The Three Things That Suck Most About the Beatles

thebes

That's our Thebes.

But he is all wrong about The Beatles.

A nice lady took me last weekend to a performance of the Magical Mystery Tour band at the Mayne Event here in Chicago land.

It was not quite a cover band because they played other things in the first two sets. Some fairly good.

But the third set was Beatles.

Yup, it started with Magical Mystery Tour . . . every one was singing. Then ended with the second side of Abbey Road. Everyone loved even a troubled performance.

It was like Amadeus.

The cover band's works don't hold a candle to the genius.

The Beatles stuff was happy, depressed, salacious, cynical, introspective, innovative, and a lot of fun.

WMcD

• Like 1

Paul and John made what 180 songs? Frank Zappa, a true American, made 80 lp's!

With more than 80 albums to his credit, composer/arranger/guitarist/bandleader Frank Zappa demonstrated a mastery of pop idioms ranging from jazz to rock of every conceivable variety, penned electronic and orchestral works, parlayed controversial satire, and testified in Congress against censorship. Zappa was impatient with any division between popular and high art; he combined scatological humor with political wit, required of his players (among them over the years, Little Feat founder Lowell George, guitarists Adrian Belew and Steve Vai, and drummer Terry Bozzio) an intimidating skill, and displayed consistent innovation in instrumental and studio technology" Quoth the Rolling Stone. And the beatles did what? Played some rock, went to India, coupled with divisive girlfriends....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO - just speaking for myself - the truth is somewhere in the middle. Some the Beatles stuff did suck, some of it was decent pop/rock-n-roll and none of it falls into the "genius" category. ((That should be reserved for guys like Beethoven). On the other hand, they weren't bad musicians (except perhaps that drummer!) and were actually able to write in keys other than "C". I'm an amatuer musician who plays a '58 Hammond B-3 and I tend to avoid Beatles tunes unless I have a request or an overwhelming compulsion to do the nostalgia thing. Mostly, for me, their music is just not that interesting or fun to play.

Congrats to Thebes for finding another raw nerve. You help keep the forum lively. Glad I joined. Cheers to all.

Fighting off Tipper Gore and her censorship thugs is impact enough for me, and that's only the tip of the iceberg compared to impact on music itself. Lots of people just don't know it yet. Leading music teaching universities and schools now have entire courses devoted to the study of his music. I haven't seen any courses that study the beatles. Perhaps they are in the pop culture department of "American Studies?" But I doubt it.

The Three Things That Suck Most About the Beatles

1. Revolution 9

2. Revolution 9 (when played again)

3. Revolution 9 (when played a third time)

ad nauseam, ad nauseam, ad nauseam

Edited by Boxx

No josh. Just that they retain some sort of idol worship here that has long since gone elsewhere. Go on forums with lots of English and you wont get the same response as you would here. The true American component is just an inflammatory turn of phrase meant to draw more participation into Thebes thread.

Edited by oldtimer

Thanks

Are you speaking of idol worship on these forums? I am not saying it doesnt exist I just dont recall seeing it. I did search world wide sales and you are correct the US is the by far the leading country in terms of record sales. I am sure if you index against population the US would not look as dominate.

The Beatles Total Album Sales Statistics Data Total Albums Sold 2,303,500,000 Total Albums Sold on iTunes 585,000 Total Singles Sold on iTunes 2.8 Million Sales By Available Markets United States 209.1 Million Canada 13.6 Million United Kingdom 7.5 Million Germany 7.3 Million France 3.1 Million Australia 2.8 Million Japan 1.9 Million Argentina 1.6 Million Brazil 600,000 Sweden 584,000 Austria 570,000 Switzerland 450,000 Beatles Bi

The Beatles were a victim of their times and their own successes. They were very creative, much more so than the OTC pop bands. Had they not imploded I think they had much more to follow. They were embarrassed to have been overly commercially exploited. Why spend anytime tearing them or any groups apart? It was what it was. I never bought any of there music until later in life and then I rarely listen to them. But, when you hear their stuff it conjures up lots and lots of fun memories.