The Three Things That Suck Most About the Beatles

thebes

Saw the Stones in 1981 (along with J. Geils, George Thorougood, and Prince).  Queen is a much better show.  

Never saw Bowie; but, some great hits there … Ziggy, Suffragette City, Space Oddity.

Bowie put on an excellent show when I saw him. Adrien Belew (did I spell this right) played guitar and if I'm not mistaken, Stevie Ray Vaughan opened for him.

It's a new shopping season and the mop heads are back, one more time, again, to shake the wallets of the geriatrics boomers, before they go to their great reward thinking that with their last breath that the  (dung) Beatles were the best band in creation.

Yes folks it's the "Special Edition", ultra deluxe box 3 piece cd  re-release of , The Beatles "1", which as as I understand it is a compilation of various (dung)Beatles tracks of various songs, re-mixed then remastered, then re-issued and now re-mastered again and then re-issued.

Or something like that. 

I repeat this again, I wanna hold your gland is not a love song.

You want a real love song. This contemporaneous  take on a NIna Simone song is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHjKzr6tLz0

Not to mention this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQdMZ1qrn6k

Thebes, the new re-releases of the re-releases sound like crap as well. Everyone I have spoken to says they wished they'd never purchased them.

3. Nice boys. Buncha mamas boys. The kind we used to use as cat's paws to distract parents when we were trying to sneak into their collective daughters panties. Even when they became hippies they became nice hippies. Probably used napkins to wipe their mouths after eating Alice B brownies.

You got this a bit twisted. The Beatles were all from working class families in Liverpool, and were not mamas boys. You're thinking of the Rolling Stones. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I can't disagree with the ubiquitous box set phenomenon, although I'm not complaining about their decision to have a greater streaming presence. Also, no argument about Chuck Berry, after that however...

As a young boy I certainly was not lacking for music in my household, my grandmother had a love for the Ink Spots and Mills Brothers among others. Elvis was established and AM stations like CKLW were ahead of the curve in terms of Motown and pop music in general. Then one night everyone was glued to the TV.

"1-2-3-4!"

Even at eight years of age it was impossible not to be drawn to what I saw. Although too young to really realize it the drums and bass line of "I Saw Her Standing There" changed a lot of things at that moment for me. They were happy, they were cool. Pure joy. Years later, around puberty, the fact that the girls were on fire for them didn't hurt either.

You can make a case any way you want about the Beatles, but they liberated youth like never before. They did it after experiencing American Blues music in a way that we hadn't experienced the very same music. Elvis was censored, there were plenty of straight-laced taboos, and the Beatles along with the British Invasion made us see what we had been missing. It is not an overstatement to say that they indeed changed everything, including culture. Whether that's good or bad I will gladly leave to the individual, for me it was good. I'm a big fan of prog music (let the beatings commence) and for my money songs like 'Eleanor Rigby', 'A Day in the Life', and 'I Am the Walrus" were not only prog, but they fundamentally changed the way I viewed and listened to music. While I the evolution of popular music would have still occurred in some way the Beatles were the catalyst for what we have now. Some people never got the Beatles, does that make them old or wrong? Thankfully there's plenty of music out there so it's not an issue for most. More times than not the hair on the back on my neck still stands up when I hear it.

"1-2-3-4!"

And for that I am grateful.

Edited by sonder
  • Like 3

Uh, oh. I will throw it out there, I agree with Thebes to a certain point. I dont want to bash them as they are a force you just have to deal with. But the early stuff I agree with Thebes is that Bubble Gum crap like Yellow Submarine, Koo Koo Kachoo, I'm a Walrus, not a big fan. However, Hey Jude and a couple of others live up to the hype. I consider them a Bubble Gum band. Oh yeah, Helter Skelter song redone by Motley Crue is much better IMHO.

Yoko doesnt even deserve to be mentioned as far as music goes. The vision of seeing her attempt to sing (on TV) has been long lasting. I still have the scars. And watching Ringo dance and attempt to sing is just as bad. 

Now, Paul and the Wings IMHO opinion put out some classics that have stood the time. I would take the Wings any day over the Beatles.

George did better things on his own after the Beatles.

John did better things after the Beatles.

Let the bashing continue!

3 Ringo sounds like a Howler Monkey on crack

Hopefully he doesn't throw his poop at the crowd like those monkeys..... :o

Koo Koo Kachoo, I'm a Walrus, not a big fan.

