The Three Things That Suck Most About the Beatles

thebes

• 3 weeks later...

Try posting this on the Steve Hoffmann.tv forum.

Why? I'm presuming that means they'd all agree with me, which wouldn't be surprising given the subject matter.

Feel free to post my reasoned and restrained worldview on the Beatles. I'm sure they will be happy to come here and participate.

It would be more like the members over there would hunt you down and have a public lynching, there not as mellow as the people on these forums

Edited by HAmmer32261

What sucks about The Beatles is that they set the bar too high for bands to come.

It so tainted what managers and record companies wanted to achieve that many a great band and music never saw distribution and discovery. How many other great sounding and entertaining bands that could have been will never be known.

That is why I am a fan of "Little Steven's Underground Garage" on satellite radio. It features samples of bands and music I never knew existed. That and Seti's blog posts on some interesting bands keeps my backlog of new material to listen to quite high.

Brad

Whats that you say???!!?? Seti's blog has more to it then just Retro Friday HiFi Hotties!!!! I guess I will have to scroll down a bit further on Friday's ;)

Edited by DoubleJ

Why? I'm presuming that means they'd all agree with me, which wouldn't be surprising given the subject matter.

Feel free to post my reasoned and restrained worldview on the Beatles. I'm sure they will be happy to come here and participate.

It would be more like the members over there would hunt you down and have a public lynching, there not as mellow as the people on these forums

Now that's funny. So what you are saying is that these Steve Hofmann forum guys would get their panties all in a bunch and flash their mop tops at me until out of fear I surrendered and admitted that the Beatles were more than a bubble gum band? Don't hold your breath because I'm pretty sure the Beatles wrote "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I got love in my tummy...." I know that without a doubt they wrote "Funny Funny" and Sugar, Sugar"

Trying to remember, was the name of the Beatles label Apple? or Treacle?

Edited by thebes

Now that's funny. So what you are saying is that these Steve Hofmann forum guys would get their panties all in a bunch and flash their mop tops at me until out of fear I surrendered and admitted that the Beatles were more than a bubble gum band? Don't hold your breath because I'm pretty sure the Beatles wrote "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I got love in my tummy...." I know that without a doubt they wrote "Funny Funny" and Sugar, Sugar"

Trying to remember, was the name of the Beatles label Apple? or Treacle?

No The Beatles had nothing to do with yummy,

"Yummy Yummy Yummy" is a bubblegum pop song by Arthur Resnick and Joey Levine, first recorded by Ohio Express in 1968. Their version reached #4 in the U.S. Pop Singles chart[1] in June and #5 in the UK Singles Chart.[2] It has since been covered by many artists. Ohio Express was a studio concoction and none of the "official" members appear on the record. Joey Levine sang lead vocals.

1. There was no true follow up to Abbey Road. A new era was about to be opened up with that album.

2. The "live" albums that were released (Hollywood Bowl, etc...) that had the screaming girls going.... on and on and on.

3. They never would come stop by the house for some good Tex/Mex food when they were in the area.

• Like 1

What sucks about The Beatles is that they set the bar too high for bands to come.

It so tainted what managers and record companies wanted to achieve that many a great band and music never saw distribution and discovery. How many other great sounding and entertaining bands that could have been will never be known.

That is why I am a fan of "Little Steven's Underground Garage" on satellite radio. It features samples of bands and music I never knew existed. That and Seti's blog posts on some interesting bands keeps my backlog of new material to listen to quite high.

Brad

Whats that you say???!!?? Seti's blog has more to it then just Retro Friday HiFi Hotties!!!! I guess I will have to scroll down a bit further on Friday's ;)

Shhh... My wife doesn't know ^_^

• Like 1

Thebes, how did I miss this thread until now? Must have been the holiday season distractions. Your original post reminds me why you are my hero ( on this forum, you know, in a limited way for an off night.) Someone has to speak their mind every now and then and by gum you are the guy to do it. Dave Mallette, Parliament Funkedelic is a force to be reckoned with, much under-rated by those out of the know, and were ever more satirical of their surroundings than the beatles could have hoped to accomplish. As for another poster talking about other bands lack of listenability vs. the beatles, and the 7 year run, I propose ELP as better for originality and sheer unadulterated musicianship. Imagine the beatles pulling off Bennie The Bouncer?

1. John and Paul needed each other, but

2. Paul was better on his own

3. The Rutles proved that combining one or more beatles song themes and riffs trumped almost anything the beatles did in the singular. Plus the Rutles were funnier.

So, who here is hip like Thebes, and who is more like Sir NoseD'Voidoffunk?

"Ain't nothin' but a party!"

• 2 weeks later...

OK, idjits, yes they were influenced by others. They unabashidly named themselves after Buddy Holley and the Crickets; so what? McCartney and Lennon have written more hit songs than any other living group. How can you down-rate that?

sorry, wish I could spell better....

p.s. Thebes, do you really hate the Beatles or are you playing devil's advocate?

Edited by pete.almquist
  • Like 1