got to live in for a few years at night plus see the grandkids much more staying here during the day.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Photography is like becoming an audiophile...  Break out the check book.  I've shot professionally for about 28 years stringing mostly sports and spot news for papers and mags. Integrate 12 years in the military, after an MOS change, and now walk w/my right shoulder about an inch lower than my left from the bag full of glass,.  Ha.  Shoot all Nikon w/many of the larger lenses so yea...  You guys w/the McIntosh stuff wanna swap?  I'm walkin funny and it's sittin here collecting dust!  lolol  I guess the bottom line w/photography today is the fact most cells can get great results in a pinch.  Attach a few of the lil lenses that are made for them now and you'll be pleasantly suprised I think.  :)

I have to agree, to a point.

I don't have a fancy camera. It is a dedicated logic machine though. Still figuring it out. All of the other cameras were point and shoot.  The pics I have shown were cropped for content and file size, in post.  I didn't enhance them. 

getting to the point, you can have fun w/o spending a bundle.

Sure you can...  I had my 2 channel system and just went the route of photography too.   IF you read your manual about 3 times you'll start to get a grip.  Once you have that go get 'em.  I just reached "burn-out."  Everyone wanting all kinds of stuff.  Weddings and there were 20 ppl shooting my poses over my shoulder.  Can't beat that and I'm not one to tell them to leave so I can be "creative."   Just time to settle back into my 2-channel and enjoy!  :)

5 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

The key is to maintain a low keep-to-publish ratio

I seem to be drifting the other way. There are folks getting 500K actuations out of the better camera bodies now, so that is not a concern. I don't even pay attention to the number of pictures I take anymore. For example, In sports photography I'm always "hunting" for that perfectly timed shot. I might take 400 shots at a basketball game for instance. I'll publish to Facebook less than 5% of those only sharing the best. I might print 1 photo.

I went to DC with a film camera once 35 years ago. It took me a week to take 6 rolls of 24 film back then. I was very conservative with the pictures I took. The problem is, I doubt there is a picture in the lot worth sharing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Still figuring it out

A learning suggestion: Take pictures in Manual mode only. Most of my photos are taken this way. You will really get to know how ISO, aperture, shutter speed, focus, field of depth, and white balance affect your pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/12/2018 at 12:36 PM, dtel said:

That's funny.

I did the same for years with my mother, I watched her for 5 years, it's part of why we started working from home. Doing both was one of the best things we have done, we promised her she wouldn't go in a home. My sister built a house a couple miles from here and would take her home at night and bring her here in the morning. Now that's it's over were glad to have done that for her, anything she had went to building there new house and she got to live in for a few years at night plus see the grandkids much more staying here during the day.

That also happen with my family.... My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer..

and she went to go live with her daughter ( my aunt )..

i took over my grandmothers home... Where  I am today.. 

so my grandmother lived with my uncle and aunt...

my grandmother passed in 07, and my uncle passed in 08...

Found a video of the home.. Where we would spend

Christmas , thanksgiving ,and Easter...

The house was a raised ranch... And one of the garage stalls... Turned into a second kitchen and full bath...

To accommodate my grandmother needs..

Unfortunately the house was sold ... But Gia was able

To be there for her birthday and Christmas.. A few years back.. To be with my family...

As I watched the video... There's my grandmother 's

Old kitchen table with chairs... That was restored

About 20 years back...

I sat at that table as a little kid.. Watching my grandmother.. Make homemade pasta and Italian sausage...

Now the kitchen table and chairs.. Are back up here

At my father's house..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

I seem to be drifting the other way. There are folks getting 500K actuations out of the better camera bodies now, so that is not a concern. I don't even pay attention to the number of pictures I take anymore. For example, In sports photography I'm always "hunting" for that perfectly timed shot. I might take 400 shots at a basketball game for instance. I'll publish to Facebook less than 5% of those only sharing the best. I might print 1 photo.

I went to DC with a film camera once 35 years ago. It took me a week to take 6 rolls of 24 film back then. I was very conservative with the pictures I took. The problem is, I doubt there is a picture in the lot worth sharing. 

I may have worded it poorly - this is exactly what I meant. It's easy to take so many photos with digital systems now and the tendency for many is to just show the world every single one of them. One should be critical of their own work, curate their shots during post, and try to only show their best.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

A learning suggestion: Take pictures in Manual mode only. Most of my photos are taken this way. You will really get to know how ISO, aperture, shutter speed, focus, field of depth, and white balance affect your pictures.

