Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

Hawaiian shirts?  I did intend my original “tasteful” reference in fun.  But, I do have some fairly nice ones that I’ve picked over the years.  Here are couple of silk ones that I picked up in Hawaii about 20 years ago.

E7AECEB0-E63E-448A-9AB2-DD71DD351B98.jpeg

150777B7-B5B6-4C37-B81F-12A150F49C66.jpeg

I think this one is from the 80s

93A53109-D23F-4805-9B49-96A50419BA4C.jpeg

• Like 2

A few more.  I have even more but I think my wife hid them.

Here’s an Armani Hawaiian shirt 😀

715B300B-29B4-4B60-A523-09FAFAECF58F.jpeg

This one is “tasteful” I think.

8C15C18D-12D3-4A1B-970D-820E4A7F5EF7.jpeg

This is probably my nicest one.  A older Sig Zane and only one of a few of mine that were actually made in Hawaii.

4C0D3CC8-A93F-4C6E-9CC5-451C2E918A71.jpeg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

When they don't make the pockets match with the underlying pattern, then it screams cheap.  This is true for any shirt, or suit detail for that matter.

I don’t think that’s universally true. I bet you’d look great in this Prada shirt that costs $1,100.  Maybe you could get it for a better price if you pointed out the mismatched pocket.

https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/prada-palm-tree-print-bowling-shirt-item-15241428.aspx?storeid=11241

175B3A2E-D13E-41E3-954E-63DBFD476729.jpeg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sputnik said:

I did intend my original “tasteful” reference in fun.

As did I with the oxymoron crack.  I knew you could take it.  I have a couple Hawaiian shirts, one of which I bought in Hawaii, another at a local thrift shop.  

EDIT: 6/17/21

I stand corrected.  The pocket matches on the expensive shirt purchased in Honolulu; it does not match on the thrift shop shirt.

• Like 3

Emerald hummingbird, one of pair. I think 3rd or more generation living near our house. When the sun hits it just right emerald turns bright red. I tried for several hours for this shot, it was a fluke. It just took off from the branch and I had autofocus on and clicked without seeing what I was getting. Hope to get a shot of the pair together or one hovering vertically. That will be nice.

57AE5B26-F983-4FDB-AF87-D9E237B8BA8F.jpeg

• Like 5

They are amazing creatures. Fun to watch, they are so fast. But the vertical hover is best. Once in a blue moon the two will meet and hover in front of each other, then zoom they are gone. They seem curious too. Will come by and check us out. There are lots of plants / flowers for them and warm temperatures so they seem to be ok here.

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MC39693 said:

Emerald hummingbird, one of pair. I think 3rd or more generation living near our house. When the sun hits it just right emerald turns bright red. I tried for several hours for this shot, it was a fluke. It just took off from the branch and I had autofocus on and clicked without seeing what I was getting. Hope to get a shot of the pair together or one hovering vertically. That will be nice.

I sat out for a couple hours one day last year, got tired of holding the camera trying to get a shot, got a few but nothing worth keeping. 

This year we have 3 feeders at the edge of the patio, for a few weeks we were having plenty birds drinking, then all of a sudden none. It had been about 3 weeks now and now we have one on occasion., hoping to see more. I have no idea why they stopped unless they were just passing theough ?   I change out the sugar water regulary acourding to the temperature outside. 

• Like 1

@dtel similar here, the hummingbirds were around a lot in early spring but are rare to see now although I’m pretty sure they have a nest nearby. Maybe they have eggs to keep warm and flowers are so abundant now they have a lot of choice as to where they eat. You might have migrants taking a short break then flying on.