Neither was Lois Lane. :emotion-14:

loislane on Beatles.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's a new holiday season but by gosh those spunky foursome are back at it again with yet another re-issue, this time its Sargent Pepperpot.

Arguably their most creative piece, it's basically a tricked up a 1940's British dancehall rendition, clouded by aromatic smoke.

Now granted 1967 was a seminal moment in music history, especial in rock (The Doors self-titled anyone?)

Then take a look at soul and r&b and and jazz releases for that year and you will wonder why you were so enamored of the mop tokers and so blind to what  was actually happening musically at the cusp of what was really the 60's (1965 to 1974 by my reckoning).

So for a limited time only I' m issuing a free, yes that's free!, barf bag with every proof of purchase of the Lonely Hearts. A far better offer than those capitalist cronies trying just one more time to screw you out of your honest ducats in what can only be considered "bad trip" down the nostalgic road, a bypass on the true road to sonic nirvana.

Always liked them and was raised with them in the background. Perhaps it is an old school Canadian thing, but back in the 60s when I was a boy our culture was much closer tied to Britain than to the USA as it is today. Most of us still had relations there and travel, trade culture etc was much closer. Guys like me are getting older and becoming a minority now. Pub culture etc is still a cornerstone as is Her Majesty’s New Years broadcast etc. Canada is a totally different country these days - not for the better in my opinion but that is a whole other discussion.

On 2/10/2014 at 11:28 PM, oldtimer said:

Paul and John made what 180 songs? Frank Zappa, a true American, made 80 lp's!

With more than 80 albums to his credit, composer/arranger/guitarist/bandleader Frank Zappa demonstrated a mastery of pop idioms ranging from jazz to rock of every conceivable variety, penned electronic and orchestral works, parlayed controversial satire, and testified in Congress against censorship. Zappa was impatient with any division between popular and high art; he combined scatological humor with political wit, required of his players (among them over the years, Little Feat founder Lowell George, guitarists Adrian Belew and Steve Vai, and drummer Terry Bozzio) an intimidating skill, and displayed consistent innovation in instrumental and studio technology" Quoth the Rolling Stone. And the beatles did what? Played some rock, went to India, coupled with divisive girlfriends....

On 2/12/2014 at 10:23 AM, oldtimer said:

Fighting off Tipper Gore and her censorship thugs is impact enough for me, and that's only the tip of the iceberg compared to impact on music itself. Lots of people just don't know it yet. Leading music teaching universities and schools now have entire courses devoted to the study of his music. I haven't seen any courses that study the beatles. Perhaps they are in the pop culture department of "American Studies?" But I doubt it.

On 2/12/2014 at 10:31 AM, joshnich said:

Im not sure I am following the "true american" component of the Frank Zappa argument. Are you suggesting that the Beatles were/are only popular in America?

On 2/13/2014 at 3:06 PM, thebes said:
On 2/13/2014 at 12:09 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

I can't do it because I gave away all my Beatles albums years ago to a ***** shooting club. Note(for some reason the forum sotfware won't let me spell out the word to the type of club where they shoot clay pigeons. Wierd.)

Grasshopper:

The reasons you seek can be found on a journey "To the windows" or perhaps "To the walls". But you must journey no farther, for in the immortal words of Jerry Chick "That's gonna itch when it dries".

On 12/9/2017 at 12:49 AM, YK Thom said:

Canada is a totally different country

It's amazing how few Americans understand that simple statement.

But let's get back on topic. and I apologize for reviving this topic only to not respond. My computer finally dissolved last Saturday and I'm only now up and really running again.

Perhaps a little more food for thought will suffice. It's also the 50th Anniversary of Otis Redding's posthumous "Dock of the Bay" album.

I do believe somebody is doing a re-issue of that. Now that's what I want for Christmas!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deang said:

Phuck the last 11 pages. I think The Beatles are awesome.

Tonight has been all Beatles -- I started when I got off of work, and I'm still going.

Well good for you!  I try not to ever be dismissive of what floats a persons musical boat.  It's a wide open tent with room for all.  Sure I have problems with The  Monkees,  the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, and that Barry fellow, but at the end of the day, The Beatles are one of the major reason we had a  War of Independence.

This just in.  John Lennon is going to get his own Forever stamp next year.  There are rumors Yoko will be joining him the next year, faced sideways so she can scream in his ear. Never new furriners could be honored on American stamps, but then I remembered they did the same for Lafayette and others.