DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)

Youthman

This is what's going to happen:

1. You're going to be blown away.

2. You're not going to understand how what little I did can possibly make that big of a difference.

3. You're not going to want to tell the complete truth about how you really feel because you know that everyone will think you're overstating things.

4. You will dial it down some because you're not going to want to sound over the top with your impressions.

5. Those who have experienced this will know what you're really hearing, but won't say anything because they don't want to be ridiculed by the naysayers.

6. The naysayers will say: a] you're hearing what you want to hear, B] hearing an improvement because you want to c] hearing an improvement because I said you would, d] hearing an improvement because you spent money, oops, can't use that one. e] placebo, because all caps sound the same (in spite of the fact that they actually measure differently).

I actually think it's the resistors, but don't tell anyone.

Hearing an improvement because you're really hearing an improvement won't be a consideration.

I've been doing this for 10 years. The patterns and reactions are predictable and well established.

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1

btw, here's an example of what Dean is talking about. I'm competent at soldering - I've done headphones, connectors, the occasional through hole board - but after successfully swapping in the wima and elna caps I absolutely murdered this amp when trying to upgrade to the bourns inductors. I was being very careful, but lacked the proper tools to remove the surface mount inductors and managed to rip off a couple of the solder pads.

after about an hour of frantic googling and forum questioning I returned to the project and managed to scrape enough of the board traces away to salvage the amp. but now it looks like *** covered in hot glue to make sure the components stay secure and don't further damage the board by pulling away.

i'm not dumb. and it was a great chance to learn something new. but i very nearly wasted a $20 amp and $20 in upgrade parts because i didn't have all of the right tools or past experience. and i'm many readers on my other threads were pinching their nose bridge and shaking their heads.

amp1.jpg

2. You're not going to understand how what little I did can possibly make that big of a difference.

3. You're not going to want to tell the complete truth about how you really feel because you know that everyone will think you're overstating things.

4. You will dial it down some because you're not going to want to sound over the top with your impressions.

5. Those who have experienced this will know what you're really hearing, but won't say anything because they don't want to be ridiculed by the naysayers.

6. The naysayers will say: a] you're hearing what you want to hear, B] hearing an improvement because you want to c] hearing an improvement because I said you would, d] hearing an improvement because you spent money, oops, can't use that one. e] placebo, because all caps sound (in spite of the fact that they actually measure differently).

Hearing an improvement because you're really hearing an improvement won't be a consideration.

I've been doing this for 10 years. The patterns and reactions are predictable and well established.

...And there you have it! That said, does anyone think Youthman won't be thrilled with the results?

6. The naysayers will say: a] you're hearing what you want to hear, B] hearing an improvement because you want to c] hearing an improvement because I said you would, d] hearing an improvement because you spent money, oops, can't use that one. e] placebo, because all caps sound (in spite of the fact that they actually measure differently).

this sounds about right. ;)

the "testimonial" in an open forum is the purist form of getting to the bottom of truth.

Well...I noticed that the Cable debate is still going on so I guess some things never get settled. :D

lol... true.

TDK, I did the RF-7 network swap out in a room full of people down in Arkansas. Before I started, I don't think anyone thought they would hear anything different or better. Afterwards, every single person agreed that the improvement was not subtle and very easy to hear. Trey Cannon was there, and he asked me how I got rid of the ringing. I repeated this the following year in Indianapolis using Trey's LaScalas - again, in a full room of people, and I was almost mugged by everyone wanting to know what I did. You were there, so you know what I'm talking about, and yet you have the audacity to come into this thread with your pithy nonsense. I really don't have anything to prove, it's all history.

TDK, I did the RF-7 network swap out in a room full of people down in Arkansas. Before I started, I don't think anyone thought they would hear anything different or better. Afterwards, every single person agreed that the improvement was not subtle and very easy to hear. Trey Cannon was there, and he asked me how I got rid of the ringing. I repeated this the following year in Indianapolis using Trey's LaScalas - again, in a full room of people, and I was almost mugged by everyone wanting to know what I did. You were there, so you know what I'm talking about, and yet you have the audacity to come into this thread with your pithy nonsense. I really don't have anything to prove, it's all history.

Wow. You must be getting me mixed up with someone else because I have nothing against you Dean and as mentioned did not hear your crossovers.

it also makes the most sincere effort feel incredibly dumb. as i've shared across forums, it has become apparent that charge coupling your crossovers is stupid and so are the people who do it. :rolleyes:

Yes, I was told the same today. I was told it was "stupid bullshit". I was also told that my paper in oil builds are based on old, outdated designs, while the SuperX is an entry level design built with over priced parts.

I actually laughed, and considering how well I take criticism, this should be seen as a monumental leap in my development. : )

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1

it also makes the most sincere effort feel incredibly dumb. as i've shared across forums, it has become apparent that charge coupling your crossovers is stupid and so are the people who do it. :rolleyes:

Yes, I was told the same today. I was told it was "stupid bullshit". I was also told that my paper in oil builds are based on old, outdated designs, while the SuperX is an entry level design built with over priced parts.

I actually laughed, and considering how well I take criticism, should be seen as a monumental leap in my development:)

that is just sick... I mean really.

Judgement without cause or the slightest sample of the goodness that can be had is really misguided.

these things you build are stunning... AND they are based on old outdated designs :P

Edited by Schu

I absolutely murdered this amp when trying to upgrade to the bourns inductors. I was being very careful, but lacked the proper tools to remove the surface mount inductors and managed to rip off a couple of the solder pads.

LOL, I think you are being modest when it comes to surface mount devices (SMD) as it is easy for the hobbyist to mess that up. I've also soldered many point-to-point projects and several PCB-based projects, but SMDs seem to be a whole new ball game for me as my eyes have trouble focusing and my hands are not steady enough for much success in soldering SMDs since these components typically have a much smaller form than the traditional through-hole components.

Edited by Fjd

I actually laughed, and considering how well I take criticism, should be seen as a monumental leap in my development:)

that is just sick... I mean really.

Judgement without cause or the slightest sample of the goodness that can be had is really misguided.

these things you build are stunning... AND they are based on old outdated designs :P

and they sound even better than they look.....or so I'm told

Uh, no, I'm not mixing you up with anyone. It was right after the demo, and you walked up to me sitting in my chair and asked me if you should do your RF-7s. I asked you if you were happy with them, and you said you were. So I said to leave them alone. I figured if a person could ask a question like that after THAT demo - there was no way in hell I was doing their networks. : P