The Three Things That Suck Most About the Beatles

thebes

23 hours ago, Deang said:

Phuck the last 11 pages. I think The Beatles are awesome.

Tonight has been all Beatles -- I started when I got off of work, and I'm still going.

Perhaps even underrated 8-)

I got this book The Beates Recording Sessions which is documentation from EMI and interviews of those working with The Beatles. What I found fascinating is The Beatles work ethic in the studio. These guys lived in the studio well multiple studios they sort of owned all the studios there for a while. Good stuff.

image.thumb.png.34ae1a713c412252ec30e4f3dbdba12b.png

• Like 1

It is probably fair to say that The Beatles plus George Martin did change the musical world, along with others.  The '60s started with R&B adopted to mainstream America. Then the art form was elevated by Rubber Soul, Revolver, and, Sgt. Peppers to another form.  Then there was prog rock which IMHO, was given license by The Beatles.

As far as changing the political world, Lennon and Yoko were on Nixon's list, John's peace message had inspired fear in the White House. Of course by then The Pentagon Papers showed that the government had long realized that Viet Nam was hopeless, and pointless.  Yet the endemic fear of Communism caused leaders to double down, like a gambler in a losing game.

Yes, Lennon was one of many influences which shortened the mindless slaughter and gave a philosophical underpinning to the peace movement.  

I'll also credit Nixon.  He told the big lie of Peace with Honor.  At least it was over for the USA.

WMcD

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/8/2017 at 7:00 PM, thebes said:

It's a new holiday season but by gosh those spunky foursome are back at it again with yet another re-issue, this time its Sargent Pepperpot.

Arguably their most creative piece, it's basically a tricked up a 1940's British dancehall rendition, clouded by aromatic smoke.

Now granted 1967 was a seminal moment in music history, especial in rock (The Doors self-titled anyone?)

Then take a look at soul and r&b and and jazz releases for that year and you will wonder why you were so enamored of the mop tokers and so blind to what  was actually happening musically at the cusp of what was really the 60's (1965 to 1974 by my reckoning).

So for a limited time only I' m issuing a free, yes that's free!, barf bag with every proof of purchase of the Lonely Hearts. A far better offer than those capitalist cronies trying just one more time to screw you out of your honest ducats in what can only be considered "bad trip" down the nostalgic road, a bypass on the true road to sonic nirvana.

The Doors pumped out another one in 1967, also a better LP.

Disareli Gears

Two by Jimi, Axis and Are You Experienced 

2 hours ago, WMcD said:

It is probably fair to say that The Beatles plus George Martin did change the musical world, along with others.  The '60s started with R&B adopted to mainstream America. Then the art form was elevated by Rubber Soul, Revolver, and, Sgt. Peppers to another form.  Then there was prog rock which IMHO, was given license by The Beatles.

As far as changing the political world, Lennon and Yoko were on Nixon's list, John's peace message had inspired fear in the White House. Of course by then The Pentagon Papers showed that the government had long realized that Viet Nam was hopeless, and pointless.  Yet the endemic fear of Communism caused leaders to double down, like a gambler in a losing game.

Yes, Lennon was one of many influences which shortened the mindless slaughter and gave a philosophical underpinning to the peace movement.  

I'll also credit Nixon.  He told the big lie of Peace with Honor.  At least it was over for the USA.

WMcD

Yeah you can't leave out George Marin's influence and also the EMI techs and scientists who invented devices for The Beatles to get certain sounds. Not many bands had the luxury to practicially live in studios while working lol.