The Three Things That Suck Most About the Beatles

thebes

I haven't done this in years, but last night I listened to the cycle of Rubber Soul---Revolver---Sgt Pepper.

I've never done that. I shall have to try it.

Never done a cycle like that but have heard them all repeatedly. Pour yourself a drink and buckle your seat belt. You're in for a treat.

I've never done it either. Last year I bought, from Daddy Dee, the (stereo box set) re-issue of The Beatles US release albums. This should be fun.

The Beatles were my first real rock band. My best friend probably had everything they ever did on 45s. We would spin that stuff on his little BIC turntable and Radio Shack Mach 1s. It was awesome. I fell in love while listening to the Beatles (I think some Jefferson Airplane was on the record player too), smoked my first joint while listening to the Beatles, worked on my first engine while digging on the White Album, and can say that there isn't a single song, not one -- that I don't like. I sobbed when Lennon got shot, again when I heard about Harrison, and my heart broke for Paul when Linda left. I watched most of the special choking back tears. The band is like my life clock, and a part of me thinks that maybe when the last Beatle leaves, I might not be far behind.

Am I a failure as a music enthusiast (avoiding the A word)? Or is it the curse of my generation (I'm 32)?

I have some favorite albums and bands, but cannot pinpoint a single entity which has this much influence or sentiment in my life. Music is just, well, music.

Times have changed. Back when everyone watched the Ed Sullivan Show to see the Beatles, the Stones, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, the Doors, and lots of other groups that we'd hear, but never get to see any other way, it was like we were all on the same channel. Nowadays, entertainment is so fragmented that it's hard to imagine any single artist or group of artists dominating the music scene in the same way it was possible in the late Sixties and the Seventies.

So, yes, Thaddeus, your generation missed out on the era when bands and singers had really huge followings and were household names in most households. On the flip side, music fans of that era had nowhere near the variety of music that's easily found today.

Nothing, and no era, is perfect.

That's not to say that you couldn't find an era that seemed to have a lot going for it, as shown in this rather wordy example.

http://www.viruscomix.com/page475.html

Boxx I disagree about the staying power of the old stones songs. Songs like Satisfaction and Sympathy for the Devil are heard everywhere, and being used in all sorts of soundtracks, just to name two of their songs. Their new stuff might not sell like the old, but they are still alive (how that happened who knows). On one level I think of it like this: Assuming you were throwing a huge party, and had an unlimited budget in practical terms, which band would be better to hire? Rolling Stones at their peak or even slightly after or the Beatles? For a good time call----For me the Stones would be way better. Keep in mind the parameters folks. The Stones scream party time while the Beatles scream sit down and shut up. Both have their place.

Both have their place

Point well taken. However, where my generation might get pumped about a party where Stones music is pounding away, it is my thought that the most recent "two" generations" behind us that will be the takers of the Beatles material. I think it was a couple of years ago that Roger Daltry was pissed that British radio stations were playing too much "old" Beatles music. Those stations play what the listeners want even over there.

No doubt the songs Satisfaction and Sympathy for the Devil have weathered the years. I suppose, possibly, it is the depth of their catalog, that pulls the Beatles to the top.

Edited by Boxx

As for the next two generations, you are wrong

I may be, however I worked with high school age students for over 35 years and I can only attest to what I witnessed and discussed with them.

As far as later generations are concerned, only time will tell.

Edited by Boxx

It's splitting hairs I suppose, but the two recent generations would be the millennials and gen z. Gen x I would say splits over the stones and beatles, where the millennials like my nephew and even more so gen z know nothing of either, except what they may have heard in movies or tv and don't associate the music with a band they know.

Gen x I would say splits over the stones and beatles

These kids must have parents and relatives like us that exposed them to the greats. On the other hand, my son became a Doors fanatic in the 90's. He played for me Doors music that I didn't knew existed... lol.

Edited by Boxx

I was thinking that too Boxx. Kids will echo their parents until even a few years out of college.

It's also interesting how the Doors seem to add to their fan base across generations. My son was the same way. If you are not careful he will pick up a guitar....

