The Three Things That Suck Most About the Beatles

thebes

Try posting this on the Steve Hoffmann.tv forum.

O and by the way:

1. All reissues are digital, analog reissues OOP

2. Silly clothes in the beginning (Should have kept their leather suits from the Hamburg era)

3. The gadget hysteria. Toys from a rock band. That is indeed not cool and childish. (BS button)

• Like 1

Thebes,

in 55 minutes, Amazon is having a sale on remastered CD's of Abbey Road and Sgt. Peppers. I'm sure you don't want to miss this very special remastering.

EDIT: They all sold out, must have been a good remaster.

They certainly know their business and how to keep drinking from the well.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

Try posting this on the Steve Hoffmann.tv forum.

Why? I'm presuming that means they'd all agree with me, which wouldn't be surprising given the subject matter.

Feel free to post my reasoned and restrained worldview on the Beatles. I'm sure they will be happy to come here and participate.

• Like 1

13 records from 1963-1970 which is more like 7 years.

How many other bands had that kind of work ethic, quality of work, and diversity of sound?

How many bands can sellout and then unsellout? From Teddy Boys to clean cut chaps to crazy hippies 8-)

What sucks about The Beatles is that they set the bar too high for bands to come.

• Like 1

What sucks about The Beatles is that they set the bar too high for bands to come.

It so tainted what managers and record companies wanted to achieve that many a great band and music never saw distribution and discovery. How many other great sounding and entertaining bands that could have been will never be known.

That is why I am a fan of "Little Steven's Underground Garage" on satellite radio. It features samples of bands and music I never knew existed. That and Seti's blog posts on some interesting bands keeps my backlog of new material to listen to quite high.

Brad

Edited by bracurrie

Two of them are gone...

...three times

Incredible music, with a LOT of variety. I hear other bands, long running bands, who don't produce such a vast difference in melody, tempo, arrangements. Many don't even write their own material. Even the newer McCartney material is good. I won't even fault Ringo, as he was a solid member of the group. They could have done far worse.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

It so tainted what managers and record companies wanted to achieve that many a great band and music never saw distribution and discovery. How many other great sounding and entertaining bands that could have been will never be known.

That is why I am a fan of "Little Steven's Underground Garage" on satellite radio. It features samples of bands and music I never knew existed. That and Seti's blog posts on some interesting bands keeps my backlog of new material to listen to quite high.

Brad

The Beatles did have to battle the EMI scientist many times to get the product they wanted. I read a story where The Beatles had just completed Sgt.Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour on a 4 track. Then after completing all this time consuming work John discovers that EMI had a 12 track in the lab the entire time. Apparently he went ballistic. I often wonder if the the white album was a big F U to the EMI guys who held back the 12 track.

What the mainstream music industry has become is disgusting.

I wish XM was still around as they had more diversity than Sirius.

I've found many internet based radio stations that are great at getting obscure music out there. I've found that following labels like Anti-Records and various quality independent labels another way to find great music. Often times production values are very high as well. Then there are re-issues of ultra rare records which is where I find the majority of my new music.

Edited by seti

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a supporter of Public television but tonight I'm turn it on and low and behold, some wanna-be, I'm-old-but-I'm-hip-because-I-can-Glom-Something-off-of-the-Beatles-that-is-as-bad-as-a-Beatles-song. Yup some "arteest" had found some PBS smuck to fund a film called "Lennon Naked"

Not only is Nekkid spelled wrong, cheez, how hard can it be: Nekkid,. N.. E. K. K. I D.! Dang, where were they raised.

Anyways, yes anyways is English, albeit bad English. Not only is John Lennon nekkid in this film, but also, gack, Yoko Ono, which in Webster's has always been defined as butt ugly. And when you see her butt, you will agree!

This must be highfaluting PBS art, because it's got a rich shut-in, and his partner, whose signing sounds like cats drowning, sitting around doing absolutely nothing. Oh, yes the glory of the Beatles, they had Yoko Ono helping them out.

I'm heading for the Listerine, but before I do, let it be known I am no longer a supporter of PBS.

Edited by thebes

Two of them are gone...

...three times

Incredible music, with a LOT of variety. I hear other bands, long running bands, who don't produce such a vast difference in melody, tempo, arrangements. Many don't even write their own material. Even the newer McCartney material is good. I won't even fault Ringo, as he was a solid member of the group. They could have done far worse.

Bruce

Ringo was the poor bastard that had to be in the studio no matter who was recording especially towards the end. I'd be willing to bet he racked more studio time than all of them combined. That may explain why he was the first to walk out. I'm waiting for Paul to die so Ringo can write THE beatles book.

The George Harrison movie by Scorsese is highly recommended.

I may be in the minority but I like Yoko... She's weird as hell and still doing it.

There's no "may be" about it....most of the people on this forum have a pretty good taste in music. You obviously have a serious hearing problem..... ;)

Edited by oldenough
  • Like 2