Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

On 4/24/2021 at 9:52 AM, Dave1291 said:

Great memory moment right there.  Launched it!   #2 w/the team is great too!  Now find a third and ya have a collage!  :)

Claude was a shooter but not sure what he had for equipment.  I've been there before and my $.02 worth is save your money.  Granny or someone will ALWAYS be shooting over your shoulder cutting your throat after you've done all the work w/the set-up.  Also if you post on social media anywhere check their copyright laws.  99% of the time you give up your copyright to your work when you post on their site.  

I have a TON of great shots on film and have to scan them into digital format but even if I did that I wouldn't post anywhere.  Nice guys finish last and make zero.  Had a lady want pics of her cheerleader daughter once.  I printed 4 sweet shots in 5x7 and told her $10 for all 4.  She went off on how I should be giving them to her cause the paper paid for them.  I explained I paid for them & not the paper.  She didn't want them then.  I said OK, np, tore them in two and tossed them in the trash right in front of her.  She was hot!  Me, no problemo!  :)

I've had friends who were pro wedding photographers years ago and some of them reported that the families took the proofs to another lab and had internegs made so they could print them themselves and avoid paying the photographer for the rest of the package.  My experience is that if you post your intellectual property to the internet you lose control of it, unless your are a big media company with lawyers who devote their time to sending takedown notices to YouTube. An expensive game of whack-a-mole.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, boom3 said:

I've had friends who were pro wedding photographers years ago and some of them reported that the families took the proofs to another lab and had internegs made so they could print them themselves and avoid paying the photographer for the rest of the package.  My experience is that if you post your intellectual property to the internet you lose control of it, unless your are a big media company with lawyers who devote their time to sending takedown notices to YouTube. An expensive game of whack-a-mole.

If "proofs" aren't stamped or screened when printed as "proofs" then it's on them.  Labs respect copyright and won't print internegs IF they're a respectable lab.  Yea, it's whack-a-mole for sure.  Why I quit actually.  "Luck & a lot of practice getting "the" shot years ago is done.  Today's pro gear is amazing but priced off the planet.  Papers/Mags don't buy your equipment so it's on you. Gimme my cell and hold my beer works for me anymore.  :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Gimme my cell and hold my beer works for me anymore. 

Works for me now, as well. I have my eye on a digital camera, but it's too much money. I use to shoot 16mm film for TV news (shows you how old I am. I have a camera app on my cell phone that lets me adjust DOF, can do focus pulls and set the beginning and end points. It's pretty amazing, and was only $15. I read a review by a purchaser and he complained it should be way better for the money spent. I laughed out loud. my news camera rig was pretty basic and was about $15,000 in the early '70s. And now they complain about $15.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
On 4/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, Marvel said:

I have my eye on a digital camera, but it's too much money.

On 4/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, Dave1291 said:

Sitting here w/too much glass and nothing to put it on.  Don't want to sell the lenses so gonna HAVE to buy another Nikon I guess.  Hooked!  

I have had good luck with KEH camera, used but each camera is rated and the rating are accurate to condition. 

https://www.keh.com/

• Like 3

It's still colorful there @Shiva

Hemlocks up the hill and Palms closer to the ocean. When I see even a dusting of snow on the boughs of a Hemlock I think of the Grinch... the original half hour one! Something about their abstract shape.

• Like 1