What are good car speakers and amp?

Jeff Matthews

I think what most of are getting at is, spending the $300 may not be worth it. Potentially, just upgrading your headunit will do wonders for your system. If you get one with some more bells and whistles, you may be able to tune what you have to sound better. I noticed this with my dads old camry. He put in a clarion double din deck because his OEM deck died and it was a world of difference in clarity and some extra power. His deck was like $200 about 5 years ago. This is just an alternative thought.

You could probably do what i suggested above. Buy from crutchfield and see if you like the deck. If you find that it isn't suiting your needs, return the deck. They have a good return policy.

I think what most of are getting at is, spending the $300 may not be worth it

I swapped out the speakers in my wives minivan for some Polk Audio's and really noticed a difference. That was the only change to her stereo at the time. Most stock speakers are pretty crappy.

Most stock speakers are pretty crappy.

That's the theory I am working off of. On the possibility I might need an external amp, I was thinking about that, too. I have 6 speakers, so does that mean I'd have to have 2 amps if I need to buy amps?

I will not change the head unit.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

They make car amps in many channel configurations, depending on the load and what the amp is stable at a single 4 ch might be all you need. If your running 4 ohms on one side of the amp and 8 ohms on the other side you can balance it with the gains.

If you have a small budget an amp for your mains should be the last place you should look.

As for what to replace first ( speakers or head unit ), it depends on the unit itself. I have heard some decent head units sound good with aftermarket speakers and vice versa.

Auto manufactures buy whatever is cheapest, a dollar saved per car adds up.

I would start out with a set of high efficiency front speakers first and go from there. This should give the most bang for the buck.

Please name some high-efficiency speakers. I have no idea how to tell efficiency from reading the rudimentary specs (which always seem to be something like "5-75 watts RMS").

A few 6 1/2" high efficiency speakers are:

Blaupunkt CX160 is 92db

The JL C2-650 is 91db

Pioneer TS-M650PRO is 94db

Pioneer TS-A1605C is 90db

Kenwood KFC-1664S is 92db

Rockford Fosgate R165X3 is 91db

So, here is the description I located for the stock system in the care:

104-watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 Audio System with 6 Speakers

To get to wpc, am I supposed to take the 104 and divide by 6? If so, I have 17 wpc?

If I have only 17 wpc, what will total dB output be at say, 12 wpc, through the Pioneer speakers that give 94 dB at 1 watt?

This should get you going under $300 Speakers

Hey, I like the specs on those speakers at that price. They meet the efficiency suggestion above.

Frankly, I think I'm satisfied that the existing speakers in the car make enough bass, so I assume if they were replaced with the ones above, there'd likewise be enough base for me.

All I was wanting to get is volume. Maybe these speakers, by themselves, would do the trick. I wonder whether my stock radio (see above; it says 104 watts with 6 speakers) can drive those speakers to get the volume I want.