Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators
You can see all my stuff here,

Very nice Amy, a lot of great pictures but I think my favorite is the guy on the skateboard, I don't know why that one but I kept going back to it ?

OMG... The Sony Alpha a7s looks to be a stunning set up!

Sony are really turning out some great cameras. I was a looong time Nikon user (film) but the Sony Alpha a77 and a99 made me a believer. I really like the electronic view-finder (evf). The "G" class and Zeiss lenses are for the most part superb, and comparable to anything the "2 big boys" put out, another big plus is that the stabilization is incorporated in the body rather than the lens, so regardless of the lens used you have Image Stabilization. I also enjoy seeing the look of disgust on fellow photogs faces when they realise I'm shooting with a SONY DSLT!!!!...... :)

• Moderators
stabilization is incorporated in the body rather than the lens, so regardless of the lens used you have Image Stabilization.

Great idea being in the body, I only have in one lens a 300mm and was shocked how well it works, I would now look for it on any lens I would be interested in.

stabilization is incorporated in the body rather than the lens, so regardless of the lens used you have Image Stabilization.

Great idea being in the body, I only have in one lens a 300mm and was shocked how well it works, I would now look for it on any lens I would be interested in.

Yup! no matter what lens I use, whether it be one of my old Nikon, Minolta, Canon etc it is stabilized, and yes it does work well. Edited by oldenough

JL, did you look into the Youngo flashes, I've had some friends purchase them and so far the results and reviews have been good. Can't beat the prices either.

I did but in the end went with the 600 because of two reasons.

1) it's capable of 200mm zoom. Right now Yonguo doesn't offer one that will do that. Shot many photos at the high school beauty pageant this weekend and happy with very few of those photos. Flash just couldn't make the trip.

2) Canon flash automatically detects camera body and corrects for cropped sensor like the 7D. The Yonguo doesn't appear to do that one either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yongnuo-YN565EX-TTL-Flash-for-Canon-5D-II-7D-60D-F359-/300899427512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460f00e4b8

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 1

I really enjoy my Canon L 24-105mm F4.0 IS zoom lens. I hope to use it more indoors with this flash. The lens simply takes awesome pictures of people. Better than any other lens I have including a L F2.8 70-200mm.

Here is one I shot this weekend. I like it but we where 10ft away on this one.

post-32707-0-07700000-1396984689_thumb.j

• Like 2

• Moderators
I really like the compact nature of the kit.

Those are very nice, I noticed there are also a bunch new cameras out with a retro look but up to date performance. I love the DSLR's but your right they are big and can get to be a problem sometimes being so obvious, your not going to hide them very well.

I really like that Fuji, my wife wanted something like that and ended up with a Nex-7, I enjoy using it and it is always in the car ready to use. I have only recently moved to digital and I am finding the learning curve tougher than I thought it would be, photoshop is just frustrating for me. Oh how I miss my darkroom....lol

Edited by oldenough

• Moderators
I do a fair amount of street photography and a big black SLR intimidates some people, or makes me more obvious than I want to be.

It really does, I sometimes miss pics because i'm trying to look like I am not just there taking pictures and blend In but many people tend to look your way or just what you said feel intimated and it ruins some pictures, not even counting the fact I don't want to be mugged !

I really want to go back to the French quarter in the evening and after dark and bring the tripod. Sometimes we get our niece or daughters and husbands to go walking just so we have a little crowd, mostly because it feels safer than just my wife an I, and more fun. We have never had a problem but we don't want to look like a big target either.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I typically ask people, so being incognito isn't an issue. Some people try to cheese it up, but I usually tell them to act like I'm not there. Depends on the shot I'm going for.

I don't want to get mugged either :)

I also love the reactions I get. I asked that skateboarder (someone mentioned him up there somewhere...) if he minded... he was ecstatic and all his friends were jealous. I found that funny.

• Like 1