The Three Things That Suck Most About the Beatles

thebes

I guess I should have said first time used on a recording.

Zeppelin's whole first album was just covers, and Page can't bend a string without looking like he's passing a kidney stone. Plant can barely sing, I mean, the real kind of singing where the person has a voice of some sort. So why do these guys get a pass - and it's not like they started some kind of cultural revolution or anything.

But in the cold light of day, there was so much more out there that were far, far better.

Marty,

Name an album or two that were better at the time than Sgt. Pepper. Better works of creativity.

Gack!

Talk about insipid music. The whole albums one insipid pop hook after another.

Let's have an honest example of how crude the Beatles were.

1964. I want to hold your hand.

1964 John Coltrane, "A Love Supreme"

And Dean, quite referring to the Beatles as a rock band. They were a pop band. Period. And Johnny Guitar Watson is one of the greatest players of the age. Right up there with Django Reinhardt.

The Beatles earned billions while poor Johnny was forced to drive around in a plywood Cadillac.

post-12696-0-65320000-1392297427_thumb.j

• Like 1

Now Dean, it's a real stretch to call the Beatles a rock band, they were nothing but pop, although I'll grant they did try to stretch their limited talents a few times in their later efforts. However, compare their stuff in 1964 etc. to what else was available at that time and there is no comparison.

I was countering this by pointing out that they were the first to use feedback in a recording. This is a technique specific to Rock and Blues, not Pop. Good Rock has a lot of hooks and ear worms, and the only other band that comes close is Deep Purple.

"Although many bands have claimed the distinction, "I Feel Fine" was the first recorded song to feature guitar feedback. While recording, Lennon accidentally left his guitar (actually an acoustic Gibson with an electric P-90 pickup) too close to his Vox AC30 amp, producing an interesting whine in tune with the riff's opening note (A). Lennon worked during the ensuing takes to replicate the effect, which in the final version is actually produced by Paul's bass resonating an octave higher in John's pickup."

I was born in the 60's and for the life of me, I cant take extended periods of listening to the Beatles. There is just a handful of their material that I really enjoy. Maybe its that repetitive jangly, shrill guitar. Maybe the nasal sound of them singing in unison. I have tons of respect for them, but give me a George Harrison or Wings album and my rash will go away.

Could Brian Wilson answer all that firepower?

No way! Cannot really think of any one who could or can.

I'm not saying that they were the greatest, but the duo of Jagger & Richards, raised the bar for many years. They had some fire power at one time.

But their range musically is less broad and not as inventive, challenging, or inquisitive.
Without a doubt I agree with this statement. I think that L/M songs have held up much better over the years and still have much "staying power." J/R compositions, although in most cases are excellent, seem to have not advanced as well as time passes. The Beatle money making machine is still a dominating force in the music industry.

I haven't done this in years, but last night I listened to the cycle of Rubber Soul---Revolver---Sgt Pepper.

I've never done that. I shall have to try it.

Never done a cycle like that but have heard them all repeatedly. Pour yourself a drink and buckle your seat belt. You're in for a treat.

But their range musically is less broad and not as inventive, challenging, or inquisitive.
Without a doubt I agree with this statement. I think that L/M songs have held up much better over the years and still have much "staying power." J/R compositions, although in most cases are excellent, seem to have not advanced as well as time passes. The Beatle money making machine is still a dominating force in the music industry.

It seems like the Rolling Stones can't make any money with their latest recordings. A Bigger Bang is a pretty good CD, but it got no play on the classic rock stations that play all the old Stones music, and it got no play on the modern rock stations either. I was a bit surprised and disappointed at the lack of respect for the actual musicians, who are playing today. Their body of work won't have a cut-off point as long as they keep creating new music, but some radio stations seem to think the Stones are retired.

I haven't done this in years, but last night I listened to the cycle of Rubber Soul---Revolver---Sgt Pepper.

I've never done that. I shall have to try it.

I can't do it because I gave away all my Beatles albums years ago to a ***** shooting club. Note(for some reason the forum sotfware won't let me spell out the word to the type of club where they shoot clay pigeons. Wierd.)

There's only one true comparison to The Beatles and another band of similar talent. I herewith give you this group via a link to their most famous song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHCcA1pG35I&feature=kp

Edited by thebes