Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

I wish I had a picture of the sky that I saw this morning.  It was really cloudy and there was a hole in the clouds that the sun shone through.  Everyone has seen that before so it's nothing special.  What made this unique was that the sun was still low in the sky and the hole was high in the clouds.  The ray of sunshine was actually angled upward.  I've never seen that before.  There was really no place to pull over and stop or I would have gotten a picture with my camera.

• Like 1

Not quite like Arizona but here a few Big Sky shots.

We get some cool cloud formations up at our hideout.

myfi4kf.jpg

It's hard to catch a night-time lightening flash with a Blackberry but I like this one.  This was one night that I wish I had my good camera gear.

QCmDWXk.jpg

Another cell phone shot near home.

rMvRoyi.jpg

• Like 8

I like those shots

content is more important ....

at least in my thinking

the photo processing in computers allow you to manipulate the image to a point where it all doesn't matter .... Like turning a photo into a painting

@sputnik

I have a good friend just moved down here from the GreatFalls area

He quite happy about our weather

30 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I like those shots

content is more important ....

at least in my thinking

the photo processing in computers allow you to manipulate the image to a point where it all doesn't matter .... Like turning a photo into a painting

@sputnik

I have a good friend just moved down here from the GreatFalls area

He quite happy about our weather

Thanks, I agree that I'd rather have a blurry/grainy shot than none at all.  Your friend may recognize the location of the first two shots - our getaway is near Augusta, about 50 miles west of Great Falls looking into the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

21 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Sputnik, are some of those views from your back porch so to speak?  Those are spectacular vistas.

Thanks, the first two are truly from the porch of our getaway place near Augusta and the third is just down the road from home.

• Like 1

Ha, yeah the hills in last two shots do look similar but are about 180 miles apart.  I understand your friend's sentiment about Montana weather - here's a shot of our place near Augusta on New Years Day, it had warmed up to 10 below zero and we had to walk in because our road was drifted over.  Not much there to block the views though.

Aa2RFEc.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sputnik said:

Thanks, the first two are truly from the porch of our getaway place near Augusta and the third is just down the road from home.

Wow, Beautiful.   with views and open space like that,  I could possibly be enticed, to embrace winters once again. 

My buddy didn't work in the winter .  He ran a fishing lodge up there...

He would come down here or not stop until he got to CostaRica

funny thing

we lived at the same elevation, except he was 2000 miles due north. Some interesting weather comparisons.

18 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

What do people do for a living around there? I do non-destructive testing and consulting for heavy industrial for example. Doesn't look like any of that going on around there. :)

Probably not much here in your line work.  The major industries are agriculture, mining, forestry, a few petroleum refineries, there's an Air Force base, and the universities.  Wages fall well below the national average and housing is expensive - here in Bozeman it's something like 140% of the national average.  WillyBob and his friend are right, living in northern climates isn't for everyone - you have to buy two of everything - summer and good winter clothes, two sets of tires for your car, a good snowblower and lawnmower, high heating and a/c bills.  You pretty much have to drive anywhere (even around town) and air travel is expensive.  But it's home, it's pretty, it's relatively uncrowded, and I like it.

• Like 4

living where I live isn't for everyone, either

June is almost as inhospitable as the dead of winter up there. 100` every day.  And SUN. And that, "It's a dry heat"... We have great weather for making jerky and mummies

you see the ones "in process" working in the middle of the day, outdoors.   Siesta isn't lazy ... it is smart

• Like 1

I went to grad school in Tucson.  Moved there after working in Alaska and just about died at first.  Everything there wants to hurt you - it's all either sharp and pointy or poisonous.  First time walking through the desert, I swore colla cactus balls could actually jump and attack.  By the time I left though I could mostly avoid trouble and was totally in love with the Sonoran Desert.  It was hard to leave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1