Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Front yard during a drought. Six feeders and a swarm all day long. I went through a 50 gallon drum of confectioners sugar that summer and it's a good thing I got it for free from a food manufacturing customer. You could stand away from the deck about 100' and all you saw was hummers flying to and fro. Hundreds in the air and around the feeders at a time.

humming birds front yard.JPG

• Like 10

On 4/20/2018 at 9:26 AM, sputnik said:

I went to grad school in Tucson.  Moved there after working in Alaska and just about died at first.  Everything there wants to hurt you - it's all either sharp and pointy or poisonous.  First time walking through the desert, I swore colla cactus balls could actually jump and attack.  By the time I left though I could mostly avoid trouble and was totally in love with the Sonoran Desert.  It was hard to leave.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

after living out here for 50 years, I can walk barefoot.  You DO watch where you step. You have to do that even with shoes

those cholla are something to avoid. I saw a campground in the middle of a forest of them. I bet nobody walked off the grounds ...

I just drove by thinking, "You have to be kidding"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One day I was minding my own business and decided it was time to eat. We live in perilous times but I never expected this. I reached into the potato sack and my hand was almost savaged by a potato shark.

shark potato.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

SOMEtimes I just go with my gut and listen to HIM!  I found that out LONG ago...  Today was truly one of those days:   Almost 12k graduating from THEE OSU, yup 5 rows abreast coming in from both sides at the South end of the Horseshoe in Columbus, Ohio...  Marissa where are you??? "Just coming in the South end tunnel Dad" But WHERE? WHICH SIDE???  No reply... The ranks were breaking up and spreading out all over the North end of the stadium finding their seats.  Then a couple minutes later I look down the steps and BOOM!  She was as suprised as I was!  CONGRATULATIONS TO MY BUCKEYE!  You GO BUCKS girl!!!  DONE & EARNED! (Don't ask about the future... Last time I did she said she was flying to LA to talk about a job. I DO know she spent a couple days at Coachella! HAHAHA!!!)

riss graduation.jpg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

SOMEtimes I just go with my gut and listen to HIM!  I found that out LONG ago...  Today was truly one of those days:   Almost 12k graduating from THEE OSU, yup 5 rows abreast coming in from both sides at the South end of the Horseshoe in Columbus, Ohio...  Marissa where are you??? "Just coming in the South end tunnel Dad" But WHERE? WHICH SIDE???  No reply... The ranks were breaking up and spreading out all over the North end of the stadium finding their seats.  Then a couple minutes later I look down the steps and BOOM!  She was as suprised as I was!  CONGRATULATIONS TO MY BUCKEYE!  You GO BUCKS girl!!!  DONE & EARNED! (Don't ask about the future... Last time I did she said she was flying to LA to talk about a job. I DO know she spent a couple days at Coachella! HAHAHA!!!)

riss graduation.jpg

Congratulations Dave to you and Marissa!

• Like 2

I was going to comment on all the hummingbirds ...

we used to feed them and had numbers like that.

It was dangerous to go near the feeders. You get the feeling you might get impaled by them. I still get them w/o the sugar ... and they behave like kids on sugar .. They respond to plain water as well and w/o the expense/mess/bother of sugar

16 hours ago, WillyBob said:

It was dangerous to go near the feeders. You get the feeling you might get impaled by them. I still get them w/o the sugar ... and they behave like kids on sugar .. They respond to plain water as well and w/o the expense/mess/bother of sugar

We felt that way to and without glasses on you felt in peril. I had 9 50 gallon drums of sugar to work with and on a regular year they will last two or thee seasons each so i am covered for a while. Right now they are feeding on Tulip Poplars so no amount of sugar from a feeder draws them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/6/2018 at 4:17 PM, Dave1290 said:

SOMEtimes I just go with my gut and listen to HIM!  I found that out LONG ago...

Congratulations to both of you. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
23 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Even when we fed them we never had that many ever.