Edited by oldtimer

As a 64 year old, I grew up as a folkie. Never really liked Peter Paul and Mary. I learned guitar listening to the Kingston Trio ( I think I stopped buying their LPs at number 26 or so). I started liking the Beatles after I got a copy of the Stones "Their Satanic Majesties Request". Really started to understand the Beatles with Abbey Road. They have, over time, created a large catalogue of various music that I think has yet to be passed by ANYONE.

Even the newer McCartney albums, to me, seem to continue the flavor and substance of "The Beatles". It's happy music, very listenable... Weather you consider it pop or rock ( I hate the categories), they are just pain good. Even Ringo is a substantial drummer.

Bruce

I've never done it either. Last year I bought, from Daddy Dee, the (stereo box set) re-issue of The Beatles US release albums. This should be fun.
The cycle has now started....

And if you miss it wait until around Christmas when, once again, a spiffy new box set will appear.

Are you suggesting something along these lines Thebes?

"Money (That's What I Want)"

The best things in life are free
But you can keep them for the birds and bees
Now give me money
That's what I want
That's what I want, yeah
That's what I want

You're lovin' gives me a thrill
But you're lovin' don't pay my bills
Now give me money
That's what I want
That's what I want, yeah
That's what I want

Money don't get everything it's true
What it don't get, I can't use
Now give me money
That's what I want
That's what I want, yeah
That's what I want, wah

Money don't get everything it's true
What it don't get, I can't use
Now give me money
That's what I want
That's what I want, yeah
That's what I want

Well now give me money
A lot of money
Wow, yeah, I wanna be free
Oh I want money
That's what I want
That's what I want, well
Now give me money
A lot of money
Wow, yeah, you need money
Now, give me money
That's what I want, yeah
That's what I want

Personally I prefer the Spinal Tap version:

Stop wasting my time
You know what I want
You know what I need
Or maybe you don't
Do I have to come right
Flat out and tell you everything?
Gimme some money
Gimme sone money
I'm nobody's fool
I'm nobody's clown
I'm treating you cool
I'm putting you down
But baby I don't intend to leave empty handed
Gimme some money
Gimme some money
Don't get me wrong
Try getting me right
Your face is ok but your purse is too tight
I'm looking for pound notes
Loose change
Bad checks, anything
Gimme some money
Gimme some money

And another thing. The only reason anyone above the age of gentrifying boomerhood that knows and/or will listen to the Beatles is because of a relentless multi-million dollar ongoing marketing campaign for the sole purpose of continuing to reap the billions of the Beatles brand.

The wonderful thing is the ready and wiling participation of the media, which is run by said boomers, and complicit in this charade. No, not because of some arcane conspiracy, but because of nostalgia. Or, so they can brag about catching a feel off of Penny Sue Busom at the local sock hop whilst said mop tops were warbling on the school gym stereo. Thus elevating their chops with there fellow geriatrics at the class reunion

I haven't done this in years, but last night I listened to the cycle of Rubber Soul---Revolver---Sgt Pepper.

I can't do it because I gave away all my Beatles albums years ago to a ***** shooting club. Note(for some reason the forum sotfware won't let me spell out the word to the type of club where they shoot clay pigeons. Wierd.)

There's only one true comparison to The Beatles and another band of similar talent. I herewith give you this group via a link to their most famous song:

It's not a weird reason the forum blocks it. "*****, *****" is slang for a coitus climax used in some early 21st century rap songs and therefore blocked by the forum's vocubalary filter. Edited by Thaddeus Smith

I can't do it because I gave away all my Beatles albums years ago to a ***** shooting club. Note(for some reason the forum sotfware won't let me spell out the word to the type of club where they shoot clay pigeons. Wierd.)

There's only one true comparison to The Beatles and another band of similar talent. I herewith give you this group via a link to their most famous song:

It's not a weird reason the forum blocks it. "*****, *****" is slang for a coitus climax used in some early 21st century rap songs and therefore blocked by the forum's vocubalary filter.

Coitus Interruptus, specifically.

• Like 1