I shot aperture priority for years and switched to quasi-manual about 6-8 months ago. I leave ISO on auto with an upper limit set to my preferred noise threshold, then manually tweak my exposure settings to get the shot I want. It doesn't feel too foreign from A-priority, but I've learned better exposure control as a result.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

One should be critical of their own work, curate their shots during post, and try to only show their best.

That's true, but one problem I have is my favorite pic may not be the best one. If I was trying to do something specific and it worked so I liked it, but it was not really the best overall pic. I guess it's all opinion and what the subject or story means to you in some cases.

But sometimes it's just one of those, wow that's a cool pic even if you know nothing about it, and that sometimes happens by accident.

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I shot aperture priority for years and switched to quasi-manual about 6-8 months ago. I leave ISO on auto with an upper limit set to my preferred noise threshold, then manually tweak my exposure settings to get the shot I want. It doesn't feel too foreign from A-priority, but I've learned better exposure control as a result.

I was always the opposite, I would fix the ISO/ASA for the general situation and use manual, adjusting the ISO a little if needed. I have never really used aperture or shutter priority, always manual.

But there has been a few times I just set it to A because I didn't want to be bothered or couldn't. I joke about the A, full automatic setting, we were off one day with a friend who was a photographer and I just pointed the camera to get a pic of him and he asked me "what do you have it set on ?" since I didn't pay attention at all, I said A for Alcohol, he thought that was funny,  he tends to like aperture priority in general.

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's true, but one problem I have is my favorite pic may not be the best one. If I was trying to do something specific and it worked so I liked it, but it was not really the best overall pic. I guess it's all opinion and what the subject or story means to you in some cases.

I didn't say technically perfect.. just to prune. I'll often have a favorite pic that expresses great emotion or a moment, but it slightly out of focus, bad lighting, etc. I'll still absolutely share those. I like to tell narratives so I'll usually curate 6-12 shots from an activity or sit down session and share those. But that could be out of 30-100 taken. My gripe is when people just upload the entire card's worth of shots and you'll see a string of 10 from the exact same scene with slightly different angles or settings, or the overall narrative is diluted by having too many pedestrian shots. It's super easy to do though, without having the restriction of film rolls, processing costs, or publishing expenses. Does that make sense?

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I didn't say technically perfect.. just to prune. I'll often have a favorite pic that expresses great emotion or a moment, but it slightly out of focus, bad lighting, etc. I'll still absolutely share those. I like to tell narratives so I'll usually curate 6-12 shots from an activity or sit down session and share those. But that could be out of 30-100 taken. My gripe is when people just upload the entire card's worth of shots and you'll see a string of 10 from the exact same scene with slightly different angles or settings, or the overall narrative is diluted by having too many pedestrian shots. It's super easy to do though, without having the restriction of film rolls, processing costs, or publishing expenses. Does that make sense?

Exactly, it's kind of what I was trying to say but didn't do very well at it.

I also will sometimes do 10 of almost the exact same thing trying to get something I see, in the past I would just save them because it was free to save. But more and more I eliminate most of them before storing just because later I can't remember what I was trying to do it's so many to try to review. Now I usually just keep the angle I like (or two) and ditch the rest.

Digital gives you the feeling that you can save them for free so why trash them, click away. With film I had a much better save ratio to average because each one cost money and you planned each shot a little more carefully. Both have good and bad points, Digital tends to give you many more plain pictures than film, but to me the advantage of digital is you can try more things that you may not try paying for each picture. And the big thing, you can see your results instantly, so many times with film by the time it got developed the pictures were always a surprise as to what you were trying to capture the week before.

But I still have photo albums and boxes of prints from long ago, and many many slides which I went to because it was cheaper. :blush: But it is fun to look back at people and events, old pictures don't lie or change like the memory of something can. :D

• Moderators

This "new to me" camera body is working great compared to the other one. But it's going to take me a little while to get everything set like I am use to. Little things like a fixed focus point and you can hold the trigger down half way and re frame the pic, I tend to like that. But now I have to try them all out so I am not missing out on something I might like. :o

But they give me at least a dozen different ways to rearrange how it focuses and different ways it can focus.  I think sometimes they try to please everyone and give more choices than they reasonably need to.

You can make hundreds of different changes, if that's not enough they give you a way to assign buttons to do different things, but I knew this was going to happen.

I keep thinking back to my old Cannon AE-1, your choices were about 3-4 as far as how to control the camera and you focused yourself if you wanted to or not. And strangely I could do anything this camera can. :lol: (Not considering the difference of film/digital)

• Like 2